Disability specific employment — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Disability specific employment

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
edited January 5 in Work and employment
Topic.

It pains me to have to resort to this seeing as under normal circumstances I refuse on principle to be plonked into some government sponsored scheme where all the disabled "clients" are on benefits and can't earn much without the DWP jumps on them from a great height with benefit sanctions, however it's come to my attention that I will probably never be able to work in for want of a better word, the "normal" world, so a disability specific position would possibly, under sufferance, be an option.

Are there such positions available though? I know that because of government equality laws, stuff like Remploy Factories were closed down years ago, but are there other gainful and meaningful employment options for disabled adults that pay a half decent wage beyond the paltry 2 quid a day previously paid?

The problems for me are due to my personal circumstances, I cannot work full time, and also every time I declare my disability, I get insta-rejected in most cases.

Is there a way round this? I am too honest for my own good and the first thing I do when applying for any job is declare my disability, consequently it'll be 2 years in March since I last worked.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 4,989

Scope community team

edited January 5
    I'm not aware of any government operated job opportunities intended for disabled people, other than of course a disability employment adviser, but as the name suggests they're more for just advice.

If you want to work, I would advise thinking of organisations that you would like to work for, either because of what they do or because you know they'll be accommodating. Draft up a list of those organisations and then keep an eye on their job boards. 

Have you taken a look at any of Scope's employment services? These would help you with many things, including:
    • career advice
    • job searching and interview preparation
    • CV writing

When I was unemployed, there were many stages where I felt low and wished there was some kind of scheme that would hand me an opportunity on a plate, and it really got me down at times because I felt as though I had no help, and didn't know where to go to find help. I was even doubtful that even if I found something that looked helpful it ultimately wouldn't do anything for me.

It's about taking things one step at a time, considering what you need to do to gain employment and seeking the right advice to help you get there.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • [Deleted User]
    I'm not aware of any government operated job opportunities intended for disabled people, other than of course a disability employment adviser, but as the name suggests they're more for just advice.

If you want to work, I would advise thinking of organisations that you would like to work for, either because of what they do or because you know they'll be accommodating. Draft up a list of those organisations and then keep an eye on their job boards. 

Have you taken a look at any of Scope's employment services? These would help you with many things, including:
    • career advice
    • job searching and interview preparation
    • CV writing

When I was unemployed, there were many stages where I felt low and wished there was some kind of scheme that would hand me an opportunity on a plate, and it really got me down at times because I felt as though I had no help, and didn't know where to go to find help. I was even doubtful that even if I found something that looked helpful it ultimately wouldn't do anything for me.

It's about taking things one step at a time, considering what you need to do to gain employment and seeking the right advice to help you get there.
    I've had Disability Employment Advisers over the years from Job Centre Plus and to put it politely most of them were worse than useless. The first one I had back when I was on the Jobseekers in 1998, I told him I wanted shop floor based Retail work, he immediately started looking at Warehouse work, complete opposite of what I asked for.. I want to be out there serving customers, not "hidden away" in the Warehouse so that the company don't have to admit they hired a disabled guy.

I haven't spent the last 25 years working in nearly every Charity shop in Sheffield and not gained customer facing retail experience and skills.

Also I've had help with my CV over the years, and have had interviews, but I can never explain big gaps in my employment history especially when 100% of my previous employment is voluntary, either actual volunteering or College work placements.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,342 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 you have asked in so many different ways about getting a job I dont think there is any more advice I can give 

You may have had issues with job centre in the past but that was a long time ago and things have changed since then and there isnt really many other organisations 

Also as said b4 now really isnt the best time to be looking for work as companies are struggling to keep people in employment and making cuts due to the pandemic 

However you ask the answers will be the same 

Have you looked at the scope help as mentioned above 

I understand your wanting to work believe me I hated it when I became unable to work but sometimes we just have to accept the inevitable and that there are just too many things preventing us from working 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,346 Disability Gamechanger
    Is this groundhog day ?
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • janer1967
    @,woodbine seems like it is 

@MrAllen1976 I wont comment any further other than to say I have advised all I can on this topic 

I have spent 30 years in recruitment and recruited thousands of employees including disabled people . I have implemented disability recruitment projects and was one of the first HR managers to get their company approved on the two ticks scheme in sheffield I have worked with job centres and offered placements to many disabled people and know how they work hard to try and place people in to work and think after the pandemic is over that us when you should seek employment 

I wish you every bit of luck in finding work but unless you specifically ask me for advice I wont comment any further on your job related posts 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,872 Disability Gamechanger
    Everytime you ask a question like this, you throw in something that happened in the late 90's. You also continue to mention your local JCP. Oddly, we have fast forwarded to 2021 and things are so much different now, to what they were back more than 20 years ago.

I've claimed JSA myself in the past and my job coach at my local JCP couldn't have been nicer, who also put me intouch with a disability advisor. It was from there that because of my disanility i was advised i would be better off claiming ESA, which i did and i've been claiming it ever since.

A lot of the questions you've been asking are the same questions, to which the answers are mostly available through a google search. I don't really understand why you keep asking members not to tell you not to use google, when it's extremely helpful to use it.

There are currently millions of people who have been made redundant and likely millions more that will be made redundant, so the amount of people applying for the same job is likely to run into the thousands so yes the competition will be very large.
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

I have to say @MrAllen1976 I do admire your drive and determination to find yourself a settled job, and if that is your ambition then I would advise you to strive to achieve it, because you can do it. I hope you consider the advice I have given above, as well as any constructive tips others have provided you here and in the past. Please always feel free to post about employment in the future and ask for advice on any aspect of it.

I think it's important for people to consider the reasons for which a person might post about a topic on multiple occasions, @MrAllen1976 is clearly passionate about this subject and wants to do his best to navigate what can often be a tricky and inaccessible system, in the hope of gaining employment. That's without mentioning the countless strings attached to the subject of work, it's a mightily complicated area.

I'm sure we've all felt failed by society at certain points in our lives for one reason or another, and those experiences can sometimes leave scars, or give us an impression of a certain area of life that may be different to the impression of others. none of this is a bad thing, it's normal to have differing outlooks, it's what makes a vibrant, diverse and helpful community, we can offer our insight based on our own unique life experience.

As always, I would urge everyone to consider their tone when commenting on a topic, and think about how your words might come across to others. If you don't feel as though you have anything constructive to say, or aren't confident that you can phrase criticism or negative feedback constructively throughout a post, then it is sometimes wise not to comment.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Posts: 4,605 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 I have sought help from scope job support i had my first meeting on the phone today  it is realy helpful 

I am aware that job support is different in enland  than Wales I was refferd to wellbeing  support scope  as I live in Wales but they can still help you  it is hard finding a job and I think its worse now with the corona virus 

I hope that you can get the help you need 🙂 

• lisathomas50
    @poppy123456 hi poppy in wales there are a few organisations that help people with disabilities  that are looking for  work  other than job centers and scope  I dont know if you have anything like that in England we have hoyle and community working things like that 
  • janer1967
    @MrAllen1976

I havejust seen part time job advertised for Heron foods in High Green something you may be interested in 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,599 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 7
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

I think it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with employers listed on the Disability Confident Scheme  @MrAllen1976. While simply being on that list doesn't automatically guarantee that a prospective employer will be accommodating and inclusive, it shows a determination from the employer's side of things to be better in that regard. 

From personal experience, I have found that employers signed up to the scheme are more likely to have processes in place for hiring and retaining disabled employees, when compared to those who aren't signed up. But of course that doesn't mean that employers who aren't part of the scheme are not inclusive or accommodating.

• lisathomas50
    @Ross_Scope is it hard to get a job in England  if you have a disability??

I found in wales before covid 19 it wasn't so hard to get a job it was keeping it  I have always worked up untill I had corona virus at the beging of the year and again in July 

When my lupus was good mu employers were great  then when I was poorly not so great but in 10 years I only had four days sick if I was havring a bad day I just wasn't as quick  most of my eorking life I have been a carer  now I want to change jobs and only work part time 

I am getting help from the wellbeing support which is still scope but apparently do more to help thats why I was reffered and I get support for six months if I need it 

I think its alot harder to find a job now and can tske longer to fund employment  alot of people have gone to deliveroo  just eat uber and amazon  as delivery drivers  apparently thats where the money is 

I tried it pre covid its not my cup of tea  and some disabilitys wouldn't suit that type of job anyway 

Some people have created there own way of mskeing money  my  cousin makes dolls and things like that and sells on line she declares what she makes but she trys to stay under as she is allowed to earn so much before it affects her money 

Its is hard every  where to find a suitable job at the moment 

• [Deleted User]
    I think it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with employers listed on the Disability Confident Scheme  @MrAllen1976. While simply being on that list doesn't automatically guarantee that a prospective employer will be accommodating and inclusive, it shows a determination from the employer's side of things to be better in that regard. 

From personal experience, I have found that employers signed up to the scheme are more likely to have processes in place for hiring and retaining disabled employees, when compared to those who aren't signed up. But of course that doesn't mean that employers who aren't part of the scheme are not inclusive or accommodating.
    I found info on 513 Enterprises Ltd from the list via a Google search, no contact info for them.

And to be honest I don't want Factory work.

• woodbine
    @MrAllen1976 I thought you had decided that you didn't want any work now? or did I read that incorrectly?
  • lisathomas50
    @MrAllen1976 what sort of work are you looking to do 
  • woodbine
    @Ross_Scope I think tbh that multiple post on the same subject, where we have in the past done our best to give positive advice can be a tad annoying, we should remember all of us that certain members give freely of a lot of their time to try and help people and that those people should be treated with respect, and yes I agree that every forum has to have rules without them it would be chaos, but I do know that a number of us are getting to the point where we avoid certain things on here because we know they will only turn into a bun fight.
    Just my humble opinion 
    John x
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

Scope community team

Just catching up with some posts and I'm happy to see you are remaining proactive in looking for work.  I know you are based in South Yorkshire and wondered if you'd looked at the Sheffield Voluntary Action website before? This lists some jobs local to you that on occasion seek people with lived experience of impairment, so although nothing might jump out at the moment, keep it in your bookmarks.  

Also, it might be worth getting in touch with the team at Disability Sheffield.  You could contact them explaining your work history so they can get in touch with you if they know of any opportunities.

I'll keep an eye out for anything else  :)  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Ross_Scope

Scope community team

I found info on 513 Enterprises Ltd from the list via a Google search, no contact info for them.

And to be honest I don't want Factory work.

@MrAllen1976
    There isn't always contact details, if you find an employer you would be interested in working for, it might be a good idea to navigate to the careers section of their website and fill out your details so you can get alerts about any vacancies. 

I'm not sure if you're implying that the majority of employers registered as disability confident would only offer factory work, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you'll find such a variety of companies on that list, from national names to local organisations.

As an example, near to where I live there is a residential care provider that is registered for the scheme, and nationally you have companies like Virgin Media and Sky who are on it, and I can vouch for the inclusivity and accessibility of their interview processes.

• chiarieds
    Hi @woodbine & Scope team - I don't mind multiple posts, in that I understand members express their thoughts in many different ways, & everyone here tries to help. However, it does seem however politely done, that some of us are getting told off, or our opinions are of little worth.
    I've deleted a comment I made on here about my son's experience working in a retailer, as immediately a post was put on about the Disability Confident Scheme, tho saying some who weren't on it might also be disabled friendly. I thought personal experience (or that I'd got from my son at least) might be helpful, but felt it mattered for little. Elsewhere, we have been told (at the end of several posts) to remember the community guidelines, etc. I'm beginning to feel reluctant to comment on any serious topic, sorry.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,091

Scope community team

Hi @chiarieds. I'm sorry you felt the need to delete your post. Sharing personal experience is extremely useful and is something I would actively encourage from all members. It's one of the key components of discussion groups and no one should feel discouraged posting their own experiences. 

Sadly, I think you are not the only one who feels like this at the moment. If you read between the lines of many posts, lots of members are feeling like they shouldn't share their own experiences because they'll be told they're wrong.
    It would seem to me that this general feeling is at the root of many of the arguments and much of the tension across the community.

I highly value everyone's opinions and contributions and I'm very sorry to read you're feeling as though yours aren't being valued currently. I would encourage you (and anyone else feeling this way) to carry on sharing their experiences. 

I'm very fond of this quote by Albert Einstein:
    'The only source of knowledge is experience.'

He's considerably smarter than me so it must be true! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

• lisathomas50
    @chiarieds I personally felt when you posted about your son that it was good news and gave people hope  thsts why I share my on going duport with the wellbeing team of scope supporting me to find a job

Peoples experience helps others I think and why people think its wrong 
  • [Deleted User]
    @woodbine if my posts about employment annoy you, you do not have to comment every time, like I told you the other day, post counts are irrelevant.

• Ross_Scope

Scope community team

edited January 15
    Just a friendly reminder to keep comments respectful and considerate. You might not all agree with what one another have to say, but please express this in the kindest way possible. 

@MrAllen1976, please feel free to post about this topic as much as you like, and if anybody doesn't like that I would encourage them to hold those feelings back and not comment, just as I would encourage you not to retaliate in any way and risk de-railing your own very important thread. 

Anyway, have you considered any of the advice given here, I'm curious? :) 

• woodbine
    @woodbine if my posts about employment annoy you, you do not have to comment every time, like I told you the other day, post counts are irrelevant.

I thought no I won't bite then I thought actually post counts are relevant, if I see someone with 8,000 post then they get my respect for sticking around and taking part, on the other hand if I see someone with 100 post it helps me recognise that they are reasonably new to the forum. I note that the post you refer to was removed by the way.
    Now i've had my say (again ) and its best i put you on my ignore list, a very short list btw.
  • [Deleted User]
    I have put woodbine on ignore, he's been baiting me all week and enough's enough.

I have applied for several jobs recently including a voluntary job working in the Sally Army Charity shop in s5 but I am yet to hear back from most of them, except I had to drop out of an offer of a job in central Doncaster yesterday because I don't and can't have a Windows PC to test PC games.

• woodbine
    I have been a model of patience and virtue and will remain so, I did say above that I would add you to my ignore list (a list of 1) but decided against such a childish action as we are all adults here.
    I would love it if you could show people where I have been "baiting" you, a few days ago you even put "awesome" to some advice I gave you.
    I have said this before but I will say it again, a lot of people on this forum give their time and advice freely and with good will, it is a friendly forum full of great people .
  • Cher_Inactive

Scope community team

Hi @MrAllen1976 and @woodbine

Although we will never like, nor be friends, with everyone it's important to remember our community is based on the principles of being friendly and respectful to others.  As such, now seems like a good point to 'draw a line in the sand' and move on to more constructive conversations.

Should you want to discuss the matter more, please email the Community Team at [email protected] And in the mean-time, thank you for your valued contributions and understanding :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• woodbine
    @Cher_Scope i take that all onboard but have to say that someone from admin beat you to it, made me laugh to be honest when I thought about it, as one minute we are being told it's fine to have an opinion, the next minute being told that my post are being monitored which again when i thought about that I was less than pleased. But I will be a good boy from now on. And I promise not to have an opinion.
    Please understand that I am not having ago at you, just some of the double standards that we see too often on here, shame really as it's a friendly place and for 99% of the time I feel respected and valued.
    To say I am upset is a massive understatement as I write this i have a tear in my eye.
    John x
  • Cher_Inactive

Scope community team

@woodbine I'm sorry to hear that and our intention is never to upset our members.  To emphasise, different opinions are more than welcome and are vital to the life-blood of the community.  However, where opinions breach our online guidelines, we have a responsibility as moderators to intervene and ensure the community remains a safe space for everyone.  

It might seem that these rules aren't routinely applied to all, yet as a Community Team we endeavour to be objective and have integrity in our actions, treating everyone the same without exception.  This isn't always visible on the community as so much goes on behind the scenes, and is rightly kept confidential.  But please be assured our moderating isn't personal and has a purpose, to keep the community the friendly haven it is.

Take care  :)

• lisathomas50
    Please can we all try to be nice I admit when I came on here I was bit all over the place stressed 

Now I am realy poorly with corona virus I feel like I am dying 

What I am trying to say is life is to short for falling out with people people are dying all around us  

Most people who go off the site say why they are leaving  I havent been here long enough to know if anyone one has gine off the site and not said but uou could be talking to someone on here who suddenly just drops off the group that maybe you have had a cross word with and thry don't come back uou don't know if this person has passed away 

Some prople come on here because they are lonely  don't see people we all have different problems  I know I repeat myself sometimes on here I do it becsuse I forget if I have said something before but most of the time it's becsuse some has asked me something I have answered before I dont mind 

We don't have to answer  when we read something but as you said @woodbine we are adults and you saying about the ignore button has caused mr Allen to say the same because he is upset 

I have put on here several times that I have corona virus not becsuse I want sympathy because I am scared  I am scared I am going to die so people do put things that are repetitive  mr Allen is probably  frustrated that he cant get a job and sometimes just saying it to someone helps plus new people come on here all the time that may be able to suggest something new to mr Allen

I know that was long but at least if this was the last thing I was saying to anyone it was a nice thing 
  • lisathomas50
    @woodbine I know I am monitored or I was but I am glad that they do that it protects you both ways  on a bigger scale we are all being monitored one way or another in the world eg anything you do on the Internet is monitored  your monitored in banking  when your shopping when your driving  basically life is monitored one way or another 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @lisathomas50 @woodbine & the Scope team. @lisathomas50 - you got off to a shaky start, but are doing great now, thank you. I'm dreadfully sorry you have Covid-19 for the third time & are feeling so very poorly. I appreciate what you're trying to say, & agree that life can sometimes be too short......something I rarely mention because my eldest daughter says this, & always gives someone the benefit of the doubt as we lost our youngest daughter, her little sister, when she was only 23 months old. 
    Please know however that we all try to be more than 'nice' to each other; this community matters to us all. After being a Scope member for a little while, I respected @woodbine who had been here longer, & my views have not changed in the slightest. I hope you take it kindly Lisa, but you're preaching to the converted, as I sometimes feel the Scope team do too. We try our best; might sometimes get it wrong, but it's never our intent. If we could know that a member had left because of the wrong word, of course it would be taken back.
    The Scope team are rightly objective, as I try to be about medical info, but I would ask the Scope team to weigh up on the one hand how many people @woodbine may likely have helped against any distress you feel he may have caused....to say nothing about the distress you've caused him, also another Scope member, thank you.
  • lisathomas50
    @chiarieds I understand what your saying and and you have the right to say what you have to say and that is totally fine  and your right I havent been here long but my comment wasn't aimed at one person I take no offence to whst you have said 

I think maybe my surroundings have caused me to come over a bit heavy I also have lost a child in 1999 his name is Adam he was only a baby and I am so sorry you went through the loss of losing a child 

But I do see both sides I think it was ok up until the point where the ignore button was mentioned but we all say silly things that get taken the wrong way and we regret saying it 

People being repetative doesn't bother me as my mum has dementia and I was a carer in the community I can have a conversation with my mum and thst conversation could go on through out the day when I had her with me for three months but on the phone she will ask me several times the same question which then dominates the whole phone call 

Which is why I understand  but there is always the option on here to ignore or not reply the choice is ours  there is fault on both sides if you look at it objectavily doesn't realy matter how long or how many people you have helped if you have said the wrong thing then you have said the wrong thing 😉 
  • janer1967
    @lisathomas50 sorry to hear you are so unwell with covid for the 3rd time of having it 

I'm not doubting you but for my own knowledge was just curious as I was led to believe you could only get it once and then you had the antibodies as they are using cells from people who have had it to give to those who are ill 
  • lisathomas50
    My white blood cells were damaged anyway becsuse I have lupus  when I got corona virus the first time I was worse than I am now  the second time I got it going to a hospital appointment  and this time from my eye appointment 

You don't build up antibodies but they are saying now thst someone who has had corona virus gives blood so they can put blood into someone who hasn't to see if that builds it up but thst is only being trialed now 

In wales two  nurses who had the vaccinations  one and two have since caught corona virus since thry had it done 

No one knows enough about it it can damage the heart the lungs the liver your sight your smell your taste your hearing your sleep  its a horrible thing its annoying when you already know you got it and it says this 
  • lisathomas50
    I have had it nearly a week lol 
  • lisathomas50
    @janer1967 my doctor told me that i could get more than once the first time I got it 

A cold is a form of corona virus and there has never been a cure for that either 

From my experience  in a job I did this covid 19 will run its 4 year course its going into its second year now after four years its strength will be lost and it will turn into a seasonal winter problem 

The corona virus didn't survive so well in the summer but it also doesn't survive in Iceland the antarctic somewhere like that which is pretty weird because it has still spread in hot countries 

There is so much more to know about this virus  the mutated version we have now has a faster rate of spreading some people have had it 4 times   my next door neighbor is on her 4th time 

It will be a long lockdown this time 
  • janer1967
    Thanks for the update @lisathomas50 interesting info I know there is still lots to learn about this horrible virus 

Hope you feel better soon have you considered if you should go to hospital ? 
  • lisathomas50
    @janer1967 I have been in hospital because I have lupus they have given me the treatment I needed and I have come home with oxygen and I have a nurse come in the morning and dinner time and comes in at teatime then twice in the night 

My breathing is alot better today 
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

Hi @lisathomas50

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with the virus again, I really hope you get better soon. Please remember to follow the relevant advice, such as this from the NHS, and ensure to look after yourself. If you feel as though your condition is worsening and it is concerning you, then speak with your medical professional about what you should do.

Hi @MrAllen1976
    Glad to hear you've been applying for some things, it's worth noting that the shops you've applied to will be closed right now and might take time to get back to you because of this. Keep it up though, the more eggs you have in the basket then the better, as long as it's a role you're interested in :) 

• lisathomas50
    @Ross_Scope since I last spoke I went in to hospital back out now and I have oxygen and a nurse  comring I have always followed the rules thats what is annoying  me 

First time I had it was when I was working as a carer  the second  time from a hospital appointment and this time from my eye appointment 

There alit if people not following the rules and the new virus is sweeping across Wales I live in a village where only one thousand people live and gor our village today there is 600 cases we have already had 22 deaths here including  children only food drliverys and delivery's are allowed to stop in the village its hitting Wales pretty bad when they brought me home from hospital there were 12 ambulances waiting with patients in them waiting to be seen 

I dont practice Christianity but I prsyed to god for help today the nurse who came to me was on her way home from her shift to check on me this morning and she had just done 14hrs and she ssid its heart breaking and she said I am better being treated at home she is going to be my nurse fir next seven days so I know she will be ok she is lovely and lives in the village 

• Ross_Scope

Scope community team

I'm glad you have the support of the nurse @lisathomas50, take it easy and look after yourself :) 

• lisathomas50
    @Ross_Scope thank you this group is keeping me going  night time is the worse 
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

I'm glad the community helps you @lisathomas50.

• [Deleted User]
    @Ross_Scope I found 2 local employers in Sheffield via that disability confident employers list and have sent some emails after Googling their websites.

• chiarieds
    Hi @lisathomas50 - you mention that, 'You don't build up antibodies but they are saying now thst someone who has had corona virus gives blood so they can put blood into someone who hasn't to see if that builds it up but thst is only being trialed now.' Might you say more, & give links, please.
    My understanding from recent news was that in a retrospective 5 month trial, 83% of those tested positive for Covid-19 didn't contract it again in that 5 month period. Hopefully we'll learn more in the coming months, but who told you that you don't 'build up antibodies?' That seems to be the whole point of currently available vaccines.
    Also please say where you've found out that blood from those identified with Coronavirus is being trialed to help people. It seems like messenger RNA is used with the Pfizer vaccine, which triggers your body to produce antibodies & stimulates your immune cells to therefore help protect a person should they contract Covid-19. A genetically modified virus (from a Chimpanzee's cold) is the model for the Oxford vaccine, which is cheaper to make, & doesn't need to be stored at such low temperatures.
    Anyone interested please see some questions & answers here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/03/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-questions-answered/
    I hope you are feeling better soon; you've been through a lot, Do keep on taking care.
  • janer1967
    @chiarieds I am part of the office for national statistics covid research and they take swabs and blood each month to check for antibodies so there must be some connection to antibodies 

I know they were asking for those who had the virus to donate and most vaccines you are given the virus in order to build up antibodies 

One if the reasons I asked lisa the question and hope this doesn't concern other members thinking the same thing 
  • woodbine
    I have to say (careful John think before you type) that i am concerned to read that you can get CV19 more than once over a short period, everything i've read and understood lead me to believe otherwise, the last time i left the house was 23rd Dec. and i will probably have to go out this week. I don't expect to have the jab until the spring. @janer1967 I have to say i agree with what you say and i think many will be concerned.
  • janer1967
    As with anything we all have our own opinions and I for one will go with what I hear from the professionals and scientists on the matter . 
  • poppy123456
    There's some information here regarding immunity to Covid, which does say that a recent study led by Public Health England (PHE) shows most people who have had the virus are protected from catching it again for at least five months (the duration of the analysis so far).

• chiarieds
    Hi @janer & @woodbine - my daughter does part time work for ONS (Office for National Staistics), but nothing to do with Covid-19, however I realise their importance. I have to say I couldn't agree with you more....you are given a very small part of the virus (messenger RNA or mRNA), which triggers the production of antibodies & stimulates our bodies T cells to help protect the immune system, which helps protect against Covid-19.
    I've spent part of this morning looking at the medical info to check what I 'thought was correct.' As mentioned, the statistics seem to show, & this was just looking back at the last 5 months, that 83% of people who were found to have had Covid-19 didn't get it again in that 5 month period. So, a minority may get Covid-19 again. More will be known the longer this pandemic goes on with further longer retrospective studies.
    I just felt it would help our members to know more too by looking at respected resources. If anyone wants links to medical papers about the Pfizer or Oxford vaccines I would be pleased to provide further info. I do feel it's important to ask questions to balance things out, & give the best possible advice about Covid. We all need to know as much as possible.
  • janer1967
    I suppose there are always exceptions to every rule 83% is a very positive result but does show minority may get infected again 

As above it is very early days in the research but I think they have all worked well to even have a vaccine ready this quick 

• lisathomas50
    @chiarieds my blood test said I have no antibodies  i had corona virus in beginning of March again at the end of July  and now again I had a blood test again for an antibody test abd still no anti bodys  

The blood transfer thing was in the news didn't take much notice 

I  can get  confirmation if you wish thst I am now on the third time of getting corona virus 

What you have to understand is that a obe point there were three different strains in the UK and the mutation of the corona virus now  there may be more strains no one knows if you had a different strain in the first place then you can get it again if the strain is different  the corona virus nurse who comes in to check me has told me all this and my own dr 

Then the corona virus mutated  which is why I got again there have been lots of people who have had corona virus again we have a corona virus group in wales and there are loads of people who have had it more than once  a few weeks ago on the news it was saying how many proplechad it more than once 
  • lisathomas50
    Imunity  doesn't last long if you had it in the first place and as you can see the times I got corona virus there were gaps  

They are also saying you can still get the corona virus even if your vaccinated  also as you can see from my previous posts that I was in high risk areas at the time the three times I have caught it one as a carer one from the hospital and one in my eye appointment 

If there is a different strsin yes you can catch it again I have lupus do my immune system doesnt work properly any way which is why I am at home being cared fir as I am a higher risk the nurse who is looking after me has had it twice 

I know one thing I won't be going out again until its gone away I definitely don't want it again 

Effectively you could get the corona virus every few months if its a different strains 

I have spoken to my friend in Oxford who says there is not enough information and it could be months before they know if the vaccinations have worked becsuse the vacines were made before the mutated version of corona virus  whst she did say was at the moment its being said you could still get corona virus after being vaccinated 
  • lisathomas50
    @woodbine it was monts apart and three times I was in high risk areas first time I was a carer in the community 2nd time a hospital  appointment and this time an eye appointment  
  • lisathomas50
    @janer1967 this isn't my opinion this is happening to me 
  • lisathomas50
    @Ross_Scope well it was until now I hope that people on hete dint get it once that alibe three times 
  • lisathomas50
    You can find loads of information on line and from Oxford  I am on my third corona virus infection I don't realy know why but it does happen and is happening 

Information changes every day from my own working experience in Oxford when I was younger only my opinion 

The corona virus will more than likely run its course 4 to 5 years strains will change the virus will more than likely mutate probably twice more  vaccinations will work but not for long lengths as the virus will keep changing so more vacines will be needed as things change hopefuly the virus will weaken its self  where it will only survive at certain times of the year and become a seasonal virus or best sernario  it will burn its self out and will only come back now and then as the plague did all those years ago

This is my opinion nothing else 
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

Hi @lisathomas50

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings on the subject, the discussion above is an interesting one. I'm sure that nobody was doubting that you have the virus, more just expressing surprise that you've contracted it for a third time, because it's quite a rare thing which I'm sure you'll agree with. Stories in the media have been few and far between about people getting it twice, let alone a third time, so I'm certain you have all our sympathy and best wishes. I hope you feel okay today.

Just a friendly reminder that while the conversation around the virus, immunity and the vaccine is a fascinating one to have, it isn't the purpose of this thread. We are here to talk about the subject of employment and how somebody might work towards gaining it. 

If you wish to start a separate thread about the subject then please feel free, but it would be best if this one remains on topic as much as possible. I hope people don't mind but I will leave the screenshots up a little longer so that people have chance to read them and then remove them from the thread, as the amount of scrolling might put others off from commenting here.

Again though, thanks for providing your thoughts and opinions on the matter everybody.

@MrAllen1976
    Glad to hear you've sent off a couple of emails, I do hope you hear back soon but please keep in mind that any response might be delayed by the pandemic. Do you intend on sending out any more enquiries?

• lisathomas50
    @Ross_Scope sorry Ross I don't even know how it got to that I was supporting another member in repeating things I doubt it makes a difference because I posted them 
    You csn take it all down I don't mind 
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

It's no problem at all @lisathomas50, there's no need to apologise :) 

• woodbine
    Just a suggestion but I would say that all conversation about covid should be in a single thread and where ever possible all opinion backed up with official links.
    Just an idea.
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

woodbine said:
    Just a suggestion but I would say that all conversation about covid should be in a single thread and where ever possible all opinion backed up with official links.
    Just an idea.
    Feedback noted, thank you :) 

• lisathomas50
    @woodbine I did put proof up but they were left up so people could read them then taken down 
  • poppy123456
    Links were already posted by @chiarieds. Screenshots make for harder scrolling because they take up a lot of space.
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

edited January 17
    Hi all
    As I've mentioned previously, it would be great if we could prevent this thread from veering off topic again otherwise we may have to consider closing it. 

Many people involved in this discussion provided their own version of evidence and as always it is at your discretion if you read or accept the evidence. I'd like us to move past this subject and keep the discussion focussed on what it was created for.

• lisathomas50
    @MrAllen1976 glad that your getting somewhere  with your job hunting  i am getting help with job support in wakes its called well being  support I am on the sux month course  which is resly good and helping me alot as I want to do a different kind of job

Hope you find something soon 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.