Disability specific employment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability specific employment

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
Topic.

It pains me to have to resort to this seeing as under normal circumstances I refuse on principle to be plonked into some government sponsored scheme where all the disabled "clients" are on benefits and can't earn much without the DWP jumps on them from a great height with benefit sanctions, however it's come to my attention that I will probably never be able to work in for want of a better word, the "normal" world, so a disability specific position would possibly, under sufferance, be an option.

Are there such positions available though? I know that because of government equality laws, stuff like Remploy Factories were closed down years ago, but are there other gainful and meaningful employment options for disabled adults that pay a half decent wage beyond the paltry 2 quid a day previously paid?

The problems for me are due to my personal circumstances, I cannot work full time, and also every time I declare my disability, I get insta-rejected in most cases.

Is there a way round this? I am too honest for my own good and the first thing I do when applying for any job is declare my disability, consequently it'll be 2 years in March since I last worked.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I'm not aware of any government operated job opportunities intended for disabled people, other than of course a disability employment adviser, but as the name suggests they're more for just advice.

If you want to work, I would advise thinking of organisations that you would like to work for, either because of what they do or because you know they'll be accommodating. Draft up a list of those organisations and then keep an eye on their job boards. 

Have you taken a look at any of Scope's employment services? These would help you with many things, including:
    • career advice
    • job searching and interview preparation
    • CV writing

When I was unemployed, there were many stages where I felt low and wished there was some kind of scheme that would hand me an opportunity on a plate, and it really got me down at times because I felt as though I had no help, and didn't know where to go to find help. I was even doubtful that even if I found something that looked helpful it ultimately wouldn't do anything for me.

It's about taking things one step at a time, considering what you need to do to gain employment and seeking the right advice to help you get there.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    I'm not aware of any government operated job opportunities intended for disabled people, other than of course a disability employment adviser, but as the name suggests they're more for just advice.

If you want to work, I would advise thinking of organisations that you would like to work for, either because of what they do or because you know they'll be accommodating. Draft up a list of those organisations and then keep an eye on their job boards. 

Have you taken a look at any of Scope's employment services? These would help you with many things, including:
    • career advice
    • job searching and interview preparation
    • CV writing

When I was unemployed, there were many stages where I felt low and wished there was some kind of scheme that would hand me an opportunity on a plate, and it really got me down at times because I felt as though I had no help, and didn't know where to go to find help. I was even doubtful that even if I found something that looked helpful it ultimately wouldn't do anything for me.

It's about taking things one step at a time, considering what you need to do to gain employment and seeking the right advice to help you get there.
    I've had Disability Employment Advisers over the years from Job Centre Plus and to put it politely most of them were worse than useless. The first one I had back when I was on the Jobseekers in 1998, I told him I wanted shop floor based Retail work, he immediately started looking at Warehouse work, complete opposite of what I asked for.. I want to be out there serving customers, not "hidden away" in the Warehouse so that the company don't have to admit they hired a disabled guy.

I haven't spent the last 25 years working in nearly every Charity shop in Sheffield and not gained customer facing retail experience and skills.

Also I've had help with my CV over the years, and have had interviews, but I can never explain big gaps in my employment history especially when 100% of my previous employment is voluntary, either actual volunteering or College work placements.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 you have asked in so many different ways about getting a job I dont think there is any more advice I can give 

You may have had issues with job centre in the past but that was a long time ago and things have changed since then and there isnt really many other organisations 

Also as said b4 now really isnt the best time to be looking for work as companies are struggling to keep people in employment and making cuts due to the pandemic 

However you ask the answers will be the same 

Have you looked at the scope help as mentioned above 

I understand your wanting to work believe me I hated it when I became unable to work but sometimes we just have to accept the inevitable and that there are just too many things preventing us from working 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Is this groundhog day ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    @,woodbine seems like it is 

@MrAllen1976 I wont comment any further other than to say I have advised all I can on this topic 

I have spent 30 years in recruitment and recruited thousands of employees including disabled people . I have implemented disability recruitment projects and was one of the first HR managers to get their company approved on the two ticks scheme in sheffield I have worked with job centres and offered placements to many disabled people and know how they work hard to try and place people in to work and think after the pandemic is over that us when you should seek employment 

I wish you every bit of luck in finding work but unless you specifically ask me for advice I wont comment any further on your job related posts 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,327 Disability Gamechanger
    Everytime you ask a question like this, you throw in something that happened in the late 90's. You also continue to mention your local JCP. Oddly, we have fast forwarded to 2021 and things are so much different now, to what they were back more than 20 years ago.

I've claimed JSA myself in the past and my job coach at my local JCP couldn't have been nicer, who also put me intouch with a disability advisor. It was from there that because of my disanility i was advised i would be better off claiming ESA, which i did and i've been claiming it ever since.

A lot of the questions you've been asking are the same questions, to which the answers are mostly available through a google search. I don't really understand why you keep asking members not to tell you not to use google, when it's extremely helpful to use it.

There are currently millions of people who have been made redundant and likely millions more that will be made redundant, so the amount of people applying for the same job is likely to run into the thousands so yes the competition will be very large.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    I have to say @MrAllen1976 I do admire your drive and determination to find yourself a settled job, and if that is your ambition then I would advise you to strive to achieve it, because you can do it. I hope you consider the advice I have given above, as well as any constructive tips others have provided you here and in the past. Please always feel free to post about employment in the future and ask for advice on any aspect of it.

I think it's important for people to consider the reasons for which a person might post about a topic on multiple occasions, @MrAllen1976 is clearly passionate about this subject and wants to do his best to navigate what can often be a tricky and inaccessible system, in the hope of gaining employment. That's without mentioning the countless strings attached to the subject of work, it's a mightily complicated area.

I'm sure we've all felt failed by society at certain points in our lives for one reason or another, and those experiences can sometimes leave scars, or give us an impression of a certain area of life that may be different to the impression of others. none of this is a bad thing, it's normal to have differing outlooks, it's what makes a vibrant, diverse and helpful community, we can offer our insight based on our own unique life experience.

As always, I would urge everyone to consider their tone when commenting on a topic, and think about how your words might come across to others. If you don't feel as though you have anything constructive to say, or aren't confident that you can phrase criticism or negative feedback constructively throughout a post, then it is sometimes wise not to comment.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 I have sought help from scope job support i had my first meeting on the phone today  it is realy helpful 

I am aware that job support is different in enland  than Wales I was refferd to wellbeing  support scope  as I live in Wales but they can still help you  it is hard finding a job and I think its worse now with the corona virus 

I hope that you can get the help you need ? 

• Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 hi poppy in wales there are a few organisations that help people with disabilities  that are looking for  work  other than job centers and scope  I dont know if you have anything like that in England we have hoyle and community working things like that 
  • janer1967
    @MrAllen1976

I havejust seen part time job advertised for Heron foods in High Green something you may be interested in 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
  • Ross_Alumni
    I think it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with employers listed on the Disability Confident Scheme  @MrAllen1976. While simply being on that list doesn't automatically guarantee that a prospective employer will be accommodating and inclusive, it shows a determination from the employer's side of things to be better in that regard. 

From personal experience, I have found that employers signed up to the scheme are more likely to have processes in place for hiring and retaining disabled employees, when compared to those who aren't signed up. But of course that doesn't mean that employers who aren't part of the scheme are not inclusive or accommodating.

• Lisatho11987777
    @Ross_Scope is it hard to get a job in England  if you have a disability??

I found in wales before covid 19 it wasn't so hard to get a job it was keeping it  I have always worked up untill I had corona virus at the beging of the year and again in July 

When my lupus was good mu employers were great  then when I was poorly not so great but in 10 years I only had four days sick if I was havring a bad day I just wasn't as quick  most of my eorking life I have been a carer  now I want to change jobs and only work part time 

I am getting help from the wellbeing support which is still scope but apparently do more to help thats why I was reffered and I get support for six months if I need it 

I think its alot harder to find a job now and can tske longer to fund employment  alot of people have gone to deliveroo  just eat uber and amazon  as delivery drivers  apparently thats where the money is 

I tried it pre covid its not my cup of tea  and some disabilitys wouldn't suit that type of job anyway 

Some people have created there own way of mskeing money  my  cousin makes dolls and things like that and sells on line she declares what she makes but she trys to stay under as she is allowed to earn so much before it affects her money 

Its is hard every  where to find a suitable job at the moment 

• [Deleted User]
    I think it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with employers listed on the Disability Confident Scheme  @MrAllen1976. While simply being on that list doesn't automatically guarantee that a prospective employer will be accommodating and inclusive, it shows a determination from the employer's side of things to be better in that regard. 

From personal experience, I have found that employers signed up to the scheme are more likely to have processes in place for hiring and retaining disabled employees, when compared to those who aren't signed up. But of course that doesn't mean that employers who aren't part of the scheme are not inclusive or accommodating.
    I found info on 513 Enterprises Ltd from the list via a Google search, no contact info for them.

And to be honest I don't want Factory work.

• woodbine
    @MrAllen1976 I thought you had decided that you didn't want any work now? or did I read that incorrectly?

• Lisatho11987777
    @MrAllen1976 what sort of work are you looking to do 
  • woodbine
    @Ross_Scope I think tbh that multiple post on the same subject, where we have in the past done our best to give positive advice can be a tad annoying, we should remember all of us that certain members give freely of a lot of their time to try and help people and that those people should be treated with respect, and yes I agree that every forum has to have rules without them it would be chaos, but I do know that a number of us are getting to the point where we avoid certain things on here because we know they will only turn into a bun fight.
    Just my humble opinion 
    John x

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

Just catching up with some posts and I'm happy to see you are remaining proactive in looking for work.  I know you are based in South Yorkshire and wondered if you'd looked at the Sheffield Voluntary Action website before? This lists some jobs local to you that on occasion seek people with lived experience of impairment, so although nothing might jump out at the moment, keep it in your bookmarks.  

Also, it might be worth getting in touch with the team at Disability Sheffield.  You could contact them explaining your work history so they can get in touch with you if they know of any opportunities.

I'll keep an eye out for anything else  :)  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Ross_Alumni

I found info on 513 Enterprises Ltd from the list via a Google search, no contact info for them.

And to be honest I don't want Factory work.

@MrAllen1976
    There isn't always contact details, if you find an employer you would be interested in working for, it might be a good idea to navigate to the careers section of their website and fill out your details so you can get alerts about any vacancies. 

I'm not sure if you're implying that the majority of employers registered as disability confident would only offer factory work, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you'll find such a variety of companies on that list, from national names to local organisations.

As an example, near to where I live there is a residential care provider that is registered for the scheme, and nationally you have companies like Virgin Media and Sky who are on it, and I can vouch for the inclusivity and accessibility of their interview processes.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @woodbine & Scope team - I don't mind multiple posts, in that I understand members express their thoughts in many different ways, & everyone here tries to help. However, it does seem however politely done, that some of us are getting told off, or our opinions are of little worth.
    I've deleted a comment I made on here about my son's experience working in a retailer, as immediately a post was put on about the Disability Confident Scheme, tho saying some who weren't on it might also be disabled friendly. I thought personal experience (or that I'd got from my son at least) might be helpful, but felt it mattered for little. Elsewhere, we have been told (at the end of several posts) to remember the community guidelines, etc. I'm beginning to feel reluctant to comment on any serious topic, sorry.

Brightness