Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Quotes for 2021

WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,252 Pioneering
Hi all, 
         I hope everyone is keeping safe and well in these difficult times. I wondered if it please would be ok if I were to share this with you. As 2021 started, there was much hope and optimism, but recent days may have raised questions over this. We are living in an ever changing situation and this can impact people in so many different ways and it is important that we try to find ways of negotiating this. For me, quotes have an impact as they really make me sit and reflect on what these quotes mean to me. In the past, I have found quotes in a variety of different places, often not particularly looking for them. I therefore wondered if I could please ask, if people feel they would like too, to share any quotes that they come across which mean something to them. I hope to add any quotes that I come across over the year.
I found one last week, quite by chance, on a calendar and it really made me reflect. 
'The best is yet to come'
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,082 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this I think there has been a thread similar to this before you may find interesting 

One of mine is 

Fail to prepare , prepare to fail 
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,010

Scope community team

edited January 8
    I think this is quite a good exchange to bear in mind for 2021:

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,311

Scope community team

I am a big fan of quotes too @WestHam06 and I think this Positive affirmation thread might have some inspiration for you :)

I've just read Matt Haig's Midnight Library book and this passage really left an impression on me.  it's a bit more than a quote but stick with it:

“It is easy to mourn the lives we aren't living. Easy to wish we'd developed other other talents, said yes to different offers. Easy to wish we'd worked harder, loved better, handled our finances more astutely, been more popular, stayed in the band, gone to Australia, said yes to the coffee or done more bloody yoga.

It takes no effort to miss the friends we didn't make and the work we didn't do the people we didn't do and the people we didn't marry and the children we didn't have. It is not difficult to see yourself through the lens of other people, and to wish you were all the different kaleidoscopic versions of you they wanted you to be. It is easy to regret, and keep regretting, ad infinitum, until our time runs out.

But it is not lives we regret not living that are the real problem. It is the regret itself. It's the regret that makes us shrivel and wither and feel like our own and other people's worst enemy.

We can't tell if any of those other versions would of been better or worse. Those lives are happening, it is true, but you are happening as well, and that is the happening we have to focus on.”
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,252 Pioneering
    This quote is amazing @Tori_Scope and very true for the times we find ourselves in. Please may I ask where you came across this? Thank you. 
    Thank you @janer1967, yes there was a similar thread to this which was very powerful. I have an interest in quotes since a friend gave me a bag full when I was having a difficult time, I now always keep my eye and ear out for them and often find they turn up in places you don't expect them too. I have also made my own quote up which I tell those who I feel need to hear it. 'You mean something, to someone, somewhere'. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
    edited January 8
    One of my quotes is attributed to the late Leonard Nimoy as Spock in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

Also I use 2 quotes from Forrest Gump starring Tom Hanks, "Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're gonna get" and "Stupid is as stupid does"

And finally, a quote I stole from 90's Nickelodeon star Kenan Thompson, "Whyyy?!" Mum hates when I use it lol.

Thank you so much for sharing that @Cher_Scope, that has really struck a chord and I think it will be one that I read over and over. I will look at the thread about Positive Affirmation, thank you for sharing this. As someone with a love of quotes, please may I ask have you ever created your own quote? Thank you. 
    One of my quotes is attributed to the late Leonard Nimoy as Spock in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

Also I use 2 quotes from Forrest Gump starring Tom Hanks, "Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're gonna get" and "Stupid is as stupid does"

or his other one "we come in peace shoot to kill, shoot to kill" 
    woodbine said:

LOL, if you remember the video to Star Trekkin' by The Firm, that was Captain Kirk.

Thank you for sharing the Positive Affirmation thread @Cher_Scope, some really inspiring quotes and I really like the short poem which @Chloe_Scope had referenced from, thank you :) 
    woodbine said:

LOL, if you remember the video to Star Trekkin' by The Firm, that was Captain Kirk.

Oddly enough it was on the radio this week wasn't the other one "its life Jim but not as we know it?"
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,311

Scope community team

WestHam06 said:
    Thank you so much for sharing that @Cher_Scope, that has really struck a chord and I think it will be one that I read over and over. I will look at the thread about Positive Affirmation, thank you for sharing this. As someone with a love of quotes, please may I ask have you ever created your own quote? Thank you. 
    Thank you @WestHam06 I'm glad you found it powerful too :)  I haven't created my own quote, no, but who knows one day I might!  How about you?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    woodbine said:
    woodbine said:

Oddly enough it was on the radio this week wasn't the other one "its life Jim but not as we know it?"
    Yep that bit was Spock.

edited January 8
    It really is very powerful, I keep reading it :) Yes I have made my own quote (though not a very good one :) ) I say it to those who I feel may want to hear it. It came to me quite randomly, during the first lockdown. 'You mean something, to someone, somewhere'. Thank you. 

Scope community team

It's from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring @WestHam06 :) 

I really love your quote from the first lockdown! It's very true, and sometimes easy to forget.

• chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,891 Disability Gamechanger
    I find the Dalai Lama seems to sometimes say just a few words, but they mean a lot,
    'Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.'
    I am going to try. :)
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 3,785 Disability Gamechanger
    Tomorrow is another day 
    Don't go to bed on an argument 
    Life is to short 
    Don't put off what you can do today  tomorrow 
    Live today as if it was your last one 
  • yanniyanni Member Posts: 50 Courageous
    You will get through worse than this.
    Don't count your chickens before they hstch 
    Thank you to everyone for sharing these quotes, I greatly appreciate it and there are some really powerful and insightful ones. Please, if you would like too, if you come across any over the next year do share, personally I find quotes a powerful of dealing with things. Thank you.

Scope community team

"Feel the fear and do it anyway". I'm not actually sure who said it, but I find it helpful to bear in mind. You don't always have to get rid of fear in order to do things, sometimes you just have to carry the fear with you. 

"Feel the fear and do it anyway". I'm not actually sure who said it, but I find it helpful to bear in mind. You don't always have to get rid of fear in order to do things, sometimes you just have to carry the fear with you. 
    I heard that book mentioned in an episode of 2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps years ago lol.

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,352 Disability Gamechanger
    You don’t have to wear crocodile to be a snappy dresser
    Don't mention the War! As quoted from John Cleese in that controversial Fawlty Towers episode about Germans that caused a bit of a fuss last year.

• Lou67Lou67 Member Posts: 865 Pioneering
    Carpe Diem !!!

Seize The Day.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam! Which translates from Klingon as "Today is a good day to die!"

Yeah I'm a Star Trek fan from way back.

• MforallMforall Member Posts: 14 Listener
    Make haste slowly ... one of my teachers used to say this .. never understood til I got old ☺️☺️

Scope community team

Ah, I didn't even know it was a book @MrAllen1976!

Mutton dressed as lamb 
    Love me today love me tomorrow or don't love me at all
    Don't be a follower be a leader 
    Grab it with both hands 
    To quote Bart Simpson, "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" :lol:

Really like that quote @Tori_Scope, I've not heard that before so thank you for sharing. It's so true, many people say I am fearless but that doesn't mean I don't feel fear. Also, just to say, I wouldn't say I'm fearless especially when you put a massive spider in the equation :) Thank you,
    I saw this quote on BBC Breakfast this morning with Mr Motivator and thought it was brilliant. It's one that I have not heard of before. 'Breathe. It's a bad moment, not a bad life'. Thank you. 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,352 Disability Gamechanger
    I’ve said this one before but it’s worth repeating.
    Failure is an event, not a person.
    by Zig Ziglar
Sign in or join us to comment.