Quotes for 2021 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Quotes for 2021

WestHam06
WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
Hi all, 
         I hope everyone is keeping safe and well in these difficult times. I wondered if it please would be ok if I were to share this with you. As 2021 started, there was much hope and optimism, but recent days may have raised questions over this. We are living in an ever changing situation and this can impact people in so many different ways and it is important that we try to find ways of negotiating this. For me, quotes have an impact as they really make me sit and reflect on what these quotes mean to me. In the past, I have found quotes in a variety of different places, often not particularly looking for them. I therefore wondered if I could please ask, if people feel they would like too, to share any quotes that they come across which mean something to them. I hope to add any quotes that I come across over the year.
I found one last week, quite by chance, on a calendar and it really made me reflect. 
'The best is yet to come'
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this I think there has been a thread similar to this before you may find interesting 

One of mine is 

Fail to prepare , prepare to fail 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I think this is quite a good exchange to bear in mind for 2021:

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I am a big fan of quotes too @WestHam06 and I think this Positive affirmation thread might have some inspiration for you :)

I've just read Matt Haig's Midnight Library book and this passage really left an impression on me.  it's a bit more than a quote but stick with it:

“It is easy to mourn the lives we aren't living. Easy to wish we'd developed other other talents, said yes to different offers. Easy to wish we'd worked harder, loved better, handled our finances more astutely, been more popular, stayed in the band, gone to Australia, said yes to the coffee or done more bloody yoga.

It takes no effort to miss the friends we didn't make and the work we didn't do the people we didn't do and the people we didn't marry and the children we didn't have. It is not difficult to see yourself through the lens of other people, and to wish you were all the different kaleidoscopic versions of you they wanted you to be. It is easy to regret, and keep regretting, ad infinitum, until our time runs out.

But it is not lives we regret not living that are the real problem. It is the regret itself. It's the regret that makes us shrivel and wither and feel like our own and other people's worst enemy.

We can't tell if any of those other versions would of been better or worse. Those lives are happening, it is true, but you are happening as well, and that is the happening we have to focus on.”
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • WestHam06
    This quote is amazing @Tori_Scope and very true for the times we find ourselves in. Please may I ask where you came across this? Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Thank you @janer1967, yes there was a similar thread to this which was very powerful. I have an interest in quotes since a friend gave me a bag full when I was having a difficult time, I now always keep my eye and ear out for them and often find they turn up in places you don't expect them too. I have also made my own quote up which I tell those who I feel need to hear it. 'You mean something, to someone, somewhere'. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited January 2021
    One of my quotes is attributed to the late Leonard Nimoy as Spock in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

Also I use 2 quotes from Forrest Gump starring Tom Hanks, "Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're gonna get" and "Stupid is as stupid does"

And finally, a quote I stole from 90's Nickelodeon star Kenan Thompson, "Whyyy?!" Mum hates when I use it lol.

• WestHam06
    Thank you so much for sharing that @Cher_Scope, that has really struck a chord and I think it will be one that I read over and over. I will look at the thread about Positive Affirmation, thank you for sharing this. As someone with a love of quotes, please may I ask have you ever created your own quote? Thank you. 
  • woodbine
    One of my quotes is attributed to the late Leonard Nimoy as Spock in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

Also I use 2 quotes from Forrest Gump starring Tom Hanks, "Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're gonna get" and "Stupid is as stupid does"

or his other one "we come in peace shoot to kill, shoot to kill" 

• [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:

LOL, if you remember the video to Star Trekkin' by The Firm, that was Captain Kirk.

• WestHam06
    Thank you for sharing the Positive Affirmation thread @Cher_Scope, some really inspiring quotes and I really like the short poem which @Chloe_Scope had referenced from, thank you :) 
  • woodbine
    woodbine said:

LOL, if you remember the video to Star Trekkin' by The Firm, that was Captain Kirk.

Oddly enough it was on the radio this week wasn't the other one "its life Jim but not as we know it?"

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    WestHam06 said:
    Thank you so much for sharing that @Cher_Scope, that has really struck a chord and I think it will be one that I read over and over. I will look at the thread about Positive Affirmation, thank you for sharing this. As someone with a love of quotes, please may I ask have you ever created your own quote? Thank you. 
    Thank you @WestHam06 I'm glad you found it powerful too :)  I haven't created my own quote, no, but who knows one day I might!  How about you?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:
    woodbine said:

Oddly enough it was on the radio this week wasn't the other one "its life Jim but not as we know it?"
    Yep that bit was Spock.

• WestHam06
    edited January 2021
    It really is very powerful, I keep reading it :) Yes I have made my own quote (though not a very good one :) ) I say it to those who I feel may want to hear it. It came to me quite randomly, during the first lockdown. 'You mean something, to someone, somewhere'. Thank you. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It's from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring @WestHam06 :) 

I really love your quote from the first lockdown! It's very true, and sometimes easy to forget.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I find the Dalai Lama seems to sometimes say just a few words, but they mean a lot,
    'Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.'
    I am going to try. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Tomorrow is another day 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Don't go to bed on an argument 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Life is to short 

Brightness