If I move in with a new partner, what would we be entitled to claim as a couple? We get PIP and UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I move in with a new partner, what would we be entitled to claim as a couple? We get PIP and UC

charlie321
charlie321 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Hi if I move in with new partner what would we be intltilted to claim as a couple we both recieve p.i.p and u.c and both unable to work 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes if you live as a couple you would have to claim as a couple, although you PIP would remain individual.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• charlie321
    charlie321 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Would only one of us recieve the sickness part of the u.c
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @charlie321

Hope you are well. Have you tried using a benefits calculator to have an estimate of your entitlements?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Would only one of us recieve the sickness part of the u.c
    Yes, only one LCWRA element is payable even if you both have LCWRA. However one of you could say that you care for the other which would allow one of you to get the carer element included and the other to get the LCWRA element. Just make sure that if you are asked what sort of care you give doesn't contradict the reasons you have LCWRA.

If you move in together you both need to report the change in your journals and DWP will then link the claims. One of you will receive the payments for you both.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.