Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Post office DWP payment closing

chloexxxchloexxx Member Posts: 28 Connected
edited February 5 in Finances and extra costs
Hello there, first post so forgive me if there's not enough info etc but I'm looking for advice.
The post office are going to close the bank accounts of ALL the people in receipt of benefits and anyone who has an account now need to set up a bank account here's where my problem comes in, I have a mental health issue that stops me from leaving my home, I have never had any form of photo ID as I have never had any need and as I've said I can't leave the home yet DWP want me to set up a bank account. I have asked them how as all banks require photo ID and they said they can't help the only other way is I get sent a cash card that I take to a corner shop (paypoint) and show the person behind the counter my disability papers to prove who I am, obviously this can't be done as I can't leave my home and they have been told this. Also how insensitive I as others already have a disability physical or mentally and they want us to advertise this in corner shops etc I feel this is disgusting and offensive to people like us. Any help I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you in advance

Replies

• MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 389 Pioneering
    You don’t need photo ID to open an account. This can be done with many other documents, also a lot of banks are doing online opening of accounts and verification. 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,003 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not advocating you use this bank but it is an example of alternative ID which may be acceptable 

• chloexxxchloexxx Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Mark, I appreciate the response, Halifax, Barclays and HSBC who I've rang today have all said NO they can't help one said you can open a basic account but would still need you to come down and basic accounts are for people with bad credit/criminal record etc. 
    chloexxx said:
    Mark, I appreciate the response, Halifax, Barclays and HSBC who I've rang today have all said NO they can't help one said you can open a basic account but would still need you to come down and basic accounts are for people with bad credit/criminal record etc. 
    As already mentioned above, you can open an account with banks without Photo ID. 

I’ve had several current accounts, not basic, never held photo ID and had no issue. 
    LeeCal thanks for that, now I feel like I'm being lied too 
    Mark thank you, you've settled my nerves a bit gonna try again tomorrow, fingers crossed 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 417 Pioneering
    I think this action has been initiated by DWP rather than the Post Office. There was a contract between DWP and PO which DWP have not renewed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,873 Disability Gamechanger
    @chloexxx basic bank accounts aren't just for people with bad credit/criminal record. As above really most banks will accept a range of I.D and accounts can be opened online.
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 2,922 Pioneering
    Hi I opend an account online with Lloyd's  most banks let you open accounts on line I I was using my account as an example 😔 
    Can't thank all of you enough, you all have certainly calmed my worries. Really appreciate your help 
    Hope you get something sorted soon

Take care 🙂 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chloexxx - you've received some great advice above. I just wanted to add I have 2 bank accounts, one just in my name, & a joint account with my son. For the latter, we just opened a basic account, as, in my bank's case, this didn't offer a cheque book or overdraft, neither of which we needed. Please let us know how you get on, thank you. :)
    Chiarieds thank you, currently trying to get it done through the tsb but there website has just said we need photo ID or come into the store. I feel like hitting my head against a brick wall, I can't keep trying different or they'll block me for the amount of credit checks 
    Lloyd's  may not need photo id if you go for a basic  or barclsys  or santander apologies if they have already been tried  cash plus is another one  that went to being a bank today   worth a try 
    I've just got through and they want a photo ID, then they say if you don't have ID send 3 copies of registered paperwork with your name and address on etc but they want them notarised by a solicitor, seriously ?? I can't leave my house for anything. I literally don't know what else I can do 
    The treatment towards disabled people is disgusting 
    To be fair I think most disabled people find banks reasonably easy to deal with, my best advice would be to telephone a couple of them tomorrow and explain your situation to them. Read the link for interesting info on credit unions which might be a possibility as well.
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/credit-union-current-accounts
    I agree they do but I don't believe they do towards people with a mental health issue that completely stops them from engaging in the outside world, the DWP and the post office are stopping this and I'm the one left with the headache, I can see that a few of the bank's do what I need however they put other barriers in place that's stops it. 
    Could I just ask then who helps you normally to engage with the "outside"world? could they not assist you with sorting a bank account? did you read the info about credit unions?
    I agree with @woodbine that phoning any bank you hope to consider may be the way forward. It does seem that some banks will consider you posting relevant documents to them just proving your identity, & something from the DWP showing your National Insurance number should be OK, & another confirming your address (again).
    I have found that a Building Society, 2 solicitors, & very recently an Estate Agent accepted my Blue Badge as photo ID; the last I just emailed (I did query it was a bit odd as they didn't know what I looked like, but at least it had my name on it; they had wanted me to visit their branch 50 miles away initially!). You might also consider Building Societies. There should be a way forward for you.....after all banks, etc. need peoples' business.
    @chloexxx as woodbine said I think if you explained your situation especially now with the pandemic I think they will understand  its worth a try 
    I have my brother, however they will not allow him to come to the bank as in their words he could be anyone. I have read it and thank you it's definitely something to consider once all avenues have been done 
    @chiarieds sorry I have over lapped 
    No worries @lisathomas50 - it happens to me fairly frequently. :)
    I really appreciate everything from you all. I have rang 6 banks/building societies and they have all said photo ID. The TSB have been the only branch that have said we can do it, it takes 10 mins online and you're done just need valid address and pip paperwork and they will reference it against the electoral to confirm..... however you get so far with the process and they just like the Halifax, Barclays etc they want you to either send a photo ID before you're allowed to continue there is no option for another way so I am stuck.
    I have explained everything and been in tears too, one bank said can't you just have a vaccine and then come thinking it was just about fear of the virus (I kept my cool) but as helpful as the TSB have been I hit the brick wall again. I'm going to call them tomorrow and just hope and prey I get to speak to someone who understands and can help me
    Ask to speak to a manager  it may help 
    Lisa Thomas , yes this is what I am going to do I have been none stop researching and I will be fully armed with information of exactly what they are required to accept as proof, what I can tell you is that EVERY bank/building society have lied to me. 
    I was shocked  how hard it was to get a bank account these days for a current account  my Lloyd's bank account I have had over 30 years  but I just open savings accounts and is accounts  I have a barclays account I opened on line and a santander I opend on line it helps me to manage my bills my cash plus I opend on line some if them I think I just uploaded  a recent bill   I cant remember lol

Hope you get somewhere later today only other thing I can suggest is give citizens advice a call  and see if they can suggest  anything  😉  I have been looking on line for you aswel but you said you have been doing that anyway 

Sorry your going through this 

Good luck hope you get it sorted 
    Lisa Thomas bless your kind heart, it really is upsetting and quite ridiculous, some are requiring paperwork to be notarised but the only person who knows me who could do this is my doctor and quite frankly I think they've got enough on their plate. Thank you again 
    No problem if I can find another way round it i will let you know  but I think everything has been covered  

Hope it goes well and let us know how you get on 
    I will indeed 
    Have you got any disability support organisations that are local to you?

I know a few people that needed support setting things up like bank accounts and the local organisations helped them do so, they helped with the application, etc. Just a thought and a way forward for you. 
    edited February 4
    This information is on this site 
    https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/what-do-i-need-to-open-a-bank-account/
    Scroll down and click on 
    • Other documents we can accept as proof of identity 
    You should then see this list
    • A benefit entitlement letter less than 12 months old, confirming the benefit payable at the time of issue
    • A UK blue disabled driver’s pass (with photo)
    • A UK Armed Forces identity card
    • An HMRC tax notification dated within 12 months
    • A Home Office immigration status document or application registration card
    • A valid Northern Ireland voter's card
    • An introduction from a parent or guardian who banks with us
    • A Young Scot National Entitlement Card (only for applicants under 18)
    LeeCal, cheers, this is something I have quoted to them and they said unfortunately because of fraud we still need to have photo ID, I asked to speak to a manager and was on hold for 20 mins then cut off. Still trying
    edited February 4
    @chloexxx that’s ridiculous, I hope they get their act together. 

On the list they also state ‘
    • An introduction from a parent or guardian who banks with us’
    I wonder wether another bank would accept his, ie a bank of a relative for example.

i simply googled ‘open a bank account without photo ID’ and I did notice that one bank came up which would do it but charged £10 a month for doing so. I’m certainly not suggesting that you do that yourself, just mentioning it as a matter of interest. 
    @chloexxx oh gosh if you don't get anywhere with the banks you may need to try citizen advice they might be able to help 

Its very frustrating for you 

Hope you get somewhere today 
    Worth a try my bro banks with them
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,131 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 4
    chloexxx said:

I have explained everything and been in tears too, one bank said can't you just have a vaccine and then come thinking it was just about fear of the virus (I kept my cool) but as helpful as the TSB have been I hit the brick wall again. I'm going to call them tomorrow and just hope and prey I get to speak to someone who understands and can help me
    I get this so often.  I'm not totally housebound but can't travel far, enter buildings or use telephones.  Most 'normal' people take those things for granted and simply can't understand how we're effected no matter how much you try and explain.

I had problems with First Direct who were insisting on a telephone call to complete the account opening...but also wouldn't cancel the application without a call.  In the end I had to write a letter to their head office to cancel.  However, I've opened several other accounts totally online over the last few years.  Never needed photo ID.  I can only assume it's because I already had accounts, the first of which was opened in branch about 15 years ago before my problems worsened.

I'm not sure of the PO timescales, but I wonder if you could get some photo ID in the meantime - would you be automatically eligible for a blue badge for example?  Or possibly a Provisional driving licence, though I think you have to pay for those.
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 681 Pioneering
    @chloexxx have you tried Monzo? I just had to take a selfie and upload it. 

Cressida said:
    @chloexxx have you tried Monzo? I just had to take a selfie and upload it. 

Yes I’ve heard they are quite good too. 
    Still no luck.
    I have put an official complaint in against the TSB under the discrimination and equalities act towards disabilities and mental health. I am being treated unfairly and unfavourably because of my condition, refusal to be allowed to speak to a manager. I also have the email address for the director of banking at the tsb might send her an email.
    Close to tears here tho
    chloexxx said:
    Still no luck.
    I have put an official complaint in against the TSB under the discrimination and equalities act towards disabilities and mental health. I am being treated unfairly and unfavourably because of my condition, refusal to be allowed to speak to a manager. I also have the email address for the director of banking at the tsb might send her an email.
    Close to tears here tho
    Try Monzo:

https://monzo.com/i/current-account/
    I will..... just on the phone to virgin  :)
    I have been trying to find the number for the banking regulator  I don't know if any one else knows it 
    @chloexxx found it  this is for the banking regulator 

08001116768    option 2  consumer   if you don't get anywhere  speak to them 

Hope its  not needed and you get a bank account  

I tried the number before putting it on here 

Hope all goes well 
    Lisa you are fantastic, thank you for everything I really appreciate it. Will let you know x
    @chloexxx  hope it helps  
    I'm not for a single minute defending the banks here, but due to relatively new money laundering laws their hands are sometimes if not always tied.
    @chloexxx did you look into credit unions?
    Woodbine I haven't yet but I have contacted the banking regulators and they have confirmed that all banks have to allow ANY person to be able to obtain an account even with limitations and any refusal will be met with FCA investigation. They should always provide an alternative for you and provide assistance. They have also given me the number and an ID code that when quoted to the person that answers will know that I have the full backing of the FCA. All sounds far fetched but can you believe the extent that we have to go to because I have a disability.
    I have suffered ever since I was 10yrs old, can't leave my home, can't have a life so to speak, all I ask like so many others in my position is some consideration and respect and not to be spoken to or looked at like I'm a second rate citizen. Sorry I'm ranting. Fingers crossed tomorrow's another day 👍
    Good luck with it @chloexxx, please let us know how you get on.
    @chloexxx glad the banking regulator was of some help to you maybe now you will be able to get your bank account sorted  contacting the banking regulator  is a last resort  but if you have done everything you can they are realy helpful
    Lisa yep they were, thank you again. I'll soon know if it's all sorted when I start it all again tomorrow. 👍
    @chloexxx now you have the code they cant refuse they will know but if they still refuse phone the regulator straight back 

Fingers crossed for tomorrow  hoprfuly you will be sorted 
    Good luck 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,210 Disability Gamechanger
    How did you get on today @chloexxx
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    @chloexxx hope you managed to get a bank account sorted today and hope your ok as its been a stressful time for you 😀 
    So here's the outcome.....
    I'm not fully done yet, NatWest have been fantastic to my needs, not right at the start to be honest as one assistant put me on hold for 48mins and one told me the wrong advice, so I rang them again whilst on hold lol anyway I rang back and spoke to someone else and they were so helpful and another person rang me today to talk me through the procedure I have filled in all the relevant information that they require and I'm just playing the waiting game now to see what happens next. I'm not fully convinced because they told me to apply as an old customer from years ago instead of a new customer and then when they can't find my previous information on there system they'll ask for me to send the documents for them to proceed with the application. With the way things have been I feel they'll say we can't find you etc etc you'll have to come into the branch and we'll have to start again......but I'll have a little faith and wait for what happens. I will however let you know as and when. Can't thank everyone on here enough for there help..x
    @chloexxx fingers crossed  it works out well for you 😀 
    Just as a matter of fact POCA will not end until November 2021 so @chloexxx you have 9 months to sort out a new bank account.
    @woodbine is it the same in wales please 
    @woodbine is it the same in wales please 
    It's like many things UK wide, the DWP don't think the post office deal offers them good value any more, especially when the majority of "clients" also have current accounts with other banks(which they do)
    @woodbine most people have bank accounts here i think people think that if they have a post office dwp account it doesn't affect their savings  lol 😂  
    Woodbine you are correct, The TSB actually said and I quote "don't know why you're in such a rush you've got 9 or so months"  my reply to them was my condition isn't going to change in 9 months it hasn't in 30yrs, this is when I decided to put an official complaint in. 
    Woodbine again you're correct this is why they're doing it.
    @woodbine most people have bank accounts here i think people think that if they have a post office dwp account it doesn't affect their savings  lol 😂  

I have the post office account because they were the only considerate bank that offered me help in the beginning. 

@chloexxx sorry I wasn't referring to yourself  I am an independent advocate and help people in wales and slot of people have a post office account  but a number of people only did it to hide money in a bank account and got caught out lol 😆 

The post office account opend if if I temper correctly when they stopped the giro cheque and benefit books  so it was easy to fo with a post office account 

Hope fully  you will be able to get your bank account sorted now  if you used your code they know they can get in trouble if they don't assist you 

You can always phone the regulator again if you still struggle 

Hope I haven't offended or upset you it wasn't my intention sorry if I have 
    @chloexxx sorry I wasn't referring to yourself  I am an independent advocate and help people in wales and slot of people have a post office account  but a number of people only did it to hide money in a bank account and got caught out lol 😆 

The post office account opend if if I temper correctly when they stopped the giro cheque and benefit books  so it was easy to fo with a post office account 

Hope fully  you will be able to get your bank account sorted now  if you used your code they know they can get in trouble if they don't assist you 

You can always phone the regulator again if you still struggle 

Hope I haven't offended or upset you it wasn't my intention sorry if I have 

Oh god no you haven't, sorry myself if that was the way my message came across, I know what you're talking about and agree with you. Trust me I'm thankful for everything you have done. 👍

@chloexxx no I read what I put and didn't look right lol and thank you glad I could help ☺ 
    Hi @chloexxx - I fear this is one of the occasions when a member, who has tried to help, then says something completely irrelevant. A member should always say whether their comment is from their personal experience, or whether they can back it up with appropriate links. Neither have been given, & as I said, are not relevant in your case, as you're just innocently trying to open a bank account. Hope you get this sorted. :)
    @chiarieds I have apologied  and explained  
    edited February 6
    That's good @lisathomas50 but please think before you text, as it could be taken wrongly, which I'm sure is not your intent. If it's not relevant, why post it?
    chiarieds said:
    That's good @lisathomas50 but please think before you text, as it could be taken wrongly, which I'm sure is not your intent. If it's not relevant, why post it?

I see your point chiarieds it could read like that but considering how @lisathomas50 has responded to me previously, all I can say is she has been a wonderful help and so thoughtful towards me as have everyone on this forum has been, I've never been on a forum that has offered such kindness. 
    Regards me getting it sorted I too like you have said hope it gets sorted soon, it's been very stressful indeed, as bad as the banks have been I understand why, unfortunately we still live in a world where mental health disabilities are looked at from a far and passed over because it's difficult to understand.
    Stay safe 👍

@chloexxx thank you for your kind words means alot to me 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    A lot of Post Offices have closed even pre Pandemic Lisa, the days of the local Postmaster/Mistress who knows everybody are almost long gone I'm afraid, Postman Pat was a children's TV character lol.

@chloexxx hi hope your ok did you manage to sort a bank account out  hope you managed to get one 😀
    @chloexxx hi hope your ok did you manage to sort a bank account out  hope you managed to get one 😀

Hey Lisa still no further forward I'm actually ringing them today to see what's happening, I'm doing it by post but I'm waiting for the paperwork to come through been a week and still nothing 
    @chloexxx the post is realy slow at the moment so it could take a whilstvletcus kbiw how you get on maybe they will be able to tell you over the phone what's happening 
Sign in or join us to comment.