ESA stopped without any notice — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

ESA stopped without any notice

Hi, i have recently had a pip form and telephone assessment which i passed and was awarded the same rate as i was previously on, i also claim ESA, i have checked my bank account and i havent recieved my ESA payment. i am extremely anxious about this. Could my PIP outcome effect my ESA? how can the DWP do this to people, especially with the current situation we are all in.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,351 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP and ESA are two different benefits, are you in the support group for ESA? the only thing you can do is phone them today and see what the problem is.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,532 Disability Gamechanger
    If your payments from each benefit are made to the same bank account then sometimes a re-awarding of PIP causes a retiming of the payments of both. A phone call should confirm. In most cases though it's usually a small delay and should resume without further mishap.  
  • dwpmakemeanxious
    dwpmakemeanxious Member Posts: 5 Listener
    thank you Woodbine and Mikehughescq for your replies, i rang them 8am today and was put through to a nice lady who explained to me it was a mistake on there end and a payment was made a few hours later on. I still think its very irresponsible for these type of things to happen considering the impact it has on peoples health. thank you again for your replies, panic over. until next time that is..
  • dwpmakemeanxious
    also, yes im in the support group Woodbine, dreading the review coming up soon.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,005

Scope community team

thank you Woodbine and Mikehughescq for your replies, i rang them 8am today and was put through to a nice lady who explained to me it was a mistake on there end and a payment was made a few hours later on. I still think its very irresponsible for these type of things to happen considering the impact it has on peoples health. thank you again for your replies, panic over. until next time that is..
    It is a shame that these sorts of things happen and cause undue stress to people at what is already a really tough time, I suppose mistakes do happen though. Either way, I'm glad the situation has been resolved.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • dwpmakemeanxious
    It really is a shame, it happens over and over again in my experience. This site has provided me abit of relief in a very stressful situation and for that i am grateful <3
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
    Meh, the DWP is run by evil suited jobsworths who have no clue what they're doing more than half the time IMO.

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,005

Scope community team

Meh, the DWP is run by evil suited jobsworths who have no clue what they're doing more than half the time IMO.

I'm sorry to read that's your impression of them, they must have let you down in the past, I imagine others will have differing experiences though. 

Sure, they can cause inconvenience, but I imagine for every person who is upset with them, there's another who is totally satisfied with their DWP interactions. 

That doesn't mean to say that any inconvenience or mistake is acceptable, it happens far more than it should, but I don't think we should be calling them evil on that basis.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,351 Disability Gamechanger

In my experience they are anything but, they are badly paid and often don't get the training they need although that would take years with the myriad of rules etc.
    Personally I have always been treated with respect and fairly, but then I have always treated them properly which i'm sure helps. If you have an attitude with people then you will get treated in the same way, i'm sure you know what I mean?
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,067 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 17
    Many people working at DWP may also be benefits claimants themselves.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,532 Disability Gamechanger
    So we can add the whole of the DWP to food delivery drivers! A picture is very much being painted.

I’ve worked on the opposite side of the fence to DWP since 1986. I consider them in many ways to be the enemy of everything I stand for. I have seen them say and do many appalling things. I would never refer to them as evil either individually or collectively. 

Setting oneself up in opposition to everything by suggesting everyone else is bad or stupid is not an attractive look.
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Member Posts: 74 Courageous
    That happened to me my esa was due and had my phone assessment five days before (pip) when I phoned they had told me I had been awarded pip all came though that very day.
    my stress was high as I thought I’ve not been awarded and they’ve stopped my money was quite the opposite 
  • dwpmakemeanxious
    As much stress as it is dealing with the DWP and some of the unfortunate people that work there, without there support over the last few years i dont know where id be, but the anxiety that is caused directly by them is like a trap, i have mixed feelings on the DWP. If a doctors note was all tht was needed things would be alot better, they seem to want multiple forms of evidence now which makes the hole thing extremely hard to deal with
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Member Posts: 74 Courageous
    I know I hear you on that definitely,yes you would think medical evidence would suffice instead you need to prove numerous times that you are entitled,it’s a sad state of affairs 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Member Posts: 1,002 Pioneering
    It’s a shame they just stop people’s Monday with out letting them know I don’t recieve esa . Does pip ever do that stop peoples money with out telling them ? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.