Parents esa + pip - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parents esa + pip

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    Hi! Thank you for checking in! 

So my mums health has deteriorated. She started to get pain in her hip, then couldn't move, then eventually found out she has no hip joint at all. She's awaiting a hip replacement. 

It took weeks and weeks and weeks for them to confirm any form of universal credit. Eventually they told her what she was getting so it just covers their rent with a tiny bit left over. Dad gets his pension which is taken off their universal credit. 

Everyone keeps saying there's extra things she should be getting etc but I don't know if that's true. When I write on the journal no one replies! 

And help would be so appreciated!

Reading back through the thread, did your mum report a health condition and send in fit notes as advised? If she hasn't then she needs to do that. She will then be referred for a work capability assessment. If she's found to have LCWRA then she will receive an extra £343 per month from the 4th month of her claim.
    UC has replaced all the old benefits and because they are a mixed aged couple there are no other benefits possible to claim other than council tax reduction.
    Your dads State Pension being deducted in full from any UC entitlement is correct.
    Also make sure that the carers element is included in with their maximum entitlement. For this check their statements on their journal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I wouldn't expect you get any sense from putting it on their journal as the dwp administer benefits but are not benefits advisers 

Try a benefits calculator found on gov website or yoh could contact welfare rights 

Other members will be able to advise with more detail 

• tanya189
    tanya189 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
    Options
    Poppy- thank you for your reply! He's not getting the carers element. If I apply for this now, can it be backdated? 
    I was unsure what to put for the date he started caring for her as he always has done (though wasn't always receiving carers allowance for it)

Janet- thank you! They literally never reply to anything I say even something I'd think was simple! ?‍♀️
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If he reported being her carer when he claimed then it can be backdated. If not then they may not agree to backdate it. 
    What about reporting your mum’s health condition, has that been done? And the fit note?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tanya189
    Options
    Yes I've reported her health condition and several fit notes! I didn't report the caters element and I hadn't really done benefit claims before and he didn't really get what it was ?‍♀️

They took so so long to provide any info of what she would get and when they gave a date that she'd get the info she never got it. Anything I put on the journal wasn't replied to. 

Just thought I'd check if she was in the right thing. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    The reason it takes so long is because each assessment period is for 1 month and it starts on the first day of your claim. You then receive your statement about 4 days before your payment. On your statement will have all the elements you're entitled to as well as all the deductions.
    You keep referring to it as your mum's claim but it's a joint claim.
    I believe you were advised to make sure your dad claims for the carers element. He will need to make sure he reports this onto his journal.
    Have they referred your mum for the work capability assessment yet? This should have been done about 29 days after she reported her health condition. If she hasn't been referred put a note onto her journal to ask them to refer her. Once this is done she'll receive the work capability assessment form to fill in and return.
  • tanya189
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It took over 2 months to hear anything, I'm guessing it's just normal for the time. 

She had a phone assessment.

In my naivety I thought it'd be am automatic thing for the carers. Literally never applied for any form of benefit before, not even child benefit, so was a bit confused. 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    She had a phone assessment.
    Was this a healthy assessment or just a UC telephone appointment?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tanya189
    Options
    I'm not sure. They've said she has limited capability for work or qork related activity though. 

I'm starting the carer thing but unsure what to say for the start date of caring
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    poppy123456 said: Also make sure that the carers element is included in with their maximum entitlement. For this check their statements on their journal. 
    It will not be included yet unless mum has had a WCA decision and been found to have a LCWRA.

Dad should have the LCWRA element so he cannot get the carer element for looking after mum. Once mum is assessed, if she is found to have LCWRA then she will, after the waiting period, get the LCWRA element at which time dad will be able to get the carer element.

(Hope I’ve got this clear - these long threads always get confusing.)

OP, nonetheless it would still be sensible to report that dad is caring.

calcotti said:
    Tanya, just want to remind you of a few points mentioned earlier for when your parents decide to claim UC 
    • your mum should get a Fit Note from her GP to support the claim
    • when they claim she should declare her health condition and provide details of the Fit Note
    • dad should declare that he looks after mum
    Provided they claim before dad reaches pension age his ESA Support Group status will transfer across as UC LCWRA.

Initially the UC maximum amount will include the standard couple allowance, LCWRA element (for dad) and housing element.

If, after a Work Capability Assessment, mum is found to have LCWRA she can have the LCWRA element, in which case dad can no longer have it but can have the carer element instead.

Dad’s pensioner income will be deducted in full when calculating the amount of UC actually payable.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tanya189
    Options
    Hi Calcotti  
    I didn't know dad could get that as he's over state pension age?
  • tanya189
    Options
    Does this provide any assistance to their situation? We also have no idea what the deduction for debts thing is but haven't been able to get through to the number they gave us to call
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    Hi Calcotti  
    I didn't know dad could get that as he's over state pension age?
    Get what? If you mean the LCWRA element the new provide details he claimed UC before reaching pension age the LCWRA status should have been carried over from ESA and paid from the start of the UC claim - as previously advised.

The fact he is over pensioner age makes no difference.
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    Does this provide any assistance to their situation? We also have no idea what the deduction for debts thing is but haven't been able to get through to the number they gave us to call
    It shows that the LCWRA element is included, presumably for dad (unless mum has had a WCA decision).
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I did try to read through the whole thread but as you say calcotti it's not easy to do with threads that are long.
  • tanya189
    Options
    Tbh I'm at the point where I'm going to give up finding out. I do thank you for all your advice. 

I had a business to run and 2 kids and I'm feeling so stressed by being the only one that helps them. 
  • tanya189
    edited December 2021
    Options
    But I really do thank you all.

I have just asked on the journal If she has had a work capability assessment 
  • tanya189
    Options
    Mum has said she hasn’t had an assessment. I have been providing fit notes from the beginning. I honestly thought as I’d said she had health problems, they’d have asked her to have one if it was necessary. Like they do with pip
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Has she had the health questionnaire (UC50) to complete? If not, it needs to be requested. If it has been received, completed and returned then an assessment will follow but there are currently long delays.
  • tanya189
    Options
    She completed the health part of the initial application. Nothing since then. On the history of her to do list it says health completed, not sure if that's the same

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.