Parents esa + pip - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parents esa + pip

Options

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    AP = assessment period. It refers to the one month period for which each UC payment is made,.

(Doesn’t sound thick at all - if you don’t know, you don’t know.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tanya189
    tanya189 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
    Options
    Ah OK perfect thank you.

• tanya189
    Options
    calcotti said:
    The carer element can’t be backdated because he was claiming the LCWRA element and the same person can’t receive both elements. 
    If mum is found to have LCWRA that decision is backdated so it would be possible to ask for previous APs to be recalculated with mum receiving LCWRA and dad receiving carer (if UC are willing to backdate the carer element).
    From what you've said here, do I just ask them or do I need to make some kind of complaint?
  • calcotti
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    calcotti said:
    The carer element can’t be backdated because he was claiming the LCWRA element and the same person can’t receive both elements. 
    If mum is found to have LCWRA that decision is backdated so it would be possible to ask for previous APs to be recalculated with mum receiving LCWRA and dad receiving carer (if UC are willing to backdate the carer element).
    From what you've said here, do I just ask them or do I need to make some kind of complaint?
    It certainly isn't a complaint because there is nothing to complain about, everything is being done correctly. If LCWRA is awarded you can ask the question.
    Has dad ever reported to UC that he cares for mum?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tanya189
    Options
    Ah OK. Was it a mistake that they haven't received the form yet?  I'm not looking to complain, just trying to figure the situation and time scales out.

I believe it was said in a phone conversation but not actually filled out the form for it on their UC account. 

Mums going in for an operation in February so she'll require even more care. I think they assumed that if you weren't getting carers allowance before then you wouldn't be entitled to carers element. 

Mum turns pension age next year so I'm guessing it all changes again!
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    Ah OK. Was it a mistake that they haven't received the form yet? 
    I thought you were referring to the possible future backdating of carer element if LCWRA is awarded. Yes, the form should have been issued 29 days after reporting the health condition and you should continue to chase that. A complaint about taht not having been sent out yet would be appropriate.
    tanya189 said:
    I think they assumed that if you weren't getting carers allowance before then you wouldn't be entitled to carers element. 
    You don't have to get Carer's Allowance to get the carer element of UC, you need to provide 35 hours of care to someone in receipt of a relevant disability benefit. looking back through the thread, if you followed the advice given dad will have declared himself carer at the time they applied for UC.
    tanya189 said: Mum turns pension age next year so I'm guessing it all changes again!
    When mum reaches pension age and they are both pensioners UC will stop. Depending on their circumstances they may be able to claim Pension Credit. If they need help with rent they will have to claim Housing Benefit again.

A long way back in this thread (before dad was pension age) you said that he didn't think he would qualify for PIP so had never applied. Does he need frequent help to look after himself and if so have you looked at Attendance Allowance?
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/before-you-claim-attendance-allowance/what-is-attendance-allowance/

• tanya189
    Options
    Calcotti- thank you for answering.

So I distinctly remember us calling to find out what we put for the date the caring started. We were told dad couldn't get it for caring for mum because he has health conditions and has lcwra. I started the caring application part and didn't finish it for this reason. 

I've also noticed that they're deducting £778.60 for dad's pension but he only gets the full pension amount of £718.40 which I don't really understand
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    Calcotti- thank you for answering.

So I distinctly remember us calling to find out what we put for the date the caring started. We were told dad couldn't get it for caring for mum because he has health conditions and has lcwra. I started the caring application part and didn't finish it for this reason. 
    That is correct - he can't be paid the carer element at the moment because he gets the LCWRA element but it would still have been sensible to record that he cares for mum. It's not an application as such - just a notification to UC. If mum gets LCWRA then dad will stop getting it (because only one person can get LCWRA at a time) and dad can then be paid the carer element.

Welcome to the world of UC - the great simplification of the benefits system!
    tanya189 said: I've also noticed that they're deducting £778.60 for dad's pension but he only gets the full pension amount of £718.40 which I don't really understand
    Dad gets paid £718.40 every 4 weeks. UC convert this to a monthly amount.
    £718.40 / 4 = weekly amount £179.60 x 52 = annual amount £9,339.20 / 12 = monthly amount £778.27/month (not sure why there's a difference of 33p).

He gets 13 pension payments/ year but only 12 UC payments.
  • tanya189
    Options
    Ah OK.

Oh wow this is so confusing!!

How do you know all of this Calcotti?? 

They're also having some money deducted deducted loan or repayments and have no idea what that is! They don't give you much info do they
  • calcotti
    Options
    tanya189 said: They're also having some money deducted deducted loan or repayments and have no idea what that is! They don't give you much info do they
    Did they ask for an advance payment at the time they claimed UC? If so that has to be repaid by deduction from future payments.
  • tanya189
    Options
    Nope no advance payments or anything like that. They weren't paying anything back before universal credit started
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Options
    tanya189 said:
    Nope no advance payments or anything like that. They weren't paying anything back before universal credit started
    When they claimed UC the first payment would be due one month and one week after the claim date but claimants are offered an advance. If they take it, it has to be paid back in instalments. If mum and dad didn't do that and you/they don't know what the deduction is post a message in the payments section and ask?
  • tanya189
    Options
    I've asked twice but no reply. They definitely didn't take an advance. I helped them with a little bit of money to cover them so they didn't need to.

What I'm going to do is go to my parents tomorrow with a notepad and all the details and phone dwp while I'm there and hopefully sort it out! 

Thank you for all your help
  • tanya189
    Options
    So I spoke to the benefit people today and have sorted a couple of things out.

They're referring it to a case manager to sort out the form and the wca. 

I've realised they have to pay more now in rent than they did before they went to uc. The woman at the council said they're taking everything into account including mums PIP.  Is that right?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn’t means tested so this doesn’t affect anything. Are they privately renting or social housing? It’s a long thread and I can’t remember. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tanya189
    Options
    Thanks for reply,
    It's social housing with the council. 

They get less money now but pay £20 more rent
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Options
    UC may be aware of the rent direct from the council. The housing element will be shown on their UC statements.

When you say they get less money now I’m not clear what you mean. Less than what?
  • tanya189
    Options
    Than they did before they moved to universal credit. 

One person at the council said they're paying too much in rent, another said its right. But confused but thinking it'd be easier just to let it be
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Their UC would be less now than when they first applied because of the £20 per week uplift was removed. 
    Their housing element should be the same as what they were receiving for housing benefit. 
    The state pension will be deducted in full from the the UC so maybe this is why you’re getting confused with the amounts.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tanya189
    Options
    The housing element is less than what they were receiving for housing benefit that's what I didn't understand but maybe I've missed something and that is right 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.