Im really sad about my home — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Im really sad about my home

MarkM88
MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,824 Pioneering
edited February 24 in Coffee lounge
I’m really sad about my home. I have been in my flat nearly 4 years and there has been rumours circulating for a while now. 

Received the phone call this morning that they are demolishing the building. 

The good news is they will work with me to find somewhere new, I’m just dreading the process and the moving. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,102

Scope community team

I'd be feeling the same way @MarkN88. Have they given you a time frame?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • MarkM88
    I'd be feeling the same way @MarkN88. Have they given you a time frame?
    To be honest they are being really nice about it. They have said it will take however long it takes to rehouse all the flats. 

So hopefully I can have the time to find somewhere. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear your news, I wish you well with it @MarkN88
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,088

Scope community team

Sorry to hear that @MarkN88, but hopefully you'll find be able to find somewhere suitable. Is there anything in particular you're worried about in terms of moving? I know it can be a stressful experience on the whole. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Posts: 4,613 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 sorry to hear about your home  I  know its hard and it is very stressful ,  if you can look past that  you might find a better place where your happier and you are getting help to find another home once you settle in hopefuly you feel OK. 

I was in a similar situation where I live now I used to live four doors  away   and my landlord had all his property's repossessed  he didn't inform me and I was given 4 weeks to move lucky for myself the landlord I am with now was fantastic 

The day I got the letter my now landlord had heard the news and came to see me he had just finished renovating the house I am in now 

He gave me the keys and said the house was mine if I wanted it  and I moved it straight away 

I love the house I am in now and i am realy happy I have been in it three years and I have a fantastic and catering landlord 

Hope you get the same happiness 😊
  • MarkM88
    Thanks everyone. 

I think the worry is the stress, @Tori_Scope , I think once it’s done it will be fine. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,657 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a shame.  :(   Is there any reason they're being demolished?  Will they be building more on that site I wonder?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry about your home and agree how stressful moving can be . Just take it one step at a time and if you need help ask for it 

When I moved I got lots help from council they supplied removal company who dismantled stuff and set back up like bed wardrobes etc 

You can get moving companies that do the packing for you as well 

Make list of all places you need to inform change of address,  as I got letters b4 I moved I added them to my list 

You can do lots yo prepare so it makes the move less stressful 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can't help I will
  • MarkM88
    That's a shame.  :(   Is there any reason they're being demolished?  Will they be building more on that site I wonder?
    It’s only rumours but there building bungalows we think. 

Over the years there’s been no investment, new bathrooms that were promised were cancelled and they stopped letting the flats to people. 

It’s a three story, 30 flat building, quite large really, only 10 are occupied. 

Think it’s been on the cards for a while. 
  • MarkM88
    janer1967 said:
    Sorry about your home and agree how stressful moving can be . Just take it one step at a time and if you need help ask for it 

When I moved I got lots help from council they supplied removal company who dismantled stuff and set back up like bed wardrobes etc 

You can get moving companies that do the packing for you as well 

Make list of all places you need to inform change of address,  as I got letters b4 I moved I added them to my list 

You can do lots yo prepare so it makes the move less stressful 
    Yes, I do believe there is a compensation package on offer including removal fees. 

I will start a list, that’s a good idea. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,351 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that Mark, hope it all works out for you, sadly moving home is a very stressful time.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    Sorry to hear that Mark, hope it all works out for you, sadly moving home is a very stressful time.
    Thanks. I’m certainly not looking forward to it. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,941 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this @MarkN88 we will be here for you every step of the way :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • MarkM88
    Ami2301 said:
    Sorry to hear this @MarkN88 we will be here for you every step of the way :)
    Appreciate it. 
  • MarkM88
    Well I got the official letter today with the paperwork. 

The good news is, they are offering a home loss compensation payment of £6500 and reimbursement of reasonable removal costs. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,360 Disability Gamechanger
    At least it wasnt a surprise and the compensation will be a good amount to help with setting up somewhere new 

Good luck in finding somewhere 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can't help I will
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 that's a good amount  nice amount to start you off  in your new home hope you find somewhere  nice where you will be happy 😊 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 2,009 Pioneering
    edited February 27
    @MarkN88 sorry to hear that, great compensation it will help with every you need, hope you get somewhere soon
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,005

Scope community team

Sorry to hear about this @MarkN88, I hope you find somewhere else suitable for you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,657 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a nice amount of compensation!  Can treat yourself to some new furniture etc for the new place.

Not to be negative, but I was just wondering if that would be classed as savings for ESA or if there's a grace period in which to spend it?
  • MarkM88
    That's a nice amount of compensation!  Can treat yourself to some new furniture etc for the new place.

Not to be negative, but I was just wondering if that would be classed as savings for ESA or if there's a grace period in which to spend it?
    Thanks everyone for the comments. 

I am getting a call from the allocations officer tomorrow to talk through available properties. 

I’ve been wondering the same, although for myself, I’m on JSA. 
  • MarkM88
    @Ross_Scope would you have any idea about this? When I receive it, does this sort of compensation contribute to the savings limit and therefore id need to report it, or does it get disregarded? 
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 it wouldn't be blessed as savings because its money to use on your new home and because you have to move 

When my partner had to move from their block of flats they were given money to move and it was a large sum of money  but I supose its worth checking but my partners was classed on money spent for move 
  • MarkM88
    @lisathomas50 yeah I think ill need to look into it properly because ill want to declare it if i have to. 
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 my partner declared his and they said it had to be spent on his new property and he had to keep all receipts and produce them that was in wales  but I don't supose its different any where else 
  • MarkM88
    @MarkN88 my partner declared his and they said it had to be spent on his new property and he had to keep all receipts and produce them that was in wales  but I don't supose its different any where else 
    Thanks for the information. 
  • woodbine
    @MarkN88 i would check with a DWP DM if they would class the money as savings or give you time in which to spend it, however if its the only "savings" you would have then it won't take much off your JSA and once you have below £6k it will be discounted.
    However i'm not sure if the rules would be different if you are on new or old style JSA hopefully someone will advise, if not a call to the DWP would answer that.
    Hope they offer you a property that you like.
  • MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    @MarkN88 i would check with a DWP DM if they would class the money as savings or give you time in which to spend it, however if its the only "savings" you would have then it won't take much off your JSA and once you have below £6k it will be discounted.
    However i'm not sure if the rules would be different if you are on new or old style JSA hopefully someone will advise, if not a call to the DWP would answer that.
    Hope they offer you a property that you like.
    Its income based JSA and I also claim CTR and HB, so ill need to inform the local council too. 

Ive received the same advice from you as I have done on another forum too, so its reassuring to hear it from different people. 

I will hopefully hear soon about any available properties they have. 
  • MarkM88
    Got a call today saying there might be a property coming free shortly. 

Does anyone have experience of been moved? 

Will they need me to go through reference and police/dbs checks again? Or will that not be needed since I’m already a tenant? 

This is with a housing association. 

I’ve been told off a friend they would probably just do a managed transfer and therefore my tenancy would just transfer to the new property. 
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 it should just be a managed move as it's them who have said you have to move and are helping you to find somewhere to live. 

How did you get on with finding out about the money they are giving you to move does it affect your savings or benefits ??
  • MarkM88
    @lisathomas50

yeah I’m hoping that’s the case as it would save delays, and new reference checks seem stupid when I’ve been there tenant nearly 4 years now, they should know me by now. 

Someone on another forum pointed out that the type of payment I’m getting is covered by one of the regulations for JSA so that should be okay. 

The HB & CTR I’ll need to check with the council. 
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 glad things are moveing forward for you and that you soon find a home you are happy with 
  • MarkM88
    Thanks. 

Hopefully the housing officer will ring me by end of the week. 
  • MarkM88
    edited March 3
    @SheffieldBloke1976 if you think that would be a better option than I encourage you to explore your options, just have a honest conversation with people like family, friends and your social worker, to see what they think and see what support they can offer. 

@lisathomas50 housing officer rang earlier, they have a one bedroom flat, just across the other side of the town I live in, available now and its ground floor which is something I wanted, and I have a viewing on Friday 12th March at 1pm. 
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 that's fab news hope you like the flat and it's in a location you like so happy for you 😀 fingers crossed its the one for you 
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 ket me know how you get on 
  • MarkM88
  • woodbine
    @MarkN88 good luck with the viewing hope it's somewhere/something that's ok for you.
  • MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    @MarkN88 good luck with the viewing hope it's somewhere/something that's ok for you.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. 
  • MarkM88
    @lisathomas50 thought I would tag you here, saves going off topic on the other thread.

I accepted the alternative flat the housing association offered me, its ground floor, in a quiet area, freshly painted, new boiler and 5min away from the beach.

Removal company is booked for 31st and I get the keys 29th, so only a week away. 
  • woodbine
    @MarkN88 i'm sure we all wish you good luck in your new home
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,612 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds great @MarkN88 - hope you enjoy your new home. :)
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 fantastic and by the beach cant fault that so happy for you enjoy and be happy 😀
  • MarkM88
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 624 Pioneering
    Hi @MarkN88 :)

Just wanted to drop by and say all the best for your house move and good luck in your new home!

By the beach? Sounds lovely!

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MarkM88
    @Caz_Scope thanks!

Does anyone know what a household information survey is? 

I was told I’d need to complete one on Monday when I go through the sign up process. 

I thought it might be similar to an application form but with it been a tenancy transfer and then having the information about me and it all been approved, I’m wondering what it is? 

Is it just a survey regarding household members like educational background, ethnicity, etc? 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,941 Disability Gamechanger
    So pleased for you @MarkN88! Just an idea, we could all throw you a virtual new home party! We've had virtual birthday parties, so your's could be the first new home party! In all seriousness though, I do wish you all the best with your new home :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lisathomas50
    @MarkN88 I have heard of them but not sure what it is maybe its about how they handled everything from when they told you that you had to move out  to giving money gor the move to getting you a new place 

That could be one thing but not realy sure just a suggestion if whst it may be 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.