Im really sad about my home - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Im really sad about my home

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    That's a nice amount of compensation!  Can treat yourself to some new furniture etc for the new place.

Not to be negative, but I was just wondering if that would be classed as savings for ESA or if there's a grace period in which to spend it?
    Thanks everyone for the comments. 

I am getting a call from the allocations officer tomorrow to talk through available properties. 

I’ve been wondering the same, although for myself, I’m on JSA. 
  • MarkM88
    @Ross_Scope would you have any idea about this? When I receive it, does this sort of compensation contribute to the savings limit and therefore id need to report it, or does it get disregarded? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 it wouldn't be blessed as savings because its money to use on your new home and because you have to move 

When my partner had to move from their block of flats they were given money to move and it was a large sum of money  but I supose its worth checking but my partners was classed on money spent for move 
  • MarkM88
    @lisathomas50 yeah I think ill need to look into it properly because ill want to declare it if i have to. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 my partner declared his and they said it had to be spent on his new property and he had to keep all receipts and produce them that was in wales  but I don't supose its different any where else 
  • MarkM88
    @MarkN88 my partner declared his and they said it had to be spent on his new property and he had to keep all receipts and produce them that was in wales  but I don't supose its different any where else 
    Thanks for the information. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 i would check with a DWP DM if they would class the money as savings or give you time in which to spend it, however if its the only "savings" you would have then it won't take much off your JSA and once you have below £6k it will be discounted.
    However i'm not sure if the rules would be different if you are on new or old style JSA hopefully someone will advise, if not a call to the DWP would answer that.
    Hope they offer you a property that you like.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    @MarkN88 i would check with a DWP DM if they would class the money as savings or give you time in which to spend it, however if its the only "savings" you would have then it won't take much off your JSA and once you have below £6k it will be discounted.
    However i'm not sure if the rules would be different if you are on new or old style JSA hopefully someone will advise, if not a call to the DWP would answer that.
    Hope they offer you a property that you like.
    Its income based JSA and I also claim CTR and HB, so ill need to inform the local council too. 

Ive received the same advice from you as I have done on another forum too, so its reassuring to hear it from different people. 

I will hopefully hear soon about any available properties they have. 
  • MarkM88
    Got a call today saying there might be a property coming free shortly. 

Does anyone have experience of been moved? 

Will they need me to go through reference and police/dbs checks again? Or will that not be needed since I’m already a tenant? 

This is with a housing association. 

I’ve been told off a friend they would probably just do a managed transfer and therefore my tenancy would just transfer to the new property. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 it should just be a managed move as it's them who have said you have to move and are helping you to find somewhere to live. 

How did you get on with finding out about the money they are giving you to move does it affect your savings or benefits ??
  • MarkM88
    @lisathomas50

yeah I’m hoping that’s the case as it would save delays, and new reference checks seem stupid when I’ve been there tenant nearly 4 years now, they should know me by now. 

Someone on another forum pointed out that the type of payment I’m getting is covered by one of the regulations for JSA so that should be okay. 

The HB & CTR I’ll need to check with the council. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 glad things are moveing forward for you and that you soon find a home you are happy with 
  • MarkM88
    Thanks. 

Hopefully the housing officer will ring me by end of the week. 
  • MarkM88
    edited March 2021
    @SheffieldBloke1976 if you think that would be a better option than I encourage you to explore your options, just have a honest conversation with people like family, friends and your social worker, to see what they think and see what support they can offer. 

@lisathomas50 housing officer rang earlier, they have a one bedroom flat, just across the other side of the town I live in, available now and its ground floor which is something I wanted, and I have a viewing on Friday 12th March at 1pm. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 that's fab news hope you like the flat and it's in a location you like so happy for you ? fingers crossed its the one for you 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 ket me know how you get on 
  • MarkM88
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 good luck with the viewing hope it's somewhere/something that's ok for you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    @MarkN88 good luck with the viewing hope it's somewhere/something that's ok for you.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. 
  • MarkM88
    @lisathomas50 thought I would tag you here, saves going off topic on the other thread.

I accepted the alternative flat the housing association offered me, its ground floor, in a quiet area, freshly painted, new boiler and 5min away from the beach.

Removal company is booked for 31st and I get the keys 29th, so only a week away. 

Brightness