Im really sad about my home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Im really sad about my home

MarkM88
MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
edited February 2021 in Coffee lounge
I’m really sad about my home. I have been in my flat nearly 4 years and there has been rumours circulating for a while now. 

Received the phone call this morning that they are demolishing the building. 

The good news is they will work with me to find somewhere new, I’m just dreading the process and the moving. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'd be feeling the same way @MarkN88. Have they given you a time frame?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MarkM88
    I'd be feeling the same way @MarkN88. Have they given you a time frame?
    To be honest they are being really nice about it. They have said it will take however long it takes to rehouse all the flats. 

So hopefully I can have the time to find somewhere. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear your news, I wish you well with it @MarkN88

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that @MarkN88, but hopefully you'll find be able to find somewhere suitable. Is there anything in particular you're worried about in terms of moving? I know it can be a stressful experience on the whole. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 sorry to hear about your home  I  know its hard and it is very stressful ,  if you can look past that  you might find a better place where your happier and you are getting help to find another home once you settle in hopefuly you feel OK. 

I was in a similar situation where I live now I used to live four doors  away   and my landlord had all his property's repossessed  he didn't inform me and I was given 4 weeks to move lucky for myself the landlord I am with now was fantastic 

The day I got the letter my now landlord had heard the news and came to see me he had just finished renovating the house I am in now 

He gave me the keys and said the house was mine if I wanted it  and I moved it straight away 

I love the house I am in now and i am realy happy I have been in it three years and I have a fantastic and catering landlord 

Hope you get the same happiness ?
  • MarkM88
    Thanks everyone. 

I think the worry is the stress, @Tori_Scope , I think once it’s done it will be fine. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a shame.  :(   Is there any reason they're being demolished?  Will they be building more on that site I wonder?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry about your home and agree how stressful moving can be . Just take it one step at a time and if you need help ask for it 

When I moved I got lots help from council they supplied removal company who dismantled stuff and set back up like bed wardrobes etc 

You can get moving companies that do the packing for you as well 

Make list of all places you need to inform change of address,  as I got letters b4 I moved I added them to my list 

You can do lots yo prepare so it makes the move less stressful 
  • MarkM88
    That's a shame.  :(   Is there any reason they're being demolished?  Will they be building more on that site I wonder?
    It’s only rumours but there building bungalows we think. 

Over the years there’s been no investment, new bathrooms that were promised were cancelled and they stopped letting the flats to people. 

It’s a three story, 30 flat building, quite large really, only 10 are occupied. 

Think it’s been on the cards for a while. 
  • MarkM88
    janer1967 said:
    Sorry about your home and agree how stressful moving can be . Just take it one step at a time and if you need help ask for it 

When I moved I got lots help from council they supplied removal company who dismantled stuff and set back up like bed wardrobes etc 

You can get moving companies that do the packing for you as well 

Make list of all places you need to inform change of address,  as I got letters b4 I moved I added them to my list 

You can do lots yo prepare so it makes the move less stressful 
    Yes, I do believe there is a compensation package on offer including removal fees. 

I will start a list, that’s a good idea. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that Mark, hope it all works out for you, sadly moving home is a very stressful time.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    Sorry to hear that Mark, hope it all works out for you, sadly moving home is a very stressful time.
    Thanks. I’m certainly not looking forward to it. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this @MarkN88 we will be here for you every step of the way :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • MarkM88
    Ami2301 said:
    Sorry to hear this @MarkN88 we will be here for you every step of the way :)
    Appreciate it. 
  • MarkM88
    Well I got the official letter today with the paperwork. 

The good news is, they are offering a home loss compensation payment of £6500 and reimbursement of reasonable removal costs. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    At least it wasnt a surprise and the compensation will be a good amount to help with setting up somewhere new 

Good luck in finding somewhere 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 that's a good amount  nice amount to start you off  in your new home hope you find somewhere  nice where you will be happy ? 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    @MarkN88 sorry to hear that, great compensation it will help with every you need, hope you get somewhere soon
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear about this @MarkN88, I hope you find somewhere else suitable for you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a nice amount of compensation!  Can treat yourself to some new furniture etc for the new place.

Not to be negative, but I was just wondering if that would be classed as savings for ESA or if there's a grace period in which to spend it?

Brightness