How do you shop for clothing? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you shop for clothing?

Options
yaskeats
yaskeats Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
We all get dressed in the morning but I know from personal experience that living with a disability can make dressing and buying clothing a tedious event!

How do you shop for clothing? what is the experience like? is it accessible? 
Tagged:

Comments

• cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    Options
    I haven't shopped for clothing since lockdown in March 2020. I like to go somewhere I can try it on. I tried buying clothing online but I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle of different manufacturers coming up different sizes, etc. Much easier to see it ad feel it. I used to like buying from Peacocks but I see it is gone now so I'll have to find a new supplier. I'm one of those people who will wear something until it virtually falls off me. That sounds a bit bad, I do change every day! ;-)
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    As a disabled person people have no idea how difficult it is to buy clothes. Like cartha above I like to try things on to see if they fit especially if its for something special. I usually buy my trousers from Debenhams and my tracksuit bottoms from Bon Marche as I know they fit after trying on many different brands but our local branches are gone. No idea where to go now. My feet are size 2 and have always had difficulty buying these as it is either childrens or those with very high heels.
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    Since all of the lockdowns, I have turned to online shopping. I try to order similar clothes to the ones I currently own, this way I know that I will get the sizing correct and therefore reducing the task of having to return items. I have many clothing items which are identical, but just in different colours/designs - meaning the fit is the same. When the shops are open, I don't mind going to the shops as you can often find really good sales/last minute deals but ultimately, online shopping is less stressful and can make the whole shopping process a lot easier.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have found buying on line to be a good alternative during lockdown but like @cartha I have found sizes differ so I have taken to buying elasticated waistband trousers and oversized T shirts mostly. That way I can afford to pop another hobnob or two when I wish! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    I buy most of my clothes from charity shops. 
  • cartha
    cartha Community member Posts: 1,390 Pioneering
    Options
    I've bought a lot of clothing from charity shops but not sure how many will be left after lockdown. Some great bargains in some charity shops.
  • sally37
    sally37 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    If your a plus size lady or man I love yours clothing and it souits me
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    yaskeats said:
    We all get dressed in the morning but I know from personal experience that living with a disability can make dressing and buying clothing a tedious event!

How do you shop for clothing? what is the experience like? is it accessible? 
    This is an interesting post, thank you @yaskeats for asking these important questions :)

For me, during lockdown, I did a lot of my clothes shopping online and found that an accessible way of shopping for new items. I think one thing that is also important to add to these questions, is around the type of products for individuals living with a disability. 

For example, I have endometriosis and experience pain and stomach cramps daily. A hot water bottle really helps with my symptoms but it's obviously not very accessible when you might have to walk to somewhere/or be outside etc. Therefore, thinking about the design of clothes/items is also important to ensure that they are more accessible for individuals living with a disability :)
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    i often buy online but I also try to buy what I can from second hand shops, if possible name brands which look as good as new. At the moment I’m looking for a nice jumper but they seldom have my larger than large size!  

I have asked santa for one this year but for some reason I seldom get what’s on my modest lists, perhaps I should stop posting to the North Pole? ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mainly online unless something catches me when out 
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    I prefer to buy clothes from Primark, New Look, H&Ms, Peacocks and charity shops instead of purchasing clothes and accessories online. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mainly online but do like second hand shops 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Not many charities sell online especially clothes I guess photo and inventorying everything would add a lot to overheads.
  • janer1967
    Options
    I've bought 3 skirts today online from asda I currently don't own a skirt thought they would be nice for my holiday 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    What colours did you go for @janer1967?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Online I don't normally for clothes as I like to try on 1st, I have recently because of time limits and turned out OK. Prefer to go in the shop, I don't mind on line for shoes or boots
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    I used to shop for shoes at Clarks when I was a kid but I currently shop for shoes at Shoe zone and a few charity shops. I bought 3 new canvas shoes at Sainsbury's. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    I got a black one with coloured butterflies on a white one with floral print and a blue and white stripe 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like to buy in the shops and try on 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.