Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Have your say about your online community! Complete our annual survey.

How do you shop for clothing?

yaskeatsyaskeats Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 4 in Coffee lounge
We all get dressed in the morning but I know from personal experience that living with a disability can make dressing and buying clothing a tedious event!

How do you shop for clothing? what is the experience like? is it accessible? 
Tagged:

Replies

• carthacartha Member Posts: 1,388 Pioneering
    I haven't shopped for clothing since lockdown in March 2020. I like to go somewhere I can try it on. I tried buying clothing online but I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle of different manufacturers coming up different sizes, etc. Much easier to see it ad feel it. I used to like buying from Peacocks but I see it is gone now so I'll have to find a new supplier. I'm one of those people who will wear something until it virtually falls off me. That sounds a bit bad, I do change every day! ;-)
  • littleacornlittleacorn Member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    As a disabled person people have no idea how difficult it is to buy clothes. Like cartha above I like to try things on to see if they fit especially if its for something special. I usually buy my trousers from Debenhams and my tracksuit bottoms from Bon Marche as I know they fit after trying on many different brands but our local branches are gone. No idea where to go now. My feet are size 2 and have always had difficulty buying these as it is either childrens or those with very high heels.
  • mia97mia97 Member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Since all of the lockdowns, I have turned to online shopping. I try to order similar clothes to the ones I currently own, this way I know that I will get the sizing correct and therefore reducing the task of having to return items. I have many clothing items which are identical, but just in different colours/designs - meaning the fit is the same. When the shops are open, I don't mind going to the shops as you can often find really good sales/last minute deals but ultimately, online shopping is less stressful and can make the whole shopping process a lot easier.
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,251 Disability Gamechanger
    I have found buying on line to be a good alternative during lockdown but like @cartha I have found sizes differ so I have taken to buying elasticated waistband trousers and oversized T shirts mostly. That way I can afford to pop another hobnob or two when I wish! 🙂
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,760 Disability Gamechanger
    Shop lighting is all about effect rather than practicality so a few times I’ve bought things thinking they were one colour and they were another. Bought at least one jacket which I’d already got as a result. So, nothing gets bought without taking it to a changing room or around a shop for a walk into different lighting. My sight means I always buy socks with colour and patterns so I can pair them easily. 

Not possible at present obviously but then I don’t need much at present. I’d buy online but rarely things with colour as web site colours are very hard to judge when you have any kind of colour blindness. Only thing I’ve bought in the past 12 months is a dark blue Portsmouth pea coat from White Stuff. 

Also important to know your own measurements really well and how they change from shop to shop and product to product 
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 739 Pioneering
    I buy most of my clothes from charity shops. 
  • carthacartha Member Posts: 1,388 Pioneering
    I've bought a lot of clothing from charity shops but not sure how many will be left after lockdown. Some great bargains in some charity shops.
  • sally37sally37 Member Posts: 15 Listener
    If your a plus size lady or man I love yours clothing and it souits me
Sign in or join us to comment.