Possible Benefit Claim Advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Possible Benefit Claim Advice

Hi guys, 

New here and i have been reading some posts, wonder if someone could maybe give me some information or advice please.

I work at home and have done for almost 10 years, technical support, so i use a computer all day and lots of reading on screens, about 2 years ago or so my vision in my left eye went bad and i was told i had Diabetic Retinopathy in both eyes, i have since had 2 operations on my left eye, detached retina and they did not work, the eye is essentially blind now.

I have had 4 laser surgeries on the right eye and the vision is getting worse in that eye, I know there is pulling on the retina as i see the Ophthalmologist every 3 months, they have said i will need an operation at some point but they are waiting until the last minute. There is a big chance that it wont work like the previous ones, i suppose my question is what would i be entitled to and how would i go about it. 

I am probably not entitled to anything at the moment, but i do know my job is getting harder as my sight gets worse, when i mention it to the ophthalmologist they do not seem to care, they just say we will see you in 3 months and wait for the op, i seem to be between a rock and a hard place at the moment. 

If I do have the op and it does not work, then there is nothing i could do for the company i work for now, i simply will not be able to see, would i claim UC and also claim for Disability? Do i need an assessment? as if that does happen, i am sure they write off to inform people of my vision problem, just not too sure on the way forward if the worst happens. 



  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,409 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    I am in similar situation vision wise blind in one eye had all surgeries you mention trying to preserve vision in other eye 

    As for benefits you could possibly claim new style esa dependant on ni contributions.  The best way is to go off sick from work and get your ssp entitlement then when it has finished claim esa 

    This will require fit notes and an assessment 

    The other is to claim UC and declare medical condition again provide fit notes and and you will be referred for work capability assessment which could lead to being awarded LCWRA which has an additional payment on top of UC.  

    Either assessment could find you fit for work or LCW which have no additional payments 

    I would read up on the different options 

    Dependant on how your condition affects your daily living you may also be entitled to claim PIP have a look at the descriptors to see if you think you would be entitled 

    Lots to take in and would suggest you do some research 

    Any further questions just ask hope this helps to get you started 
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Wilsonwinehouse Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your advice, in an ideal world i would have my op and it goes well and i just carry on with a semi decent eye. 

    How do people live off of SSP, isnt it like £95 a week, would you be able to claim some benefit as well, because that wouldnt even pay the rent. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,409 Disability Gamechanger
    Hopefully the op will work 

    You may be able to claim UC as well as ssp I'm not certain 

    Try a benefits calculator it may help show what you could be entitled to . You could also call welfare rights 

    Other members are more expert in benefits si will be able to help 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.