Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Euro 2020, what did you think of the tournament?

WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,354 Pioneering
edited July 13 in Coffee lounge
Hi all, 
         I hope that everyone is well. On Friday 11th June, the delayed Euros will be kicking off which is really exciting for many fans across the continent. As some of you may know, Scope have set up a Sweepstake and I would encourage you to participate if you would like too, I believe there are spaces left :) I thought though, it would be nice to have a thread where we can just talk all things Euro's, whether that be squad selections, individual performances or goal of the tournament! Please remember, this is a friendly and respectful community and though I know we may not always agree and emotions run high, please let's keep this thread with these morals at the forefront. Thank you. 

So I thought we would kick-off with that ever pressing question; who do you think will win the Euro's? 
Thank you. 
Tagged:

Replies

• WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,354 Pioneering
    @Scottyboy @Stayce @ernie2009 Hope you are all well. I thought this thread may be of interest to you and also wanted to let you know about the Sweepstake, in case you hadn't seen it on the community. Hope this is ok. Thank you. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,008 Disability Gamechanger
    I know nothing about football so this is a wild guess 

France 
    Great guess @janer1967, France have a really good chance, they won the 2018 World Cup, so it will be interesting to watch them. Thank you
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,388 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm hoping England can go all the way this time, but i wouldn't bet the house on them.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
    I agree @woodbine, I don't want to sound unpatriotic but I don't think we have what it takes, partly due to some of the team selection choices Southgate has made, but I hope that I'm wrong. Come on England :) Thank you
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,097

Scope community team

Thanks for starting this thread @WestHam06, and yes there are a few places left in the sweepstake if anyone wants to get involved. 

I keep changing my mind about who will win it, but I can't look past France at this moment in time, like @janer1967. They have such a good squad. I think Spain will go far, [email protected]

England have a great chance but it all depends on who we draw in the second round providing we get there, we have a chance of drawing against a team from the group of death.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • AudreyM49AudreyM49 Member Posts: 31 Connected
    “All I have to say is “ Yes Sir I Can Boogie “ 😁
  • ernie2009ernie2009 Member Posts: 134 Pioneering
    hi @WestHam06 all good this end as hope all is well with you. dont hold out to much hope with england as only 1 hammers player in sqaud so doomed from the start lol. if jack grielish learns to stand up for more than a minute and harry kane learns to score from open play we might get somewhere, only joking but dont hold much hope. we need more hammers in the team as more hammers makes more steel.  :)

Scope community team

There also needs to be more Leeds players @ernie2009 so the team runs and runs and runs :) 

I agree with you about Kane and Greelish, I'm hoping for a more all-round contribution from Kane this time as a pose to what he did in the World Cup, and Greelish irritates me to be honest. There's a reason he's fouled more than any other player and that's because he goes down easier 

hi @Ross_Scope  i remember many years ago where leeds played sunderland i think it was and they lost in the fa cup final. that day my dad threw me out for taking the micky out of my younger brother as he supports leeds.. i cant believe leeds were out of top flight for so long but great to have them back where they belong. oh yes jack grielish on a windy day will fall over for a foul and yes he really irritates me also and cant stand the bloke. harry kane gets to much publicity and no doubt he,s a good penalty taker but needs to up his game with goals fro open play. i really dont know how england will fair to be honest but yet again at the end there will be questions asked  and that happens after every tournament . if we dont win the euros theres alway the next world cup to look farward to and thats the way it always happens and is done.

Scope community team

1972 or 73 that was @ernie2009, most Leeds fans still haven't gotten over it :) 

Hi @ernie2009
                             I'm pleased to hear all is good with you, the same for me as well thank you. Absolutely agree with you, I mean let's be fair, West Ham players made a significant contribution to the World Cup win in 66, though I know it's a team effort :) In my opinion, Grealish is overrated, don't get me wrong he can run with the ball at his feet, but as you say he goes down to easily. Also, I don't seem him particularly standing out in terms of passing, tackling etc. Then again I seem to disagree with some of the other team selections, for me, I don't think Harry Maguire should be in the team, not only for the fact he's injured, but personally, I don't think he is any better than the other defenders we've got. Please can I ask your thoughts on Maguire? Thank you.  
  • GarzaGarza Member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    being a patriot I would love to say England but I just can't see it, leaving out Lingaard and Bamford is beyond me, as has been previously said, dont rate Grealish at all, cant see the point of taking injured or unfit players (maguire and henderson), fingers crossed regardless of all this we can pull it off.

My favourites for the tournament, if they can play together as a team and not just be eleven individuals would have to be Belgium, I think they have some of the most talented players and also the strongest squad depth 
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,310 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not good with this sort of discusdion but I hope England as two of the players  live in my village  and that's the reason why lol
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @ernie2009
                             I'm pleased to hear all is good with you, the same for me as well thank you. Absolutely agree with you, I mean let's be fair, West Ham players made a significant contribution to the World Cup win in 66, though I know it's a team effort :) In my opinion, Grealish is overrated, don't get me wrong he can run with the ball at his feet, but as you say he goes down to easily. Also, I don't seem him particularly standing out in terms of passing, tackling etc. Then again I seem to disagree with some of the other team selections, for me, I don't think Harry Maguire should be in the team, not only for the fact he's injured, but personally, I don't think he is any better than the other defenders we've got. Please can I ask your thoughts on Maguire? Thank you.  
    hi @WestHam06 since 66 when as you say we had some good old west ham players in the team endland have with nowt so thats 55 yrs and nothing. i always thought endland players were chosen on the form showed for their club but that dosnt ring true with sqaud. players who have been injured and so on just dosnt add up for me so is it the fa who chose the team or the england manager as it dosnt add up to me. to me jack grielish falls down at the drop of a hat. harry kane is nowhere to be seen untill the ball is right in front of goal or penalty time so your playing with 10 men or less most of the time. it would be nice to see endland win but doubt that very much. mr maguire can play when he wants to but as with most and this has always been once they go behind their little heads drop and and the passions gone. now theres a thought a good england team with lots of passion and some steel in their bellies instead of well its my right to be here because well because. never mind we have the world cup to look forward to lol. why the heck didnt jessie and ollie watkins get picked as on form? beggers belief.

Scope community team

Hope everyone enjoys the opening match tonight and the games over the weekend :) 

edited June 11
    Completely agree with all that you have said @ernie2009, I think the FA say to the manager a percentage of the squad have to play for the so-called 'big 6', but that's just my opinion. As @Garza has said, I can't understand why Watkins and Lingard were not in the final squad, sometimes decisions that are made just don't make sense. That said, if England go on to win it, I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I think though the greatest injustice of the past 60 or so years is 'Mark Noble is the greatest player never to play for the senior England squad' :) Thank you.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

I'm disappointed that Henderson and Maguire are in the squad, but Ward-Prowse isn't. I'm a bit concerned where the goals are going to come from really. Then again, an early England exit will mean I can enjoy the rest of the tournament without stress! :wink:

Who do we reckon is winning in the opening game? Italy are on an impressive run but their form in opening games is always a bit iffy.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Scope community team

What do you all think of the start to the competition?

Hi @Ross_Scope
                                  Hope you are well? What a first weekend of the Euros, an England win with a strong defensive performance :) And what about the game last night, I think we have our first goal of the tournament contender in Yarmolenko's goal (shame he doesn't do that more often for West Ham :) But above all of this, I think we were all reminded of how life can change so quickly. My very best wishes go to Christen Eriksen and his family and I have the greatest respect for the Denmark team and in particular their captain Simon Kjaer, not just a footballer, but a life saver. Football really is the most important of the least important things. Thank you 
  • goods166goods166 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi all, 
             I hope that everyone is well. On Friday 11th June, the delayed Euros will be kicking off which is really exciting for many fans across the continent. As some of you may know, Scope have set up a Sweepstake and I would encourage you to participate if you would like too, I believe there are spaces left :) I thought though, it would be nice to have a thread where we can just talk all things Euro's, whether that be squad selections, individual performances or goal of the tournament! Please remember, this is a friendly and respectful community and though I know we may not always agree and emotions run high, please let's keep this thread with these morals at the forefront. Thank you. 

So I thought we would kick-off with that ever pressing question; who do you think will win the Euro's? 
    Thank you. 
    Germany - Ok they're not quite the team they were in 2014 but still in with a shout 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,577 Disability Gamechanger
    How on earth did Spain not score tonight! Wow 😲 
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,533 Pioneering
    Looking faward to tonights eng and scot game

Scope community team

What are your predictions ahead of tonight?

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,418 Disability Gamechanger
    UK based forums could be interesting after an England/Scotland game!  :#

I'm going for England, Sweden & Croatia all winning their respective matches today.  (Sweden being my sweepstake team)  
  • easyeasy Member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    Hi Folks, I picked no. 19 on the sweep stake but I have no idea what team this gives me. Can someone tell me where I can find out. Thanks.

Scope community team

Hello @easy

You can find the listings here, number 19 is France.

Despite my sweepstake team being Scotland, as an Englishman I must cheer on the lads :) 

edited June 18
    France @easy

Euro 2020 Sweepstake team announcement

Thread

@Ross_Scope we posted roughly same time
    I've got sweeden match on at minute

Scope community team

Great minds think alike @Sandy_123 :) 

How's the Sweden match going? Any good?

No score yet, but only just started , I've got me England top for later 
  • easyeasy Member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    Thanks for info... say no more!
    My tean not doing so well I will be out first round (turkey) 
    edited June 18
    You never know @janer1967 still no score with Sweden and Slovakia

Ohhh Sweden 1 0  on a free kick
    Any one watching England Scotland match 
  • vikingqueenvikingqueen Member Posts: 435 Pioneering
           I am  :) don't really like football either 
    Good game so far
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,997

Scope community team

Sandy_123 said:
    Any one watching England Scotland match 
    I am 🙂
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    England need to do a lot lot better, can you imagine what Portugal, Germany or Italy would do to them going on today’s performance against Scotland. 

Very disappointing indeed. 😕
          I don't think "it's coming home" anytime soon judging on that performance  :/
    edited June 18
    Have faith lol, it ain't over till the large lady sings I couldn't say the f word as might be offensive 
    Getting bored with all these draws, feels like the game was a waste of time.  I should probably only watch games that can end with penalties!  :D
  • cazza6565cazza6565 Member Posts: 42 Connected
    As a glaswegian i am more than happy with last night's result. OverlyAnxious said:
    Getting bored with all these draws, feels like the game was a waste of time.  I should probably only watch games that can end with penalties!  :D
    I think 3 draws out of 21 games do far is very low 
    cazza6565 said:
    As a glaswegian i am more than happy with last night's result. OverlyAnxious said:
    I think 3 draws out of 21 games do far is very low 
    Is that all?  It's been 3 out of the 4 games that I've watched!  Sounds like I need to make better game choices in that case!  :D
            Maybe if the players found the passion their fans have we would see much better games  ;)
    @OverlyAnxious it was 2 out of 3 draws yesterday alone lol. I apologise it's been  4 out of 21 as I forgot to add last night's late game. 
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,023 Disability Gamechanger
    The neighbours were so loud I didn’t need to watch the match, just had updates from them :D 

Scope community team

England were quite poor last night, well done to Scotland. Although I feel as though an England side that plays with tempo and purpose would have won that game, in the instances where they stepped up their intensity they created chances.

Very difficult watch last night, England lacked intensity, drive and the ability to create a clear cut chance. It's hard to see how they can go far in this tournament. With the greatest of respect, Scotland are the third lowest ranked side and we struggled to create anything, well done to Scotland though, great performance and were unlucky not to take all three points. I don't know why England played as sluggishly as they did, maybe the occasion got the better of them, for most it was their first game against Scotland, but I do think you also have to question some of the decisions made from the touch line. Foden was arguably our best outfield player and yet he was subbed in the second half :open_mouth: Oh well, a point is better than nothing and we must move onto the next game. Thank you. 
    edited June 19
    France and Hungary at 2 bbc1 if any one is intrested

Scope community team

I'll certainly be following along @Sandy_123, surely a France win? 

I agree with you @WestHam06, after the first two games it's hard to see England going far. I'm contemplating in my mind whether the slow build up and cautious approach is deliberate and planned, because it feels as though that's the way we've been playing for the whole season. I do wonder what happened to the site that was playing fast attacking football and hitting 5 past teams regularly in 2019.

@Ross_Scope yes France are a good team, depends if players have been changed etc, 

Scope community team

Looks as though they haven't been @Sandy_123. I'm cheering for Hungary :) 

Scope community team

Well well well, Hungary take the lead!

edited June 19
    Germany get two lucky own goals against Portugal, would you believe it.

Portugal should win this though. Maybe...🤔

Scope community team

I dunno @leeCal, the Germans seem on it today :) 

I must admit they were forced errors @Ross_Scope, could be yet another draw.
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Come on Germany

I have a small bet on Germany as I won a bit from them winning the World Cup :D 
    Guess you won your bet then @66Mustang 🙂
    @leeCal

Not yet - the bet is on them winning the whole thing! :smiley:
    Oh I see, how speculative! They’ll have to beat England to do that 🐌

Scope community team

How is everyone's sweepstake team getting on?

Turkey not going well 
    66Mustang said:

Not yet - the bet is on them winning the whole thing! :smiley:
    How is everyone's sweepstake team getting on?

I've been having the odd bet on the Euro's, despite not having kept up with football recently...

Won £7.84 thanks to my sweepstake team (Sweden) winning on Friday.  And another £2.85 for Spain drawing with Poland last night...  So (after a few losses as well) I'm 94p up on my original £10 bet deposit!  :D

And now I find myself studying the previous results to make a better educated guess on future games...  I'm not brave enough to bet on a total result until teams start getting knocked out though!  ;)

Scope community team

You're doing rather well there then @OverlyAnxious, hope the luck continues :) 

Not so much luck for you at the minute @janer1967, Turkey have been awful though they have one last chance later today.

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    How's Germany getting on?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Scope community team

Rather well @Ami2301, they lost their opening game 1 - 0 against France, the favourites. However they beat Portugal, the previous champions of this competition, 4 - 2 yesterday. 

Well done @OverlyAnxious,
     you’re a braver man than me!
    By the way 
    Happy Father’s Day! 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,048 Disability Gamechanger
    I've just checked & 'my' team the Netherlands seems to be doing well (tho I'm sorry they beat Austria, my favourite country to visit).
    Does anyone know how Finland are doing? I find the results a bit difficult to interpret!

I'm not sure whether I want Finland or Germany or England to win...what's most important: Scope glory, a bit of money or patriotism...hmm... :D 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,048 Disability Gamechanger
    Finland & Germany have 3 points, & England 4.

Thanks @chiarieds that's useful 

Scope community team

Today's matches are:

Italy vs Wales at 5pm

Turkey vs Switzerland also at 5pm

The last round of group games are starting today, which is why kick-of is at the same time.

I find the Google one easy enough to understand.  Literally just typed 'euros results' in the search box.  Then look at 'tables' to see the score.

Finland have won one, and lost one.  They've scored one goal, and conceded one goal...  So could go either way at the minute!  They're against Belgium tomorrow night though, who have won both of their games so far.  :#
    Lol I was typing in “Finland World Cup”, thats why I couldn’t understand the results it gave me

Scope community team

Oh dear @66Mustang :D 

Well looks like I'm out of the sweepstake 
  • Katharine_ScopeKatharine_Scope Member, Scope Career Pathways service Posts: 41 Connected
    edited June 21
    I was very bored watching England v Scotland. We were very lucky to scrape through! I did enjoy Portugal v Germany though and was impressed with Wales yesterday. Wonder what will happen tomorrow evening in Group D!
    Katharine McKnight
    Careers Adviser, Career Pathways
    Hopefully England will take the opportunity to answer their critics (including me) with a positive performance @Katharine_Scope 🙂
    What do you all think about players getting covid etc
    Last minute win for Sweden this evening!!  Well done lads!  :D
  • euroeuro Member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Just spotted this discussion.  Not really a big footy fan, but I feel like I've got my very own discussion  :D  
    Come on Hungary!
    Who would've guessed that neither France or Germany could win their matches last night!  :o

Yeah I know . Last two games were Ronaldo scores first and Portugal don't win. Beat by Germany then a draw with France. 

Scope community team

England vs Germany, that'll be interesting to say the least.

England vs Germany, that'll be interesting to say the least.
    It certainly will be in our household.  Ich bin von Deutschland and my husband is English.  I don't usually get too involved in football, but won't be missing that match!
    edited June 25
    Hi all, 
              Wow, what a night it was on Wednesday, still recovering from it :) And so as the knock out stage begins, please can I ask, does anyone have any feelings as to who may go all the way? There are some good teams going through who are playing some good football. Also, England vs Germany will be an interesting game and I'm not sure I could call it either way.  England are very cautions and I think Southgate's top priority is to keep a clean sheet, I think that's what has happened to the side @Ross_Scope, because arguably, we have more attacking quality players than we did back then but we're struggling to show this. The trouble with playing defensive like that is you have to be able to score and as was proven against Scotland, this is not always easy. It will also be interesting to see how Wales fare against Denmark, who have become a second team for many people given the circumstances that they, as a team, have faced. Thank you. 

Scope community team

Wow, certainly going to be a tense evening under your roof on Tuesday @euro :)  At least someone will be happy regardless.

At the moment @WestHam06 I fancy the Italians or France, Italy because they've been the best so far and France because they just have by far the best squad. How about you?

I'm looking 4ward to Tuesday might even buy a shirt
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,310 Disability Gamechanger
    Sad to see wales are out conor Roberts lives in my village but he tried lol one of own cant fault that 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,533 Disability Gamechanger
    My expectation was that Wales ought to have finished bottom of their group. A win aside against a surprisingly poor Turkish side we got our tactics and shape wrong in 3 out of 4 matches and got what we deserved i.e. nothing. No reason to suspect it would have been any better under Giggs as this was his squad and the weaknesses were ruthlessly exposed. Morrell and Ward come out of it with credit in the bank but no-one else does. It was like watching Wales in the 1980s. 2 or 3 great players surrounded by Championship or league one journeymen. Watching Page complain we were unlucky against the Danes a because they kept tweaking their tactics was embarrassing. Moore was not fouled in the lead up to the opening goal. We got what we deserved. Zilch.

Scope community team

I'd agree with that @mikehughescq, the win against Turkey looks good on paper but in reality they were the worst team at the competition and fell well below expectations. 

Other than the brilliant assist by Bale in that Turkey game, he didn't really have much impact at all, it's clear to see his drop off from five years ago.

Its a tense game tonight with france and Switzerland anyone watching it
    On the edge of my seat - routing for rhe underdog.
    @euro god I want Switzerland to get 1 more goal 8m shouting at tv
Sign in or join us to comment.