Euro 2020, what did you think of the tournament? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Euro 2020, what did you think of the tournament?

WestHam06
WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
edited July 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi all, 
         I hope that everyone is well. On Friday 11th June, the delayed Euros will be kicking off which is really exciting for many fans across the continent. As some of you may know, Scope have set up a Sweepstake and I would encourage you to participate if you would like too, I believe there are spaces left :) I thought though, it would be nice to have a thread where we can just talk all things Euro's, whether that be squad selections, individual performances or goal of the tournament! Please remember, this is a friendly and respectful community and though I know we may not always agree and emotions run high, please let's keep this thread with these morals at the forefront. Thank you. 

So I thought we would kick-off with that ever pressing question; who do you think will win the Euro's? 
Thank you. 
Tagged:

Comments

• WestHam06
    @Scottyboy @Stayce @ernie2009 Hope you are all well. I thought this thread may be of interest to you and also wanted to let you know about the Sweepstake, in case you hadn't seen it on the community. Hope this is ok. Thank you. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I know nothing about football so this is a wild guess 

France 
  • WestHam06
    Great guess @janer1967, France have a really good chance, they won the 2018 World Cup, so it will be interesting to watch them. Thank you
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm hoping England can go all the way this time, but i wouldn't bet the house on them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• WestHam06
    I agree @woodbine, I don't want to sound unpatriotic but I don't think we have what it takes, partly due to some of the team selection choices Southgate has made, but I hope that I'm wrong. Come on England :) Thank you
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for starting this thread @WestHam06, and yes there are a few places left in the sweepstake if anyone wants to get involved. 

I keep changing my mind about who will win it, but I can't look past France at this moment in time, like @janer1967. They have such a good squad. I think Spain will go far, I@janer1967

England have a great chance but it all depends on who we draw in the second round providing we get there, we have a chance of drawing against a team from the group of death.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • AudreyM49
    AudreyM49 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    “All I have to say is “ Yes Sir I Can Boogie “ ?
  • ernie2009
    ernie2009 Community member Posts: 167 Pioneering
    hi @WestHam06 all good this end as hope all is well with you. dont hold out to much hope with england as only 1 hammers player in sqaud so doomed from the start lol. if jack grielish learns to stand up for more than a minute and harry kane learns to score from open play we might get somewhere, only joking but dont hold much hope. we need more hammers in the team as more hammers makes more steel.  :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    There also needs to be more Leeds players @ernie2009 so the team runs and runs and runs :) 

I agree with you about Kane and Greelish, I'm hoping for a more all-round contribution from Kane this time as a pose to what he did in the World Cup, and Greelish irritates me to be honest. There's a reason he's fouled more than any other player and that's because he goes down easier 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ernie2009
    hi @Ross_Scope  i remember many years ago where leeds played sunderland i think it was and they lost in the fa cup final. that day my dad threw me out for taking the micky out of my younger brother as he supports leeds.. i cant believe leeds were out of top flight for so long but great to have them back where they belong. oh yes jack grielish on a windy day will fall over for a foul and yes he really irritates me also and cant stand the bloke. harry kane gets to much publicity and no doubt he,s a good penalty taker but needs to up his game with goals fro open play. i really dont know how england will fair to be honest but yet again at the end there will be questions asked  and that happens after every tournament . if we dont win the euros theres alway the next world cup to look farward to and thats the way it always happens and is done.
  • Ross_Alumni
    1972 or 73 that was @ernie2009, most Leeds fans still haven't gotten over it :) 

• WestHam06
    Hi @ernie2009
                             I'm pleased to hear all is good with you, the same for me as well thank you. Absolutely agree with you, I mean let's be fair, West Ham players made a significant contribution to the World Cup win in 66, though I know it's a team effort :) In my opinion, Grealish is overrated, don't get me wrong he can run with the ball at his feet, but as you say he goes down to easily. Also, I don't seem him particularly standing out in terms of passing, tackling etc. Then again I seem to disagree with some of the other team selections, for me, I don't think Harry Maguire should be in the team, not only for the fact he's injured, but personally, I don't think he is any better than the other defenders we've got. Please can I ask your thoughts on Maguire? Thank you.  
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    being a patriot I would love to say England but I just can't see it, leaving out Lingaard and Bamford is beyond me, as has been previously said, dont rate Grealish at all, cant see the point of taking injured or unfit players (maguire and henderson), fingers crossed regardless of all this we can pull it off.

My favourites for the tournament, if they can play together as a team and not just be eleven individuals would have to be Belgium, I think they have some of the most talented players and also the strongest squad depth 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not good with this sort of discusdion but I hope England as two of the players  live in my village  and that's the reason why lol
  • ernie2009
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @ernie2009
                             I'm pleased to hear all is good with you, the same for me as well thank you. Absolutely agree with you, I mean let's be fair, West Ham players made a significant contribution to the World Cup win in 66, though I know it's a team effort :) In my opinion, Grealish is overrated, don't get me wrong he can run with the ball at his feet, but as you say he goes down to easily. Also, I don't seem him particularly standing out in terms of passing, tackling etc. Then again I seem to disagree with some of the other team selections, for me, I don't think Harry Maguire should be in the team, not only for the fact he's injured, but personally, I don't think he is any better than the other defenders we've got. Please can I ask your thoughts on Maguire? Thank you.  
    hi @WestHam06 since 66 when as you say we had some good old west ham players in the team endland have with nowt so thats 55 yrs and nothing. i always thought endland players were chosen on the form showed for their club but that dosnt ring true with sqaud. players who have been injured and so on just dosnt add up for me so is it the fa who chose the team or the england manager as it dosnt add up to me. to me jack grielish falls down at the drop of a hat. harry kane is nowhere to be seen untill the ball is right in front of goal or penalty time so your playing with 10 men or less most of the time. it would be nice to see endland win but doubt that very much. mr maguire can play when he wants to but as with most and this has always been once they go behind their little heads drop and and the passions gone. now theres a thought a good england team with lots of passion and some steel in their bellies instead of well its my right to be here because well because. never mind we have the world cup to look forward to lol. why the heck didnt jessie and ollie watkins get picked as on form? beggers belief.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hope everyone enjoys the opening match tonight and the games over the weekend :) 

• WestHam06
    edited June 2021
    Completely agree with all that you have said @ernie2009, I think the FA say to the manager a percentage of the squad have to play for the so-called 'big 6', but that's just my opinion. As @Garza has said, I can't understand why Watkins and Lingard were not in the final squad, sometimes decisions that are made just don't make sense. That said, if England go on to win it, I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I think though the greatest injustice of the past 60 or so years is 'Mark Noble is the greatest player never to play for the senior England squad' :) Thank you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm disappointed that Henderson and Maguire are in the squad, but Ward-Prowse isn't. I'm a bit concerned where the goals are going to come from really. Then again, an early England exit will mean I can enjoy the rest of the tournament without stress! :wink:

Who do we reckon is winning in the opening game? Italy are on an impressive run but their form in opening games is always a bit iffy.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ross_Alumni
    What do you all think of the start to the competition?

• WestHam06
    Hi @Ross_Scope
                                  Hope you are well? What a first weekend of the Euros, an England win with a strong defensive performance :) And what about the game last night, I think we have our first goal of the tournament contender in Yarmolenko's goal (shame he doesn't do that more often for West Ham :) But above all of this, I think we were all reminded of how life can change so quickly. My very best wishes go to Christen Eriksen and his family and I have the greatest respect for the Denmark team and in particular their captain Simon Kjaer, not just a footballer, but a life saver. Football really is the most important of the least important things. Thank you 

Brightness