My son has learning difficulties + was unsuccessful in moving from DLA to PIP. Can anyone help? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My son has learning difficulties + was unsuccessful in moving from DLA to PIP. Can anyone help?

Gill1968 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son is 28 with learning difficulties  he went to a special school at 8 years old statemented applied for pip after being on disability living allowance failed had 6 points applying again just really struggling to help him i am his appointe can anyone help? 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,374 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Make sure you understand the points system and the reliability criteria so that you can construct your claim accordingly
    See also
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    Hi @Gill1968 and a warm welcome to our online community.  How are you doing?

    I'm sorry to hear that your son's PIP claim was unsuccessful.  As mentioned, it's important to identify the points that you believe he should have been awarded and then work on providing evidence to support why.  The second thread @calcotti signposted to gives excellent information on how best to evidence your son's difficulties satisfying the PIP activities, so please make sure to give that a read :)

    Also, if you feel that you need additional support  with your claim, you can use the Advice Local website to find a welfare advice organisation close to where you live (enter your postcode, select 'Welfare benefits', then scroll down the following page).

    If you have any more questions, please do give us a shout.  And just to make you aware, I've amended the title of your thread and moved it to our PIP, DLA and AA category to make it more visible to people reading.

    Wishing both you and your son all the best, take care. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.