Severe Disability Premium backpayment. Is it disregarded as capital? Can I spend all this money?

2»

Comments

• Buchan
    Buchan Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Do be aware that when you’re ringing ESA and UC you are ringing a call centre, not DWP. They often have very limited knowledge. For this reason they are not the best people to ring.

Fair point. I hadn't really considered that. Is there anyone better I could talk to, to your knowledge? How about the office of the guy who signed off the letters i got regarding the transfer of arrears to my account? (Shown a few messages above)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,382 Championing
    Buchan said:
    Do be aware that when you’re ringing ESA and UC you are ringing a call centre, not DWP. They often have very limited knowledge. For this reason they are not the best people to ring.

Fair point. I hadn't really considered that. Is there anyone better I could talk to, to your knowledge? How about the office of the guy who signed off the letters i got regarding the transfer of arrears to my account? (Shown a few messages above)

The letter you posted previously was from DWP. You can try writing to them to ask but it may take a while to receive a reply.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    When you eventually move to UC you would have to declare the capital and then ad a note the source of the capital. A Decision maker would then have to determine whether a suitable disregard applies. When you declare the capital if you reference the legislation the Decision Maker will (hopefully) draw the right conclusion - and if not you can go through the MR and appeal process if necessary.
  • Debbie1234
    Debbie1234 Community member Posts: 183 Contributor
    Hi 😊
    well done for receiving the money as I only know how hard it is! I got paid £15000 back pay a year ago and all is well with esa…. I did spend the money within a month 🤣 a new car £7000 and paying off credit cards (£6000) debt I had originally accumulated to help and alleviate my disability 
  • Debbie1234
    Enjoy the money and try not to worry 😊
  • Debbie1234
    Hi Poppy
    when you say a call centre do you have a number please? The reason I ask is my husband phoned up DWP yesterday to ask about working part time as self-employed so we are not sure if we have been given the right advice
  • poppy123456
    Hi Poppy
    when you say a call centre do you have a number please? The reason I ask is my husband phoned up DWP yesterday to ask about working part time as self-employed so we are not sure if we have been given the right advice
    The advice you were given was correct. See your thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/94264/carers-allowance#latest
  • Debbie1234
    Thank you so much poppy so with his £100 a week wages take-home and the carers allowance he would be on £169.90 if this is correct does this mean that my employment and support allowance would stop because my husband would be earning over £153? I am so confused 
  • poppy123456
    Thank you so much poppy so with his £100 a week wages take-home and the carers allowance he would be on £169.90 if this is correct does this mean that my employment and support allowance would stop because my husband would be earning over £153? I am so confused 

Please see my comment on your other thread. It gets very confusing when asking questions on various threads.