Vegetarian or Meat? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vegetarian or Meat?

Options
Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
edited August 2021 in Coffee lounge
There is a great movement for everyone to stop eating meat and go vegetarian for heal reasons as well as saving the planet.
I am a meat eater, and although I don't eat meat with every meal, I do eat it often, in various forms. I have no intention to go veggie but apparently it will become the 'norm' at some time.
Are we not carnivorous? We do have teeth designed to eat meat after all don't, we?  

The one thing I really don't get is vegetarian dishes to look and apparently taste like meat? That's meat that isn't meat at all, isn't it?
So how can they call it meat then?
Any thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I think in at some point in the future humans will throw up their hands in horror at the thought of eating meat...

I don't eat meat or fish but I never tried to force my preferences on either of my kids...result being they eat meat but can eat a meal without meat, without looking around on the floor to check it hasn't dropped off their plate.

I think the meat substitutes are for people who do enjoy it but don't want to have an animal raised to then be killed for them to eat.
    I have no problem with anyone eating meat, I just cannot eat it and I wish I could say it was because of some higher moral objection...but it just literally disgusts me, as many types of food does.

I had a very frustrating time once at a local cafe after ordering my usual veggy nuggets, the waitress took delight in telling me they now did a veggie burger...I said no thanks, I don't like meat so I don't want anything that seems like meat...she just kept repeating 'but it's not meat'

Mealtimes for me could sometimes be a problem if the kids were having meat...I could never get past the fact that it seemed like I was carrying out an autopsy as opposed to meal prep...

But how could any of you eat ickle baby lambs!?  :D
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's a personal choice of course but I eat meat 7 days a week.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like meat and eat it often but I also like veggie meals and do have meat free meals at least couple times a week 

I don't think I could ever give it up totally and could certainly never give up fish 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I eat meat but I’m wondering how much of that is a habit I could break if necessary. We are designed to be omnivorous actually which is why we can tolerate eating a wide variety of foods. 

If necessary i think I could give up eating meat, only if necessary though.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like meat but I have to admit @Cress's comment about it being like a dissection does ring to me. I can be easily put off a piece of meat if I come across something like a piece of sinew or something that looks like a nerve - anything that reminds me I am eating an animal. I do like meat most of the time though and eat it often, that said I will happily choose the vegetarian option as well if I feel like it. :)
  • Cress
    Options
    Would anyone here eat the meat grown in laboratories?

It just creeps me out for some reason… :D

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cress must admit it would be odd.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    Options
     Vegetables are what dinner eats! I tried tofu, veg sausages etc - devil invention!  Meat created in the lab is futuristic and the next chapter will be meat pills.  I’ll stick to eating carcasses
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,126 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to be a vegatarian years ago, then went back on to meat, that's why I like all veggy meals, quorn, soya and so forth. I could give meat up again if I wanted to
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is there a third option?

I don't particularly like meat, but the majority of veg, especially high protein veg, doesn't agree with me at all so I'm kind of stuck with it, trying not to think about where it's come from!
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Options
    I am a pescatarian, as I do occasionally eat fish.. 
    (mostly with chips, on holiday! ?)

I gave up eating meat almost two years ago, a personal choice as I love animals and it felt the natural thing for me to do (albeit a late decision at 50!)
    Luckily, I love all vegetables so it it isn't an issue for me. 

I cook meat for my family, but keep processed meat off the table if I can..(they all love a bacon sarnie tho') 

Not very healthy I know, but have any of you tried a vegan magnum?
    Oh boy, they are soo good!
    ??

• Cress
    Options
    Does anyone know of a vegan egg substitute?
    I quite fancy trying pancokes or quiche but can't face a real egg.
    Oddly or maybe not, I'll happily eat cakes and Yorkshire puddings cause I don't have to face egginess in its true form...I'm fricken weird I know... :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pancakes don't really have the taste or texture of egg...they're basically flat Yorkshires! 

Quiche can be eggy though...good source of protein & calories so I try to have one a week, but if it smells or tastes too eggy I can't eat it.   :D
  • Luna51
    Options
    @Cress
    Not weird.. Who doesn't love cake and yorkies? ?

I have heard of aquafaba, I know some people use to make meringues, it's essentially chickpea water whisked into a foam.
    Not sure if it's stable enough for quiches or pancakes though.. 
  • Cress
    Options
    @Luna51
    Thanks for that  :)
    I'll give it a Google...
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cress you can buy powderd egg or you can buy ready made pancakes just heat them up in the microwave or oven I love them 
  • Cress
    Options
    Ooh I like the sound of powdered egg...I think I could cope with that..
    Thanks @lisathomas50 :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cress your welcome ☺ 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    @lisathomas50
    I always though powered egg went out with rationing after the war. ?
  • Luna51
    Options
    I saw this in M&S yesterday and thought about this thread. ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.