sdp dwp asking for bank statements! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

sdp dwp asking for bank statements!

Options
pabab22
pabab22 Community member Posts: 49 Connected
hi, my sdp claim to date has taken 8 months I supplied a tenancy agreement, which at the time they said was all they needed, now they are asking for bank statements for payment to my landlady which is fine as I can provide them, i just wondered is it usual for it to take this long and ask for the bank statements, also cab advised me to make a complaint about taking so long which I did, hopefully, this will speed things up, it seems to be one thing after another any replies would be great thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

I note from a previous thread that you live with your father. To be entitled to the SDP you must live alone or be classed as living alone. If you live with other non dependants they must also be claiming a qualify disability benefit or be registered blind.

Did the tenancy agreement you supplied have both your names on it? I would think the reason they're asking for bank statements is because it's not a straight forward case.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I note from a previous thread that you live with your father. To be entitled to the SDP you must live alone or be classed as living alone. If you live with other non dependants they must also be claiming a qualify disability benefit or be registered blind.
    Which was what was advised and acknowledged by OP in January in the previous thread
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/76356/am-i-entitled-sdp#latest
    In that thread it appeared that OP and father were renting a house together as joint tenants and sharing the rent.

But then in this thread
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/81838/becoming-self-employed-and-coming-off-benefits#latest
    OP said that he and and dad were separately renting rooms in a house rather than being joint tenants. In those circumstances OP could qualify for SDP depending on the details and living arrangements.

That was explored further in this thread
    https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/81306/am-i-entitled-to-housing-benefit#latest
    in which OP clarified that he and father are lodgers in the same house which is also occupied by their landlady. In these circumstances OP should qualify for SDP.

It is no doubt needing to be clear about the living arrangements that is delaying the decision. Not clear how bank statements will help, but if they have been asked for OP will need to provide them.

I am puzzled that OP is saying the SDP claim has taken 8 months as the last thread referred to above in which i advised OP could qualify for SDP was in July.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pabab22
    Options
    hi @calcotti what i forgot to mention is I first made my claim in January it was only till when i spoke to you that i knew i was entitled, i rang DWP in late January to be told i was not entitled after filling in the is10 earlier that month, it was only when you gave me advice i knew i could take it further, i rang cab to confirm it and they said i was entitled, i then rang DWP up and they said my case was still open so from January till august is 8 months, they then requested tenancy agreement then bank statements, i have no problem giving the bank statement so will do that, @poppy123456 @calcotti advised me that as me and my dad have separate agreements and have different rooms im entitled to SDP.  so to be clear i have been waiting since January but continued my claim after your advice @calcotti
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    pabab22 said:
    .. i then rang DWP up and they said my case was still open so from January till august is 8 months, ..
    It is possible that DWP put your case to one side when you told them you no longer thought you were entitled in which case the 8 month delay is not down to them.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pabab22
    Options
    @calcotti yes I agree it is possible, ill send the statements and see what happens thank you for your comments. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.