My hearing started to go in 2019. I've been searching for jobs the Deaf are capable of — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My hearing started to go in 2019. I've been searching for jobs the Deaf are capable of

Options
AZF
AZF Community member Posts: 36 Connected
edited September 2021 in Sensory impairments
Hello!
Well since 2019 my hearing started going. Not to worry. I'll sort it in the New Year. That New Year happened to 2020. And we saw how that went.
"Our records indicate your hearing improved in sunnier weather." Genuine response from my GP! 
So now it's 2021. Things didn't improve in sunnier weather. Good days of hearing. Bad days of hearing. I found this website after searching for jobs the Deaf are capable of. I'm not stone deaf. But I'd rather not squander what's left in a call centre or factory (which I have worked at).
A lot of other avenues closed off due to not having the right qualifications etc.
So may as well make an account here. Oh you want more personal details?
Male and 46. Can't drive (although the dizzy spells have seemed to have stopped) and if I can't find something here, that's on me.
Based on the Wirral. Only intend to relocate when the waves crash over the estate I'm on. So 2030, 2050 probably.
Long introduction? Well I write a bit. Do I need to be here? Well you tell me. I need an assessment. If things aren't as bad as feared then nice knowing you. 
But if things are as bad. Well hello.
I do have a CV. But as it's got my address on, best to not share just yet.
It's funny, in most conversations I'm the quiet one. Give me a blank form and you get stuff like this.
Glad to be here. 
P.S. Name does begin with A, but I may as well revive my old high score three letter "signature" from the 1980's Arcades.
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AZF - & welcome to this online community. Thank you for joining, & for introducing yourself. You must let us know of any other gems your GP comes out with....& the medical reason for your hearing improving in sunnier weather was?
    Have you looked at the Employment support here on Scope? If not, here's a link to them: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/      
    We've had members say how helpful the  'Support to Work' programme has been, so definitely worth a look. Also have a look through the sections here: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/    Hope some of this helps, & good to see you around the forum already. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community from me too @AZF :) Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself and the problems you're facing at the moment. 

I'd second chiarieds' advice to check out our employment services. If you have any questions about the services, please don't hesitate to let us know.

We don't allow personal details to be posted here on the community, so it'd be best not to post your CV. This is for the safety of yourself and others. 

You're more than welcome to post here about anything that interests you, or join in with some pre-existing discussions. I've moved your post into our visual and hearing impairments category, but you can view our full list of categories here. A good place to start is our list of the most recent discussions. I can see you've already started joining in with some games in the coffee lounge, which is great to see!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • AZF
    Options
    Hello been a while since last posted. Still not closer to getting it looked at. And with "wintery showers and temperatures" forecast for middle of the month. Looking forward to the fun.
    Also become a bit more hirsute since profile photo taken.
    But safe and well. And good humoured. Will attempt to post more but it's knowing what to say.
    Thank you for allowing me to post here.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome to post about anything you'd like, really @AZF :) I'm glad that you're safe and well. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • AZF
    Options
    Well I've managed to get a hearing appointment for the 6th of December. It either cures or takes me to the next "level" of what's wrong. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    AZF said:
    Well I've managed to get a hearing appointment for the 6th of December. It either cures or takes me to the next "level" of what's wrong. 
    Good to hear you got the appointment, let us know how you get on!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @AZF

Good luck from me too! Please let us know how you get on  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AZF really glad to know you've got a date fixed for your hearing appointment! All the best for it :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.