Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
Hello all, I’m Sarah
I’ve just joined and I’m really looking forward to finding support and connections within the disabled community. I have CES (Cauda Equina syndrome) which left me with nerve damage in my right leg as well as other complications after emergency surgery in 2017 to remove a herniated disc that was crushing the nervous system at the base of my spine (the Cauda equina) which controls everything from your waist down. I have also got severe bilateral osteo arthritis. most days I am in chronic pain and my mobility is limited. From the outside I look absolutely fine and nobody would know the horrors within. It took me a while to accept that I have a disability, it is a grieving process and also a humiliating one, depending on others at times.
I am a single mum to a teenage boy who is great most of the time, but I know he hates what this has done to me and wishes he could have his energetic bouncy mum back.
There is a lot of change going on in my life and I hope to steer through it with the help from some of you guys. Xx
- 48.3K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.9K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 616 Work and employment
- 515 Education
- 936 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 904 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 236 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 576 Chronic pain and pain management
- 635 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 688 Autism and neurodiversity
- 817 Mental health and wellbeing
- 283 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.