Hello all, I’m Sarah — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello all, I’m Sarah

Options
MadeInTheUK
MadeInTheUK Community member Posts: 20 Connected
I’ve just joined and I’m really looking forward to finding support and connections within the disabled community. I have CES (Cauda Equina syndrome) which left me with nerve damage in my right leg as well as other complications after emergency surgery in 2017 to remove a herniated disc that was crushing the nervous system at the base of my spine (the Cauda equina) which controls everything from your waist down. I have also got severe bilateral  osteo arthritis. most days I am in chronic pain and my mobility is limited. From the outside I look absolutely fine and nobody would know the horrors within. It took me a while to accept that I have a disability, it is a grieving process and also a humiliating one, depending on others at times. 

I am a single mum to a teenage boy who is great most of the time, but I know he hates what this has done to me and wishes he could have his energetic bouncy mum back. 

There is a lot of change going on in my life and I hope to steer through it with the help from some of you guys. Xx

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @MadeInTheUK :) It's been good to see you get stuck straight in to some discussions! I can also see that you've connected with @Daniel_2021, who also has CES, which is great. 

We've heard many disabled people compare that feeling to the grieving process, so you're certainly not alone in feeling that way. 

Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your chronic pain and mobility issues at the moment? As you may have seen, we have categories dedicated to discussions relating to both chronic pain and mobility.

I'm sure that you're still a wonderful mum :) 

Please reach out to us whenever you need!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Glad you are joining in

I am in similar situation in that I am disabled single mum to teenager son who 4 years ago saw me become disabled overnight and no longer able to work or drive and wheelchair bound . He has dealt with it amazingly and has been my rock 

Hope you enjoy your time here 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MadeInTheUK - & welcome to the community from me also. It's a great coincidence that Daniel, who also has CES, joined just before yourself. As Tori says, it's good that you've got in touch with him, tho I'm sorry you've both suffered as a consequence of having CES.
    Everyone here is both friendly & supportive, so do use this forum to chat at any time. It's very nice to 'meet' you, & I hope you enjoy being part of this group. :)
  • MadeInTheUK
    Options

Welcome to the community @MadeInTheUK :) It's been good to see you get stuck straight in to some discussions! I can also see that you've connected with @Daniel_2021, who also has CES, which is great. 

We've heard many disabled people compare that feeling to the grieving process, so you're certainly not alone in feeling that way. 

Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your chronic pain and mobility issues at the moment? As you may have seen, we have categories dedicated to discussions relating to both chronic pain and mobility.

I'm sure that you're still a wonderful mum :) 

Please reach out to us whenever you need!
    Thank you so much, I’m really looking forward to reading through the site and unfortunately I don’t have much support so I think this group will be really beneficial for me. I will definitely read the categories you mention. The first thing I saw when I joined was Daniel’s post which was such a coincidence. I have lots of questions having been recently diagnosed with the osteoarthritis and it looks like this is definitely the right place to ask them. It was such a relief to receive the reassurance from my previous question. X 
  • MadeInTheUK
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Glad you are joining in

I am in similar situation in that I am disabled single mum to teenager son who 4 years ago saw me become disabled overnight and no longer able to work or drive and wheelchair bound . He has dealt with it amazingly and has been my rock 

Hope you enjoy your time here 
    Thank you. I would be lost without my son. Yours sounds wonderful and it a lot for them to cope with, but we are lucky to have them x
  • MadeInTheUK
    Options
    Thank you @chiarieds. It’s nice to meet you too. I’m looking forward to getting to know you all ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry that you don't have a lot of support @MadeInTheUK, but I'm sure you'll find our members to be friendly and supportive :) I look forward to seeing you around!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness