ESA permitted work question — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

ESA permitted work question

Jax1928
Jax1928 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,

I'm thinking about trying to do permitted work (I'm currently in the ESA WRAG because of autism and ADHD).

I can't get through to Citizen's advice to get any advice (ha!), so I'm wondering if anyone here knows.

I'm anxious about telling DWP I want to start permitted work as I'm worried that they'll stop my benefits or move me across to UC and the idea of jumping through all the hoops is making me really, really anxious. I know this is not how permitted work is supposed to work, but I'm also incredibly cagey having been on the receiving end of DWP shenanigans more than once.

The work is just some home based computer stuff for 14 hours per week spread out a couple of hours at a time.

Does anyone know what happens when you send the form off to DWP?
Tagged:

Comments

• Jax1928
    Jax1928 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi,

I accidentally posted this in the welcomes section, so am moving it across here.

I'm thinking about trying to do permitted work (I'm currently in the ESA WRAG because of autism and ADHD).

I can't get through to Citizen's advice to get any advice (ha!), so I'm wondering if anyone here knows.

I'm anxious about telling DWP I want to start permitted work as I'm worried that they'll stop my benefits or move me across to UC and the idea of jumping through all the hoops is making me really, really anxious. I know this is not how permitted work is supposed to work, but I'm also incredibly cagey having been on the receiving end of DWP shenanigans more than once.

The work is just some home based computer stuff for 14 hours per week spread out a couple of hours at a time.

Does anyone know what happens when you send the form off to DWP?

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 352 Pioneering
    Hi @Jax1928

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see that you have joined us. Sorry to hear that you were unable to get through to Citizen's advice, did you try their telephone number and online chat? Please also remember Scope has a helpline if you would prefer more 1-1 advice. However, hopefully, we can support you here on Scope's forum. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise and I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area could also respond. However, the Government (https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/working-while-you-claim) state that "you can usually work while you are claiming ESA if both of the following apply: you work less than 16 hours a week and you do not earn more than £143 a week". Following on from this, they also state that once you send the form off to the Jobcentre Plus, they will tell you if the work you want to do meets the permitted work conditions (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form). I hope this helps! Please feel free to let us know if you have any follow-up questions or need clarity about anything  :)
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 352 Pioneering
    Hi @Jax1928

Please do not worry about where you placed your post. In your case, it was your first post so it is fine that you posted it in the welcomes and introductions section. Plus, it is always okay, it just means one of us may need to move it across as you did  :D
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.