Long term sick and ns-esa — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Long term sick and ns-esa

Stacy87 Member Posts: 12 Listener

Could anyone help me with the below?

I'm currently on long-term sick from work and receiving UC LCWRA. My SSP ends next week and I have applied for NS-ESA.

Will my ESA be paid from DWP directly or from my employer like SSP? 

Once I receive ESA will I need to continue sending sick notes to work?

I have asked my employer multiple times however she doesn't know.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,779 Disability Gamechanger

    To claim NsESA you need to have paid the correct amount of NI contirbutions from working in tax years April 2018 to March 2020.
    I note from a previous thread of yours that you currently claim Universal Credit. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/80856/when-will-i-start-receiving-lcwra-payment#latest
    When you claim both of the these together the ESA is deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. If you've paid the correct NI contributions then it would be worth claiming the ESA because it's not means tested like UC. So if you live with a partner then their earnings don't affect the amount you're entitled to. Savings/capital do not affect the amount you can claim either.
    It also pays class 1 NI credits where as UC pays class 3.

  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,005 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2
    ns-ESA is paid by DWP.

    Whether or not your employer wants you to continue to supply Fit notes is up to them. If you wish to remain employed most employers would require you to do so.

    Note that, unlike, UC, ns-ESA is taxable income so if, with the ns-ESA, your annual income is over the tax free threshold you will owe tax on the ns-ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,779 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wanted to add that when i answered the question there was a lot less detail. I note the question was edited after i had answered the question, which makes it look like i didn't really answer the question that was asked.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.