Long term sick and ns-esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Long term sick and ns-esa

Stacy87
Stacy87 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi

Could anyone help me with the below?

I'm currently on long-term sick from work and receiving UC LCWRA. My SSP ends next week and I have applied for NS-ESA.

Will my ESA be paid from DWP directly or from my employer like SSP? 

Once I receive ESA will I need to continue sending sick notes to work?

I have asked my employer multiple times however she doesn't know.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To claim NsESA you need to have paid the correct amount of NI contirbutions from working in tax years April 2018 to March 2020.
    I note from a previous thread of yours that you currently claim Universal Credit. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/80856/when-will-i-start-receiving-lcwra-payment#latest
    When you claim both of the these together the ESA is deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. If you've paid the correct NI contributions then it would be worth claiming the ESA because it's not means tested like UC. So if you live with a partner then their earnings don't affect the amount you're entitled to. Savings/capital do not affect the amount you can claim either.
    It also pays class 1 NI credits where as UC pays class 3.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    ns-ESA is paid by DWP.

Whether or not your employer wants you to continue to supply Fit notes is up to them. If you wish to remain employed most employers would require you to do so.

Note that, unlike, UC, ns-ESA is taxable income so if, with the ns-ESA, your annual income is over the tax free threshold you will owe tax on the ns-ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wanted to add that when i answered the question there was a lot less detail. I note the question was edited after i had answered the question, which makes it look like i didn't really answer the question that was asked.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.