Hi, my name is sang! — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is sang!

sang Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am a brother to a disability person in the Gambia and he is fighting his right for my parents to send him to school but my parents are very poor to support him. He complained each day and sometimes refused to each so I don't know what to do till I'm introduced to this platform. Sorry is it possible to get support from anyone to him attain his education right?


  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 4,955

    Scope community team

    Hello @sang and welcome to the community, sorry to hear of the difficulty your brother is facing. 

    I am unsure what the conditions are in that country, and this is primarily a UK based platform so I am not sure what we would be able to do exactly. 

    Are there any charities or other organisations in the Gambia that support disabled people? Could you contact one of those?
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 312 Pioneering
    edited October 6
    Hi @sang

    Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Unfortunately, as @Ross_Scope said, we only primarily operate in the UK. However, there will be support available. From my limited knowledge about global education, UNICEF has some great resources about education in Gambia. If you are interested, you could find them at https://www.unicef.org/gambia/education. Depending on your brother's disability, there may also be charities and NGO's related specifically to his disability. You would be able to find these by Googling something such as "X Gambia". I hope this helps  :)
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • Alex1970
    Alex1970 Member Posts: 21 Connected
    Hi, maybe Oxfam can help in some way? They do a lot for education in other countries. https://www.oxfam.org/en


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.