New 888 Service — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

New 888 Service

Comments

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,508 Disability Gamechanger
    A sort of vaguely interesting idea which deals with the symptoms not the cause and which has been nicely timed just as there are discussions about the further break up of the organisation suggesting it. 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Its a good idea, but doesn't really address the issue.  Why should womens movements be tracked because of the actions of others?  Also, tracking the journey home and alerting when someone is late, just smacks of evidence gathering and we use cctv for that.

There's also the issue of using your phone when out and about, doesn't that just encourage muggers?

Nice idea, but I think that they need to go back to the drawing board.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,323 Disability Gamechanger
    If Priti Patel thinks its a good idea then I have my doubts, there was a notice on facebook last week from our county fire service saying that their  was always someone on the premises 24/7 and if someone felt frightened or they were lost then they should knock on the door.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • mikehughescq
    Amongst many other sentences you never think you’ll be writing… let’s praise Priti for being the only one of them who thought the borders should have been shut in March 2020. It’s estimated it would have cut our current issues by around 75% but what do scientists know eh. Being an island. One of the few advantages we had re: Covid. Totally thrown away.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Member Posts: 238 Courageous
    So women have to call a special number if we feel unsafe outdoors? We have to have our movements tracked because offenders can't control themselves? What about the danger of using your phone in the street? Also, the abusers are often in the victims own homes. There was a time when we could call 999 when in danger...
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,813 Pioneering
    edited October 9
    *have* doesn’t come into it, it’s your choice if you use any service that happens to be set up. 

However, it’s not just for woman, it’s for anyone. 
  • mikehughescq
    MarkN88 said:
    *have* doesn’t come into it, it’s your choice if you use any service that happens to be set up. 

However, it’s not just for woman, it’s for anyone. 
    And those are other reasons why it will be an issue. 

- The idiots who dial 999 without reason will simply have something else to mess with. 

- women who don’t exercise the choice will soon find themselves on the end of some victim blaming starting with “… but why didn’t you…”?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.