Halloween — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Halloween

Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,981 Pioneering
Do any of you celebrate Halloween? Or  put decs up and stock up for trick or treaters? Or do you detest it?  
I'm doing a family party this year for grandkids mainly, so will put decs up and do a buffet. Have a little disco in lounge. Also will get treats for kids knocking on the door. Just a little fun. 

Comments

• Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    I do get treats for trick or treaters but do not celebrate Halloween. Enjoy your family party.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,924 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be Daisy's first halloween so hoping to do a little something, I'm really stuck on what outfit to get her though!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,803 Pioneering
    edited October 9
    Not anymore. I used to enjoy it as a child and then grew out of it as a teenager. Although when I was at university and in my early 20s I always enjoyed attending the organised halloween parties but to be fair that was for the alcohol and getting drunk aspect with friends, not halloween itself. I also used to enjoy getting involved when I worked in retail and dressing up. 
  • Sandy_123
    @Ami2301 some nice outfits in asda and home bargains. 
    @MarkN88 they are doing some fab Halloween party's in the pubs near me, if I didn't say I'd do a get together I'd go to 1. 
    @Teddybear12 thanks I'm doing my 🧙‍♀️ costume, again.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,472 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s an American thing and of no relevance here. I take great pleasure in doing nothing nowadays. I find the sense of expectation from parents and older children accompanying younger kids to be overbearing and arrogant. 

One year someone egged our door and kicked at it sufficiently to do permanent damage. That was in response to my suggesting that perhaps their children taking six sweets instead of one when they were knocking on about 300 doors was absolutely selfish and would deny other younger children coming to our door. I had video evidence and prosecuted for the damage. They were cautioned for criminal damage; spent ages trying to bad mouth us to the rest of the estate and got warned for that too. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,285 Disability Gamechanger
    Luckily in the ten years we have lived here we have never had a single trick or treater, when i was a kid (many summers ago ) we hadn't heard of halloween we had bonfire night and all that went with it.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,242 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree @woodbine, I used to enjoy bonfire night and baked potatoes, it was the only time we ever had them.
  • mikehughescq
    Bonfire night, done properly, is lovely.
  • Sandy_123
    @mikehughescqIt’s an American thing and of no relevance here. I take great pleasure in doing nothing nowadays.
    It actually started in the UK and was took to USA from Irish immigrants fleaing the potatoe famine to USA  in 1840.  The 1st time it was celebrated in USA.
    In the United States, the first official citywide Halloween celebration occurred in Anoka, Minnesota, in 1921

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,779 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to go trick or treating when i was a child but it was fun back then. Children these days expect several sweets, rather than just one. When they knock at the door and say "trick or treat" reply with "trick" they look at you as if you horns in your head lol.

No plans here. My grandson is still too small. I took him into a shop a few days ago and there was halloween things in there.. skeletons, clowns, witches..etc. He stood there looking and wouldn't move, then he looked at me and and cried saying no, nanna. Scared to death bless him.
  • mikehughescq
    Strictly speaking no-one knows where Halloween itself originated. It’s believed to have started somewhere in the Celtic speaking countries but it’s not clear cut. However, what I meant was that Halloween as it’s “celebrated: now is an American thing, which it is.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Member Posts: 548 Pioneering
        I use to like it when I first moved into my house, some 30 years ago. Our block had quite a few young children and all got dressed up and came knocking ( parents stood on their doorsteps watching said youngsters ). Each child got a small amount of treats and a handshake from our whippet who insisted on answering the door with me. It was fun and we seldom got a stranger knocking. No youngsters now, don't even know who lives on the block as they don't even say hello anymore.  :|
       The whippet use to like going to the bonfire in the back alley as well and was the only dog I knew that wasn't scared of fireworks  :/
  • Sandy_123
    Its widely celebrated more in USA and Canada then UK 
    However there are still celebrations here but not on same scale.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Member Posts: 234 Courageous
    🎃I'll put out some sweets for any trick or treaters, but that's about it for me.🎃
  • Sandy_123
    I use to love it as a child  and did fun things with my children for Halloween. Now grandkids are here and I'm doing same with them. Went to an adults Halloween party few years ago, that was really good. I do worry about offending my Christian neighbours because it's frowned upon religiously. 
  • mikehughescq
    This nails much of it for me. Christmas, Halloween etc.

https://youtu.be/7vggo_9EDZU
  • pinkpather
    pinkpather Member Posts: 8 Listener
    I love it, we never had trick or treaters come to our place, or my children do it, as lived in the middle of no where, but we did go away with the caravan to this place in the new forest area. We went in the school holidays, and there were lots of games and Homemade Halloween outfit competitions, pumpkin carving on the dance floor (very slimy and smelly), the children enjoyed it so much I think we went four years in total
  • fahmida45
    fahmida45 Member Posts: 18 Connected
    Don’t celebrate Halloween and love the spirit of Halloween. 

Halloween Movies and Food are great thing for me to do with family.
  • Sandy_123
    @vikingqueen we used to have whippets growing up, nice dogs. @fahmida45 films are good. 
  • fahmida45
    @Sandy_123

I agree with you and seem that you will have wonderful Halloween this year.
  • Sandy_123
    @fahmida45 I'm mainly doing it for the grandkids, a few kids halloween decs to go up and balloons. A little disco in lounge for them and a buffet. Not going trick or treating, instead they can see to the kids who knock. 
  • fahmida45
    @Sandy_123

Sounds fun for your grandkids and gets them into the Halloween spirit.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,270 Disability Gamechanger
    Didn't do too much as a child but have done with my child 

Dressing up,  going trick treating and then hot dogs and baked potato and soup after to warm up 

Used to live on a crescent so just went to all houses lit up and most had kids at same schools 

Since moving not had single trick treater in 3 years 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • Sandy_123
    I get loads here, they usually stop about 7ish as there All little kids. I don't entertain anyone who knocks before Halloween. 
  • Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 937 Pioneering
    Haven't had any trick or treaters for years but only ever got surly teenagers who more or less demanded money with menace..I stopped answering the door.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,285 Disability Gamechanger
    they seem to make more and more of it here, 8 year old grandson has a party at school, party at cubs and will go trick or treating (with his mum of course), no doubt he will expect pops to add to his collection !
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • leeCal
    edited October 19
    So, to ask a dumb question, with trick or treat who does the trick, me as the householder? And what counts as a trick, pick a card ...any card?  🤔 or are we talking David Blaine type stuff? I’m not good with pyrotechnics. Am I overthinking this?
  • chloeknight16071992
    chloeknight16071992 Member Posts: 178 Courageous
    I love celebrating Halloween but to be honest with you I never attended a Halloween party in my life. I used to go trick or treat when I was a kid. I'm sure everyone is like that. 
  • Sandy_123
    @leeCal it's the person asking who does the trick, if you don't give a treat then you get a trick, I'm not sure what as I've always given treats. 
  • Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 937 Pioneering
    Usually throw an egg at your windows....no imagination...lol
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,643 Disability Gamechanger
    Throwing eggs, toilet rolls, silly string, pumpkins...  If you don't give them the treat they're demanding, they're apparently allowed to deface your property...  :/
  • leeCal
    they're apparently allowed to deface your property... 
    That might be an improvement actually 🤣
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 4,955

Scope community team

I like Halloween, but I find that kids don't do trick or treating as much these days, when I was younger the streets used to be packed with people going around the neighbourhood, but in the few years before the pandemic there were nowhere near as many.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.