Halloween — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Halloween

Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
Do any of you celebrate Halloween? Or  put decs up and stock up for trick or treaters? Or do you detest it?  
I'm doing a family party this year for grandkids mainly, so will put decs up and do a buffet. Have a little disco in lounge. Also will get treats for kids knocking on the door. Just a little fun. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be Daisy's first halloween so hoping to do a little something, I'm really stuck on what outfit to get her though!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited October 2021
    Not anymore. I used to enjoy it as a child and then grew out of it as a teenager. Although when I was at university and in my early 20s I always enjoyed attending the organised halloween parties but to be fair that was for the alcohol and getting drunk aspect with friends, not halloween itself. I also used to enjoy getting involved when I worked in retail and dressing up. 
  • Sandy_123
    @Ami2301 some nice outfits in asda and home bargains. 
    @MarkN88 they are doing some fab Halloween party's in the pubs near me, if I didn't say I'd do a get together I'd go to 1. 
    @Teddybear12 thanks I'm doing my ?‍♀️ costume, again.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Luckily in the ten years we have lived here we have never had a single trick or treater, when i was a kid (many summers ago ) we hadn't heard of halloween we had bonfire night and all that went with it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree @woodbine, I used to enjoy bonfire night and baked potatoes, it was the only time we ever had them.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    @Username_removedIt’s an American thing and of no relevance here. I take great pleasure in doing nothing nowadays.
    It actually started in the UK and was took to USA from Irish immigrants fleaing the potatoe famine to USA  in 1840.  The 1st time it was celebrated in USA.
    In the United States, the first official citywide Halloween celebration occurred in Anoka, Minnesota, in 1921

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to go trick or treating when i was a child but it was fun back then. Children these days expect several sweets, rather than just one. When they knock at the door and say "trick or treat" reply with "trick" they look at you as if you horns in your head lol.

No plans here. My grandson is still too small. I took him into a shop a few days ago and there was halloween things in there.. skeletons, clowns, witches..etc. He stood there looking and wouldn't move, then he looked at me and and cried saying no, nanna. Scared to death bless him.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
        I use to like it when I first moved into my house, some 30 years ago. Our block had quite a few young children and all got dressed up and came knocking ( parents stood on their doorsteps watching said youngsters ). Each child got a small amount of treats and a handshake from our whippet who insisted on answering the door with me. It was fun and we seldom got a stranger knocking. No youngsters now, don't even know who lives on the block as they don't even say hello anymore.  :|
       The whippet use to like going to the bonfire in the back alley as well and was the only dog I knew that wasn't scared of fireworks  :/
  • Sandy_123
    Its widely celebrated more in USA and Canada then UK 
    However there are still celebrations here but not on same scale.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    ?I'll put out some sweets for any trick or treaters, but that's about it for me.?
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • Sandy_123
    I use to love it as a child  and did fun things with my children for Halloween. Now grandkids are here and I'm doing same with them. Went to an adults Halloween party few years ago, that was really good. I do worry about offending my Christian neighbours because it's frowned upon religiously. 
  • pinkpather
    pinkpather Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I love it, we never had trick or treaters come to our place, or my children do it, as lived in the middle of no where, but we did go away with the caravan to this place in the new forest area. We went in the school holidays, and there were lots of games and Homemade Halloween outfit competitions, pumpkin carving on the dance floor (very slimy and smelly), the children enjoyed it so much I think we went four years in total
  • fahmida45
    fahmida45 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Don’t celebrate Halloween and love the spirit of Halloween. 

Halloween Movies and Food are great thing for me to do with family.
  • Sandy_123
    @vikingqueen we used to have whippets growing up, nice dogs. @fahmida45 films are good. 
  • fahmida45
    @Sandy_123

I agree with you and seem that you will have wonderful Halloween this year.
  • Sandy_123
    @fahmida45 I'm mainly doing it for the grandkids, a few kids halloween decs to go up and balloons. A little disco in lounge for them and a buffet. Not going trick or treating, instead they can see to the kids who knock. 
  • fahmida45
    @Sandy_123

Sounds fun for your grandkids and gets them into the Halloween spirit.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Didn't do too much as a child but have done with my child 

Dressing up,  going trick treating and then hot dogs and baked potato and soup after to warm up 

Used to live on a crescent so just went to all houses lit up and most had kids at same schools 

Since moving not had single trick treater in 3 years 
  • Sandy_123
    I get loads here, they usually stop about 7ish as there All little kids. I don't entertain anyone who knocks before Halloween. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Haven't had any trick or treaters for years but only ever got surly teenagers who more or less demanded money with menace..I stopped answering the door.

Brightness