do you have down days with your disability? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

do you have down days with your disability?

ellieflower3
ellieflower3 Member Posts: 171 Courageous
no judgement just a question because I do and want to connect with as many as possible to help and get stuck in!
Lilly Josh  <3

do you have down days with your disability? 12 votes

yes
91%
aboorawoodbinelittleacornnatz2009nannymaroonAmi_HostL_Volunteerstrawberrysherbet11sand74GlenCornhillellieflower3 11 votes
no
0%
sometimes
8%
66Mustang 1 vote
depends when I wake up
0%

Comments

• ellieflower3
    yes
    thank you @Ami_Host for voting so lovely <3
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • Ami_Host
    Ami_Host Community Volunteer Host Posts: 52 Connected
    yes
    Absolutely, I think it's normal to have days where we become so frustrated because of our limitations. It's difficult to manage your feelings about it when you're having a bad day with them, but that's ok :)
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    Ami_Host said:
    Absolutely, I think it's normal to have days where we become so frustrated because of our limitations. It's difficult to manage your feelings about it when you're having a bad day with them, but that's ok :)
    going to like your post as it's bang on correct! I find it hard to connect with others when I feel so yucky but I'm getting there
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 286 Pioneering
    yes
    Hello @ellieflower3

Yes, I certainly think some days are better or worse than other days. How are you currently? It is great to see you getting involved with so much on the forum already  :D
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    Hello @ellieflower3

Yes, I certainly think some days are better or worse than other days. How are you currently? It is great to see you getting involved with so much on the forum already  :D
    I love it! just getting the hang on things :) I'm okay, finished work today as I can't move etc but least I can still feed Teddy. How are you?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • L_Volunteer
    yes
    Hi @ellieflower3

I notice a really important thing about your post! That is you are able to recognise when you are struggling and put support in place for yourself. Well done. I hope you can get the rest you need. I am okay thank you  :)
    I have expertise in the following subjects, gained through professional settings such as high level education or employment: autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia, down's syndrome, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, assistive technology and education. Pronouns: She/her.
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    Hi @ellieflower3

I notice a really important thing about your post! That is you are able to recognise when you are struggling and put support in place for yourself. Well done. I hope you can get the rest you need. I am okay thank you  :)
    :) Just glad to support others
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • L_Volunteer
    yes
    I can tell that you enjoy supporting others @ellieflower3. It is great, the world always benefits from people helping people. However, please know we are also here for you if you need support :)
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    I can tell that you enjoy supporting others @ellieflower3. It is great, the world always benefits from people helping people. However, please know we are also here for you if you need support :)
    your very pretty also btw and thnak you
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • L_Volunteer
    yes
    Thanks @ellieflower3 :)
  • ellieflower3
    yes
     :) 
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    just to add hope your having a nice day
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,520 Disability Gamechanger
    sometimes
    I don’t have a physical disability but I do have limitations due to my mental health problems. I sometimes feel sad that I can’t do things, more often than not it’s little things that others take for granted rather than the big things. I mean I wanted to be a pilot but have come to terms with the fact that that will not happen, but I’d call that a big thing. It is more the little things like jumping in the car and going to the shops or being able to spend a day alone at home without support that I will never accept that I can’t do. However I try to use this lack of acceptance as fuel to fight the issues and find support and hopefully get better in the future.

I hope this rambling makes sense!
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    66Mustang said:
    I don’t have a physical disability but I do have limitations due to my mental health problems. I sometimes feel sad that I can’t do things, more often than not it’s little things that others take for granted rather than the big things. I mean I wanted to be a pilot but have come to terms with the fact that that will not happen, but I’d call that a big thing. It is more the little things like jumping in the car and going to the shops or being able to spend a day alone at home without support that I will never accept that I can’t do. However I try to use this lack of acceptance as fuel to fight the issues and find support and hopefully get better in the future.

sending you hugs. it's still classed a disability :) but I can't get out of bed due to a broken back so is that a disability?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • 66Mustang
    sometimes
    66Mustang said:

sending you hugs. it's still classed a disability :) but I can't get out of bed due to a broken back so is that a disability?

I don’t really know the official definition of a disability but I’m quite sure that would count. I’m sorry to hear you are in that situation, though, I’m glad you joined this forum, I think you will find it really helpful and supportive.
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

I don’t really know the official definition of a disability but I’m quite sure that would count. I’m sorry to hear you are in that situation, though, I’m glad you joined this forum, I think you will find it really helpful and supportive.
    I made a mental health thread saying why I am here! and, how are you doing today?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • 66Mustang
    sometimes
    @ellieflower3 I will take a look at that thread

I am not too bad today, thanks, I am meant to be doing some study :D but just taking a short break to come on here for a bit. What about you?
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    66Mustang said:
    @ellieflower3 I will take a look at that thread

I am not too bad today, thanks, I am meant to be doing some study :D but just taking a short break to come on here for a bit. What about you?
    tired chilling with this little dude 
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • 66Mustang
    sometimes
    Nice :) he looks comfortable there hehe
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    66Mustang said:
    Nice :) he looks comfortable there hehe
    he is on my feet lol
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • strawberrysherbet11
    strawberrysherbet11 Member Posts: 38 Connected
    yes
    I definitely have down days, both mentally and physically. Especially in a pain flare or where I don’t have a lot of energy, I just get so fed up. The past few days I’ve been struggling a bit mentally, so just been in bed watching TV mostly. I just always try to take it easy when I’m like this :) 
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    I definitely have down days, both mentally and physically. Especially in a pain flare or where I don’t have a lot of energy, I just get so fed up. The past few days I’ve been struggling a bit mentally, so just been in bed watching TV mostly. I just always try to take it easy when I’m like this :) 
    im in bed but down today :) you okay?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • strawberrysherbet11
    strawberrysherbet11 Member Posts: 38 Connected
    yes
    @ellieflower3 I’m struggling a little bit but not too bad at the moment, thank you. How about you? :)
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    @ellieflower3 I’m struggling a little bit but not too bad at the moment, thank you. How about you? :)
    not great :( glad your okay
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ballkeeper
    ballkeeper Member Posts: 80 Pioneering
    not just days but weeks then a day when not so bad
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    yeah i agree
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    u ok
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ballkeeper
    ballkeeper Member Posts: 80 Pioneering
    yup today a good day ,find listening to music.
    thank you for asking,
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    thank you for asking,
    gd gd
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    thank you for asking,
     :'(<3  
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • GlenCornhill
    GlenCornhill Member Posts: 4 Listener
    yes
    Today has been one, but it’s more an exhaustion day, I already sleep 10-12 hours a day or can’t function properly, last night and today I’ve slept about 18 hours of broken sleep, except to nibble and top up my hot water bottles.

But I prefer to call it a recharge day not a down day. I haven’t been able to even read or enjoy music or watch tv, just want to sleep and be numb. If I feel it’s a negative day then I get in a trap of anxiety and depression rather than giving myself permission to have rest days when I need them. 
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Member Posts: 220 Courageous
    yes
    I do have down days esp when I am in pain. Mostly my down days are caused by having to deal with other people and their behaviour.
    I can cope with isolation and having a chronic illness. But other people's behavior still can upset me.

I can avoid other people but not my pain so I have to to ration my energy if I have appointments or things I have to do. It's very frustrating and like many of us, I have to monitor my mood myself to stop from slipping into depression because of being exhausted and in pain.
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    Today has been one, but it’s more an exhaustion day, I already sleep 10-12 hours a day or can’t function properly, last night and today I’ve slept about 18 hours of broken sleep, except to nibble and top up my hot water bottles.

But I prefer to call it a recharge day not a down day. I haven’t been able to even read or enjoy music or watch tv, just want to sleep and be numb. If I feel it’s a negative day then I get in a trap of anxiety and depression rather than giving myself permission to have rest days when I need them. 
    oh so sorry. hugs
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ellieflower3
    yes
    I do have down days esp when I am in pain. Mostly my down days are caused by having to deal with other people and their behaviour.
    I can cope with isolation and having a chronic illness. But other people's behavior still can upset me.

I can avoid other people but not my pain so I have to to ration my energy if I have appointments or things I have to do. It's very frustrating and like many of us, I have to monitor my mood myself to stop from slipping into depression because of being exhausted and in pain.
    i feel like that today. feel like i cant move a muscle i feel weak
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • natz2009
    natz2009 Member Posts: 73 Connected
    yes
    Yes certainly one of those days today i dont have any social life anymore had 2 friends but got ditched not long after i was dignoised with fibromyalgia now only person that visits is my dad and my ex partner to see the kids also have mental health issues and yeah 90% of the time it gets me down i dont really know anyone where i live so its isolation all the time wouldnt matter about a pandemic hope everyone is doing ok x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,974

Scope community team

I'm sorry to hear that @natz2009. I hope that the community can be a good source of support for you, and keep you company if you feel a bit lonely :) 

Have you considered joining any social groups in your area?
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.