Are you feeling okay today? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you feeling okay today?

Options

Comments

• Rosie2x
    Rosie2x Posts: 105 Connected
    Options
    Maybe
    Rosie2x said:
    Lmao♡ your awesome!! And, yes I have! 
    This is great news, @Rosie2x :) I hope they've been able to reassure you and let you know that you'll be in great hands!
    Aw!!!♡hugs
  • SparklySue
    SparklySue Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Um I am struggling
    Hi @Libby_Scope , thank you for your kind words.  I've rung the hospital a number of times as advised by the gp's receptionist but unfortunately I keep getting put on hold.  I've been doing ok until today, when the news of this variant exacerbated anxiety I was burying. It is what it is, I'll start packing and live in hope.  :)  
  • Rosie2x
    Options
    Maybe
    I'm not feeling too good
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi @Rosie2x I'm so sorry to hear about the feelings you've been having lately. How are you feeling now? I just wanted to check that you've got our email offering additional support, please let us know if it hasn't come through.

Remember that if you feel unable to keep yourself safe, please call 999 or visit your local A&E department right away. If you haven't already, I'd definitely encourage you to speak to your GP about how you've been feeling as well, if you can.  

Are you on your own at the moment, or do you have any loved ones around you? Are any of your loved ones aware of how you've been feeling? Perhaps they can help with getting in touch with your doctor if you don't feel able to visit.

I know that we may have signposted you to these resources before, but if you need to you can get support here too: 
    You also mentioned that you were suffering from an injury that was making it difficult for you to move. How is that today? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Rosie2x

I am really glad to hear they have been supportive. How are you feeling today?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SparklySue

Thanks for your response. I am sorry to hear you are struggling to get through to the hospital. Have you managed to get hold of them now? It is understandable that the new variant has made you feel anxious. However, hope is extra powerful right now so hold onto hope  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • SparklySue
    Options
    Um I am struggling
    @L_Volunteer, all good, got the result. It's clear. Thank God!
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    With the cold, wet weather comes pain.  More pain than other days.

Today it has settled in my hips and wrists.  My hip has given way several times today and caused me to stumble.  My physio said it caused by the pain reaching a level where everything just switches itself off and the joint stops supporting me.

The pain in my wrists is having the same effect and I'm dropping things more than usual, struggling to hold stuff and can't use my hands for long as they go into cramp.  Because of this, I've avoided hot food and drink today, I've also avoided sharp knives.

Tomorrow may be different, but I won't know that until tomorrow.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Amazing news, @SparklySue :) I'm so happy for you and I can imagine that you are so relieved! 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    TheAlien said:

Today it has settled in my hips and wrists.  My hip has given way several times today and caused me to stumble.  My physio said it caused by the pain reaching a level where everything just switches itself off and the joint stops supporting me.

The pain in my wrists is having the same effect and I'm dropping things more than usual, struggling to hold stuff and can't use my hands for long as they go into cramp.  Because of this, I've avoided hot food and drink today, I've also avoided sharp knives.

Hi @TheAlien :)      

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a high pain day today. I can understand how exhausting and debilitating they can be. I really hope the pain starts to ease up soon! Do you have any management strategies to help with your pain? It's great that you're seeing a physio, as they will be able to help you a lot. 

I think that's a wise idea about avoiding hot items and sharp knives. Are you able to have some support whilst cooking meals? 

That is a positive way to view the day. Tomorrow is always a new day, and a fresh start. So, hopefully, it will be a better one for you :) 

If we can help in any other way, please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • SparklySue
    Options
    Um I am struggling
    @TheAlien I had an exhausted day yesterday, spent it in bed, luckily not too painful and today is a whole new day. Rest and be kind to yourself and fingers crossed, tomorrow will be a better day.  I find lots of heat therapy ie hot water bottles or microwavable beanies are wonderful for pain, when you can rest and let it work its magic.  There are some lovely Christmas movies on Netflix (I know this because I watched some yesterday :)) which might help make your day brighter. Sending healing prayers.
  • SparklySue
    Options
    Um I am struggling
    @Libby_Scope thank you, I really am so relieved x

• SparklySue
    Options
    Um I am struggling
    @Teddybear12 thank you.  As you can imagine, I have a spring in my step today.  B)
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    So happy for you! That must be such a relief  :D

• L_Volunteer
    Options
    TheAlien said:

Hi @TheAlien

I am really sorry to hear you are experiencing such a tough time :( I can fully empathise with pain being worse on cold days as it is the same with my fibro. I hope the warmer days come back for you soon. In the meantime, do you know how you can manage your pain levels? I often find a soak in a warm bath or shower to be useful along with hot water bottles and blankets  :)

• L_Volunteer
    Options
    @TheAlien I had an exhausted day yesterday, spent it in bed, luckily not too painful and today is a whole new day. Rest and be kind to yourself and fingers crossed, tomorrow will be a better day.  I find lots of heat therapy ie hot water bottles or microwavable beanies are wonderful for pain, when you can rest and let it work its magic.  There are some lovely Christmas movies on Netflix (I know this because I watched some yesterday :)) which might help make your day brighter. Sending healing prayers.
    Did someone mention Christmas movies?! Which Christmas movie is currently your favourite @SparklySue:)

• TheAlien
    Options
    Thanks @Libby_Scope and @SparklySue, today has been better as the weather is warmer, but I still hurt.

I live alone so I have no help when it comes to cooking, shopping or anything else.

Because of the nature of my disability, I have diaphyseal aclasis, there's little that can be done to ease the pain except waiting for it to subside.  I have multiple osteochrondomas which put pressure on tendons, muscles, blood vessels and nerves, so it depends on what they decide to pick on that day.  Today its the ones in my feet.

My physio has given me elbow crutches which do help, but using them for too long makes the ones in my shoulders and arms hurt.
  • SparklySue
    Options
    Um I am struggling
    Hi @The Alien, I live alone most of the time also, so like yourself, on bad days, I struggle with cooking and shopping.  I'm lucky enough to have family and friends nearby who are very happy to help but I like to be independent.  I had to learn though that it's ok to be vulnerable and on occasion I do ask for help. I've found online shopping a great help and when I'm having a better day and able to cook a dinner, I put some of it in containers in the freezer for the bad days.  Is this something you'd be able to do on a day when your pain isn't as bad? I've also found distractions like embroidery, attempting water colours, even colouring in, are a great help.  Are there any things you are interested in that might distract you from the pain? 
  • TheAlien
    Options
    Hi @SparklySue I online shop to, no way I could physically shop now.  The biggest issue with hot food on bad days is that my grip goes and I drop everything.  I've lost count of the number of times I've burnt myself, cut myself on broken crockery and knives, or ended up with a mess to clear up, so I tend to stick to things which are safer.

I do quite a few hobbies, I'm a patchworker, knitter and cross stitcher - it helps to keep my fingers mobile.
  • Rosie2x
    Options
    Maybe
    Bloody did something so stupid ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.