First Home Buyer - looking for advice on adaptions — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

First Home Buyer - looking for advice on adaptions

DylanEvans Member Posts: 24 Courageous
Hi all,

My partner and I are starting to look at buying a bungalow. We are aware that we will most likely need to adapt whatever we buy as we are both wheelchair users. We were looking for advice on what the process might include when seeking funding for adaptions etc. I have experience with adaptions from my current (parents) home but we are unsure how it works when we do not already own a property. The level of funding we can secure for adaptions will obviously affect what kind of property we can afford so ideally we would like to understand this process before purchasing. 

We have contacted social services, but just wondered if anyone here had personal experience of similar circumstances. Thank you.


  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 7,049

    Scope community team

    You must be excited to move in with your partner @DylanEvans :) Congratulations!

    This isn't something I have personal experience of, but I hope someone else with a similar experience will find your post soon. Your post has been tagged as 'unanswered' so that other members can see you haven't had an answer to your query yet.

    I haven't been able to find an answer to your question about how it'd work if you don't yet own the property. Most of the information I've seen assumes you already have the property, in terms of home visits and so on. Have you spoken to your local authority to see whether they can give you any guidance on this? 

    For some general information on housing adaptions, you might like to read our information and advice page on home adaptions.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 31 Connected
    Hi, how are you?
    Do you have an Occupational Therapist? They may be able to advise you further, however, I do know that there is a disabilities facilities grant available for those who own their own home, are a tenant and intend to live there for 5 years. I have attached a government website in which the grant is explained. 

    I wish you well in your endeavours. 
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.