First Home Buyer - looking for advice on adaptions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

First Home Buyer - looking for advice on adaptions

Options
DylanEvans
DylanEvans Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
Hi all,

My partner and I are starting to look at buying a bungalow. We are aware that we will most likely need to adapt whatever we buy as we are both wheelchair users. We were looking for advice on what the process might include when seeking funding for adaptions etc. I have experience with adaptions from my current (parents) home but we are unsure how it works when we do not already own a property. The level of funding we can secure for adaptions will obviously affect what kind of property we can afford so ideally we would like to understand this process before purchasing. 

We have contacted social services, but just wondered if anyone here had personal experience of similar circumstances. Thank you.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You must be excited to move in with your partner @DylanEvans :) Congratulations!

This isn't something I have personal experience of, but I hope someone else with a similar experience will find your post soon. Your post has been tagged as 'unanswered' so that other members can see you haven't had an answer to your query yet.

I haven't been able to find an answer to your question about how it'd work if you don't yet own the property. Most of the information I've seen assumes you already have the property, in terms of home visits and so on. Have you spoken to your local authority to see whether they can give you any guidance on this? 

For some general information on housing adaptions, you might like to read our information and advice page on home adaptions.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, how are you?
    Do you have an Occupational Therapist? They may be able to advise you further, however, I do know that there is a disabilities facilities grant available for those who own their own home, are a tenant and intend to live there for 5 years. I have attached a government website in which the grant is explained. https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants 

I wish you well in your endeavours. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @DylanEvans

How exciting about your potential move! 

I just wanted to check in to see how you're getting on with things and if you had found any further information in relation to adaptations and moving houses. @Poppy_ has also made some great suggestions and I wondered if you had had a chance to look into them too?

Please keep us updated on how you're getting on and how the situation is hopefully progressing. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • DylanEvans
    DylanEvans Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi @Libby_Scope

We have had some progress and unfortunately, the news isn't good. We have spoken with OT friends of ours and had their help navigating the council labyrinth. Eventually, we spoke to the Disabled Facilities Grant team and after a preliminary financial assessment, they have determined that we have too much income to be eligible for a DFG, on account of the fact that we both work full time. 

It strikes me as odd that being a couple with fairly average salaries disqualifies us from any support despite both of us having complex needs, but there we are. We have both taken decisions over the years to manage our conditions so that we could work, in the hope that this could give us security. It feels somewhat like we are being punished for those decisions now. 

Thank you for your advice and suggestions all, I must admit that I am feeling a bit at a loss at present and am unsure where to turn. Apologies for the slight rant.

Thanks again,
    Dylan
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

You may find a property that doesn't require adaptions 

I'm am in a new build bungalow as a full time wheelchair user and have not needed any adaptions.  It isn't classed as a disabled property 

Newer properties have doors wide enough 

It all depends on what you need and what you can manage as a workaround 

Yes in ideal world I would like lower kitchen units   wetroom etc but I manage with what I have 

Brightness