Just wondering how everyone copes when pip is refused? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just wondering how everyone copes when pip is refused?

Options
chacha85
chacha85 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hey just wondering how everyone copes when pip is refused? I have received pip previously but this time scored 0 even though my struggles haven't changed much I have diagnoses, i have no clue if i need to pay towards other costs I'm awaiting an call from CAB to discuss this things like council tax exemption. I'm worried I'm going to become depressed as I have an car that is due to back if MR unsuccessful and its the only way i travel as my partner drives me and travelling on transport causes me distress as i get lost easily and things get to much due to been on the Autistic spectrum. I have lost 10 stone since having an way to go out and about as I'm needing more operations (had 11) on my knee this now worries me that i can't get to appointments with physio, i did serve damage when 14 nearly lost complete use off leg, was taken into emergence surgery. I also go to regular hospital appointments for other things cardio and respiratory department mostly, even if i gain confidence to travel I'm not sure i could afford it some weeks I have 4 appointment. The assessment seemed OK but assessor seems to have made her mind up I mustn't struggle anymore as she insultingly said i've decided you can to everything I say I struggle with, had she of said I believe due to evidence wouldn't feel as bad. Anyway sorry for long post.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chacha85 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry the decision on your last PIP review wasn't as you expected. Unfortunately some of our members have experienced the same as yourself, with 'inaccuracies' reported. However, it's best to put your decision letter away, & concentrate on where you should have got points, & why.

As far as PIP goes, it's not about any diagnosis, as you probably know, but rather how your disability affects certain activities of daily living &/mobility. Have a look again at the activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP: 

https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/

With your MR, then give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty you face for each applicable descriptor, i.e. when did it happen, where, what happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity?

Say if you can't do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability.

Perhaps also discuss your MR with CAB & get their help in completing it too. Do put your MR in writing, putting your name & National Insurance number on each page.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hello @chacha85 thank you for reaching out, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience.

Chairieds has shared some excellent advice, which I can only echo. Definitely speak to CAB about your MR, and try and focus on those detailed examples of the difficulties you face for each descriptor. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling worried and distressed, it's completely understandable given what has happened. Try to remember that everything you're anxious about isn't happening right now, and you are taking the right steps to challenge this decision with an MR.

To help our members find your post I've changed the title a bit, and moved it to our PIP category, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Scope has a really clear overview about what to do if you want to challenge a decision, when you've had a break and feel ready to come back to things, give this a read. We are all here to support you, so if you're unsure of anything let us know. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    chacha85 said:
    assessor seems to have made her mind up I mustn't struggle anymore as she insultingly said i've decided you can to everything I say I struggle with, had she of said I believe due to evidence wouldn't feel as bad. Anyway sorry for long post.
    Just for reference, it's a standard letter that they send out.  Everyone gets the same 'I've decided you can manage' text, you're not being singled out and that wording doesn't really mean anything overall.  I don't know why it's worded in quite such a harsh & personal way...it does seem like it's done purposefully to make people feel guilty about having even applied in the first place.

As detailed up above, MR is your step, forget about the wording on the letter.  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.