Will some of us lose out — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will some of us lose out

Options
janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
After the announcement about the support from gov for increase in energy cost and watching Martin Lewis earlier

My understanding is that the £150 rebate on council tax won't be applied to those getting council tax reduction eg if they pay no council tax 

I get that if they don't pay CT then they cant give rebate but again that means lots of disabled people are missing out 

Does this mean for example if your annual bill is £80 you would get that rebate 

They did mention a discretionary fund to local councils for those on low income 

I might have got this all wrong but is what my understanding is so don't shout at me just correct me if I'm wrong 

If I'm right what are your thoughts 
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Its a lot to take in with it all Jane, the council tax the 200 pound towards energy costs and so on. I pay council tax  at a reduced rate
    Its all on question time now bbc
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The £200 electricity rebate paid in October this year is basically a loan to be repaid at £40 a year from 2023 for 5 years, although they did fail to mention that the energy cap could increase again by 25% later this year.

As for the £150 council tax refund which won't have to be repaid thats not as clear, as it varies by council how much you pay in our area its only 10% whilst 2 miles down the road under another council its 50%, it would be nice to think that whatever you pay at least that amount will be discounted.

I suspect more will come out tomorrow?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    My understanding is that the £150 rebate on council tax won't be applied to those getting council tax reduction eg if they pay no council tax 

I get that if they don't pay CT then they cant give rebate but again that means lots of disabled people are missing out 

Does this mean for example if your annual bill is £80 you would get that rebate 

They did mention a discretionary fund to local councils for those on low income 
    The chancellor’s response to that is that local authorities will have the discretionary fund you refer to which can be used to support those who haven’t benefited from the Council Tax rebate.

Who benefits from that fund will depend on how councils use it. Obviously the administration of these funds involves local authorities in extra work (and administrative costs). Where I live two adjoining local authorities have adopted completely different approaches to using the current winter discretionary fund. One requires people to apply for help and to include full financial income etc (much like applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment). The other has simply decided to pass the money on to people who receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction by providing them with vouchers of various kinds.

(The disadvantage of the latter approach is that there are many people not eligible for CTR who would be eligible for HB except for the fact that they receive help with rent through UC, these claimants will not be known to the local authority.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    For the last two years, my CT has been zeroed by the council due to the pandemic.  I was paying about £149 a year, at the start of the pandemic they decided all working age households in receipt of CTR would get £150 off their bill.  It hasn't been announced what they're doing this year, but I doubt they'll continue with the pandemic rebate.

As for the energy loan, I've never known energy bill come down, and I'd like to be given the option of not having it.  There's no guarantee that energy will be any cheaper when the loan repayments fall due, or that people will be able to afford the repayments.  To my mind, its an empty gesture and just storing up hardship further down the line.  Also, what happens if you change supplier for any reason in those 5 years?
  • janer1967
    Options
    Also on Martin Lewis show it said anyone who pays energy bills in future but not currently would still have to pay the £40 per year back even if they didnt get the rebate eg someone who is still living at home with parents but then in 2 years time get their own place and pay energy bill will have to pay the £40 charge even though they didn't take the loan 

So the parents will pay the loan and then the child who moved out will pay it too 

Mmm doesn't sound right to me 

I know it's early days and lots to work out bur already lots of what if questions 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    The more I hear about this, the more it sounds like a government con trick.
  • calcotti
    Options
    TheAlien said:
    For the last two years, my CT has been zeroed by the council due to the pandemic.  ... I doubt they'll continue with the pandemic rebate.
    The new rebate announced yesterday is effectively a continuation of the same rebate scheme for another year.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    janer1967 said:...anyone who pays energy bills in future but not currently would still have to pay the £40 per year back even if they didnt get the rebate eg 
    Mmm doesn't sound right to me 
    There’s no way round that. Fuel customers in October will get the ‘loan’ in October, it will be repaid by increased standing charges for customers from 2023 onwards (unless of course it’s too politically sensitive at the time in which case change should might be made). There will be those, as you say, who have to pay increased bills in the future who did not benefit from the £200. There will also be people who get the £200 who never pay it back because in the interim they’ve died. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am "trying" to go with the flow, as a lot of this is out of our hands but i am really worried about it all.
    I've never known any thing like this in our country, the nearest i can remember was back when we had lots of strikes and when interest rates were at a 15% high, money was tight then.
    It just feels that we should be happy that things are getting a bit better with the pandemic, but were all being hit with this, another big worry.
    I think we are going to see a lot more businesses go under.
  • janer1967
    Options
    @calcotti I get that it works both ways some people will not pay the loan back . 

I don't like the concept of being forced to take a loan I never asked for .

I don't know an alternative solution and doing it this way at least means the money will be spent on energy by everyone and there ars always pros and cons to everything 

In my opinion and its only my opinion the gov think they may win the nations trust back doing this but in reality could do the opposite when people realise the reality of the scheme 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Our electric bill is currently is currently £450 a year so if it goes up by 50% it will be £675 the £200 loan will bring it back to what it is now and I get it that this will have to be repaid over 5 years a period when it's quite possible wholesale prices will drop, we will have to wait and see.
    We are off grid for gas so have to use bottled LPG and for that we are at the mercy of the suppliers and that went up 25% last November and it has never been capped.
    Add on the £150 council tax rebate and in all honesty I don't think it's a bad deal.

• janer1967
    Options
    @woodbine I agree it will be good for some but not everyone 

For myself for example my bill is about £950 ,for both so will increase by £475 approx I will get the £200 in Oct to be paid back but I won't get the £150 council tax as my ct bill is only about £80 with ctr so even if I get £80 rebate cost will still be around £200 more next year 

I'm not complaining as we all expected this and don't expect the gov to cover all the cost but just giving a diffetent example 

And in reality with the £200 being a loan I may not get any support at all if I am not eligible for the ct rebate 

• janer1967
    Options
    My view is that it was supposed to be something to help the low income bracket but.in reality if they get ctr they may not benefit 

Disabled are a group of people who benefit from ctr and thus may not benefit from the rebate 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    If the £150 works anything like the pandemic support then it would either be if you had paid anything already it would be refunded and the balance set at £0. If you hadn’t paid anything and you have a balance still then it would just reduce. 

For example, the first time in terms of the CT pandemic payment I had paid my full amount of £165 and I was refunded £150. 

The second time it was just added to the bill calculations so it was shown as a minus and my overall CT was like £15 to pay. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My local Authority extended the support for an extra year so i haven't paid anything since the start of the pandemic. I'm not expecting to pay anything for 2022/23 either because of this extra £150. Normally i would pay about £9ish per month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    My view is that it was supposed to be something to help the low income bracket but.in reality if they get ctr they may not benefit 
    It will depend on how local authorities use the discretionary fund.

I still can’t decide whether this is a sensible proposition in terms of a pragmatic way of distributing money or very badly targeted. I am a fortunate person who will get the £150 but can manage quite comfortably without it - perhaps I’ll donate it to a food bank.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Sorry to keep adding stuff but another question that may get asked 

What if you are with 2 different energy suppliers eg one for gas and different one for electric do you get the loan twice ? 

@poppy123456 your roughly same as me with council tax so what happens to the other £60 as you bill is less than the £150 allowance 

Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for ct reduction and my other benefits and I know whatever the gov do won't please everyone 

I'm just playing devil's advocate and pointing out for everyone a few things that have crossed my mind about it all 
  • woodbine
    Options
    @janer1967 I think that the £200 will be deducted from electricity accounts as almost everybody has electricity whilst some people don't have gas, one other factor in April all benefits will increase by 3.1% (as far as I can see), and whilst that is below inflation it's the biggest rise for some time.

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with you @woodbine we wont see the money it will go directly to the suppliers to take off customers accounts. Yep think it is a 3.1% rise - going by hubby's pension.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The rise of 3.1% will be lower than inflation which the BOE has predicted will be around 7% unfortunately.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.