ESA Confusion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Confusion

Options
Tonawanda17
Tonawanda17 Community member Posts: 113 Courageous

Hi, i wonder if someone can help me.

I am confused by my esa entItlment letter. It says:

Limited capability for work - £77. Then extra support group money £40.60. Then that gives you a total income-related amount of £117.60. Then it says : No income will be taken off your ESA.Your income related amount is £117.60. Then - However, because you are entitled to contribution based esa we will pay you £117.60.

Is the support group payment means tested?

Thanks in advance

Bailey

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your ESA is Contributions based and not affected by savings/capital. Please see the advice given to you by calcotti on this thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/497177#Comment_497177

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Thanks. So the support group part on not affected either?

Bailey
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It's nothing to do with the support group. Old style ESA can be Contributions based with an Income Related top up, just Contributions based or all Income Related.
    Your whole ESA payment isn't means tested so savings don't affect it.
    New style ESA is a contributions based only benefit.
    As mentioned on the other thread, if you're claiming the old Contributions based ESA is there any reason why you're not claiming any Income Related top up? Maybe savings or other income?
    Or are you claiming New style ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi. Thanks very much for your patience with me.The latest entitlment letter doesn't mention new style at all. I live in Scotland and my area was one of the last to move to UC. Maybe this is something to do with it. I have other income for permitted work and some savings. 

Thanks again

Bailey
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When did you claim the ESA? If it was after December 2018 then it will be New Style ESA. 
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi, Thanks again for your help. I claimed esa in May 2013.

Bailey
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then yours will be the old Contributions based ESA. Whether you’re entitled to the income related top up will depend on your circumstances. Other income (not including your permitted work earnings) such as a working partner, pensions and savings/capital. 
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Thanks again. How much is the income related top up? The letter only shows limited work capability and support group. No mention of a top up.

Thanks

Bailey
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The letter only shows limited work capability and support group. No mention of a top up.

That's because your ESA is all contributions based. As advised, whether you're entited to the top up will depend on your circumstances such as..
     Other income (not including your permitted work earnings) such as a working partner, pensions and savings/capital. 
    You're not giving any information for me to be able to advise you.

• AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 240 Pioneering
    Options
    @poppy123456

Please, can you tell me if an old style ESA is available for a new claimant who is already on UC.
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @poppy123456

Please, can you tell me if an old style ESA is available for a new claimant who is already on UC.

No. New claims for the old legacy benefits are no longer possible. New style ESA can be claimed if they've paid the correct NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021 but it will be deducted in full from the UC entitlement.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi poppy. I am single, have no other income. I’m 37 so no pension and savings would be around 6000. Hope this helps. Thanks. Bailey
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    In that case you appear to be entitled to income based ESA. You should ring them and ask if they ever assessed you for income based ESA and ask to be assessed. 

Do you get any PIP?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Based on that information you should ring ESA and ask them to assess you for the income Related top up. The Enhanced disability premium is £17.75 per week (new April increase amount) it would have been less in previous years. This can be backdated to the date you were eligible for it.
    Do you claim either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care? If you do and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then you'll also be entitled to the Severe disability premium (£69.40 per week)
    For every £250 or part there of, of savings over £6,000 there's a £1 per week deduction in the Income Related top up.
  • calcotti
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Are you claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi poppy. I get dla medium rate care high mobility. My dad claims carers for me. 

Can I also just say that I am really impressed with your knowledge and speed at which you reply to me. 

You have put my mind at ease about the support group part not being means tested.

thanks

bailey
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi Calcotti
    i get council tax reduction but don’t claim housing benefit as I live with my parents. 

Thanks

bailey 
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Thanks for all your replys. I found this online which was confusing. But it looks like as my claim if contribution based with no income related add on it doesn't affect me.
    Here is what i found:

Bailey

How Do Savings Affect ESA Payments?

It depends on the kind of ESA placement you receive. If you are placed in the work-related group, your savings do not affect your payments. Also, if you apply under the “new style” ESA then savings do not affect your benefits. However, if those in the workgroup have a private pension worth more than £85 a week then it could affect ESA payments.

If you are placed in the support group, then your savings will affect ESA benefit payments. Those on the ESA-support group have a maximum savings limit of £16,000. That means if you apply for income-based ESA and have more than £16,000 in savings, you will not qualify for payments.

• calcotti
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Where is that information from? It isn’t helpful to quote information without providing the source. 

Whether you are in the assessment phase, the WRAG or the Support Group makes no difference to whether or not savings rules are relevant.

If the ESA is entirely contribution based then savings and income (with the exception of pension income in excessive of £85/week) makes no difference.

Your existing ESA appears to be entirely contribution based. However, based on what you have posted, it appears that you are entitled to an income based top up. When calculating the income based ESA top up any capital in excess of £6000 will make a difference.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    This is the website : How Much Savings Can You Have To Qualify For ESA? (lumio-app.com).
    Yes, i do understand that if i go for income based add ons savings etc will come into it.

Thanks again

Bailey

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.