ESA Confusion - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Confusion

Options
13»

Comments

• Tonawanda17
    Tonawanda17 Community member Posts: 113 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, i am aware it no longer exists. This was just to settle an agrument. Are you saying it wasn't affected by savings? Sorry for the missunderstanding
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, it wasn’t affected by savings. Please read the link I posted in my last comment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Thanks very much. I was on incapacity benefit in youth when i was young. I presume it is the same?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes it was the same.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi, thanks very much. I am curious as to how my old Incapacity benefit was calculated.
    I last got it in May 2013 and got £112.05 per week. I lost the award letter. Has anyone any idea how the figure was calculated? Am i correct in assuming it doesn't include any income support parts? Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Income Support was/is a separate benefit so it wouldn’t have included any of this. You would have needed to claim this separately at the time. 

For any further advice I’m afraid you will need to get some expert advice from an agency near you. 

Before you do this you can request any information DWP hold on you between specific dates. They will then send you what they have. This is called “Right Of Access “ https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-your-personal-information-from-the-department-for-work-and-pensions
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that. I think you have answered the question.If i understand you correctly you are saying that i would have recieved £112.05 for IB and then additional money for income support? I have only ever gotten IB/ESA  and DLA/PIP. So it doesn't look like i ever applied for Income support. You live and learn. Does that make sense? Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There was different rates depending on your disability. To be honest IB was before my time with benefits knowledge as by the time I achieved the knowledge IB was long gone and ESA was already in place. 

I didn’t claim IB myself, I claimed Income Support as a single mother. 
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi. Another question if you don't mind. If i wanted to buy stocks and shares and later i sold them for a profit would this affect my contribution based ESA or permitted work? Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi. Another question if you don't mind. If i wanted to buy stocks and shares and later i sold them for a profit would this affect my contribution based ESA or permitted work? Thanks.

Savings/capital do not affect contributions based ESA. If your ESA is more than £129.50/week then at least part of it is Income Related. Savings of more than £6,000 affect means tested benefits and there will be a deduction of £1/week for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000. Savings of more than £16,000 will mean there's no entitlement to any means tested benefits.

• Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi. i am sorry if i offended you by starting another topic. Just thought someone might know what the old rates were. my esa is 100% cont based. No top-ups or additions.
    Am i correct in saying that any profit from investments isn't earnings and so would affect permitted work?
    Thanks very much
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You didn't offend me but it gets so confusing when starting other threads on the same subject. It's better to keep to the same thread.

Profit from investments are capital and not income so wouldn't affect your ESA.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi. Can you tell me if the old small top-up i got on my first esa letter in june 2013 is income related. I lost part of the letter so can't tell. I seem to remember the top up relating to shifitng from IB to ESA and making sure you didn't end up with less money. Thanks
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi. I was looking at my first esa letter from 2013 when i moved over from IB. I got £112.05 per week. I lost the bit that shows how it was worked out. I looked at old rates online and can only get to £106.50. I think the rest could have come from a small top-up to do with moving over from IB so you didn't end up with less money. Does this sound right and if so i assume the small top-up wasn't income related. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When you transfered from IB to ESA there would have been a Transitional Protection in place so you weren't any worse off. This would have eroded over time with your ESA. It wouldn't have been the Income Related top up.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Yes, as usual poppy that makes sense. The origional letter states that i am entitled to Cont based but i would need to apply for income based which i never did. I also notice that the letters for this year and last make no mention of any top up of any kind. So thanks again so much.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    What's the reason you haven't every applied for any Income Related top up? I noticed that you were asking questions on a previous thread back in 2022 and i asked the same question but you never did respond.

ESA Support Group contributions based is £129.50/week. Are you living alone, with a partner? do you claim any pensions? have savings/capital of more than £16,000?
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi, yes are correct. I was only ever on cont based but i just left it that way so i could do what i wanted with regard to savings/capital etc
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Oh, i see. Savings of less than £6,000 are ignored. For every £250 or part thereof over £6,000 there's a £1/week deduction.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.