ESA Confusion - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Confusion

Options

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Had a quick look at that information. It's incredibly badly written and, frankly, some of the information is simply wrong and other parts are misleading. The bit on savings indicates that the author doesn't understand what they are writing about. The whole piece is full of factual errors, not least in talking about monthly ESA payments and the savings limits for pensioners (who can't claim ESA anyway).

The person who posted that information is thoroughly irresponsible in my opinion.

My advice would be to ignore what you have read on that page and, if that's representative of other information on the site, ignore anything else you read on it too. A reminder to consider carefully the source of information.

(I appreciate that you know nothing about me and will have to take a view about whether or not to trust what I say too.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tonawanda17
    Tonawanda17 Community member Posts: 113 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Calcotti. 
    I'm sorry if i confused anyone. There seems to be some bad information out there.

Thanks

Bailey
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just read that link and wow. It says "if you're in the work group then savings do not affect it" "if in Support Group your savings affect it." That's not exactly correct.
    The savings deductions on ESA is also incorrect. There's a £1 deduction for every £250 or part there of over £6,000 and not a £4.35 deduction, as it suggests. ESA is a weekly benefit paid fortnightly.
    I'm not at all surprised you got confused after reading that link.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Just read that link and wow. 
    It is appallingly bad and muddled isn't it! Some of it just plain wrong and much of it badly written in such a way as to be confusing/misleading.
    The author is described as "Fully qualified CISI Investment adviser". It is oft remarked that financial advisers of various kinds are not very good at understanding benefits and I certainly wouldn't take benefits advice from one.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi 
    One more question. My parents are thinking of giving me inherritance early. I would maybe buy a house to rent out. If i do this would the inherritance or the rental income effect my esa?

Thanks again

Bailey
  • poppy123456
    Options
    A financial adviser would be the last person i'd go to for benefits advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Hi 
    One more question. My parents are thinking of giving me inherritance early. I would maybe buy a house to rent out. If i do this would the inherritance or the rental income effect my esa?
    An inheritance/owning a house you do not live in would not affect contribution based ESA. It would end entitlement to any income based ESA.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi calcotti.

Thanks very much. I can't thank you all enough for putting my mind at ease.

Bailey
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi
    I do permitted work. Would the inherritance be added to my permitted work earnings which would take me over the PW earnings limit? Would this effect my esa
    Thanks

Bailey
  • calcotti
    Options
    An inheritance is not earnings and has no impact on Permitted Work rules.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Thanks very much

Bailey
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi

Are old style contribution based esa and "new" style esa almost identical? Is the only difference that you can't get Income top ups added to "new style"?

Thanks

Bailey
  • calcotti
    Options
    Tonawanda17 said: Are old style contribution based esa and "new" style esa almost identical? Is the only difference that you can't get Income top ups added to "new style"?
    Yes. Two differences however are that on new style ESA the claimant has to sign a claimant agreement and I think that on new style ESA any overpayments are recoverable by DWP even if the overpayment is the result of official error.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi. I got a letter in April telling me how much esa I would get. I was checking it today and am confused by the last part stating that they would pay me this between 6th April and 15th December.
    what’s confusing me is why december?

thanks
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Hi. I got a letter in April telling me how much esa I would get. I was checking it today and am confused by the last part stating that they would pay me this between 6th April and 15th December.
    what’s confusing me is why december?

thanks

That's because at least part of your ESA is contributions based. This will entitle you to the Christmas bonus of £10. The qualifying week for this is first full week of December so for that 1 week your ESA will increase by £10. After that it will revert to your usual amount.

As you're in the Support Group this is an ongoing award and continues for as long as you remain entitled to it, it doesn't have an end date.

Just to add further, this confuses and worries a lot of people who's ESA is contributions based/New style or part contributions based.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Yes, i am in the support group and 100% contribution based (No top ups).  I checked the wording again and the last part of the letter says "the amounts on this page apply from 15th  april 2023 to 1st december 2023. Yours sencerley, Manager" Does this still make sense to you?
    You are right in saying the wording of most of these things is very confusing. Thanks again
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Yes, i am in the support group and 100% contribution based (No top ups).  I checked the wording again and the last part of the letter says "the amounts on this page apply from 15th  april 2023 to 1st december 2023. Yours sencerley, Manager" Does this still make sense to you?
    You are right in saying the wording of most of these things is very confusing. Thanks again
    Yes, it does make sense. You will receive another letter later this year with different dates on going in to next year.
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Thanks very much for your help
  • Tonawanda17
    Options
    Hi, can someone tell me if the old incapacity benefit was contribution based and affected by savings?
    Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi, can someone tell me if the old incapacity benefit was contribution based and affected by savings?
    Thanks
    No it wasn’t. As you’re aware it no longer exists though. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/incapacity-benefit

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.