ADHD/ODD teenage daughter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ADHD/ODD teenage daughter

Options
alliM
alliM Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I'm brand new here, not sure where to start but life is just trauma and crisis day In day out!

My daughter is 15, diagnosed a year ago privately as waiting list is almost 4 years in Scotland for the new Neuro Developmental Pathway and I couldn't go on the way we were.

She has been on concerta and elvanse and is now starting amoxoetine as the stim meds made her not eat, lose weight and tbh I feel she was worse than before in some ways. I'm hoping the non stim meds work as I don't know what else to do tbh. She also self harms and that coupled with impulsiveness is hard on both of us. 

School refusal is a huge issue, and when she goes she wanders about the school so getting little education at all. 

She is just flapping about on waiting list after waiting list and I feel that i should be doing something 

I know no-one can fix it but suppose just wanted to rant haha

If you got to the end you deserve a medal 🏅 

Comments

• alliM
    alliM Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I'm brand new here, not sure where to start but life is just trauma and crisis day In day out!

My daughter is 15, diagnosed a year ago privately as waiting list is almost 4 years in Scotland for the new Neuro Developmental Pathway and I couldn't go on the way we were.

She has been on concerta and elvanse and is now starting amoxoetine as the stim meds made her not eat, lose weight and tbh I feel she was worse than before in some ways. I'm hoping the non stim meds work as I don't know what else to do tbh. She also self harms and that coupled with impulsiveness is hard on both of us. 

School refusal is a huge issue, and when she goes she wanders about the school so getting little education at all. 

She is just flapping about on waiting list after waiting list and I feel that i should be doing something 

I know no-one can fix it but suppose just wanted to rant haha

If you got to the end you deserve a medal 🏅 
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @alliM. I didn’t want to wander through without a comment. My adult daughter also has a diagnosis of ADHD so I can relate to what you say. She struggled with a loss of appetite when on medication and did try several brands. 

Sorry to hear about the self harm, this must be difficult for you both. I wonder if CAMHS are able to offer any help to your daughter? 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Good afternoon @AlliM

Welcome to the community :) 

Firstly, how are you coping? You clearly have a lot on your plate and everything must be having an impact on your well-being, do you have anybody else who supports you with looking after your daughter? 

Thank you for being so open and honest about the situation you are in, and the challenges your daughter faces, I imagine that as a parent you just want to ensure that she receives as much support as possible and can thrive. 

I have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk to see if we can offer you any support, please give it a read and get back to us :) 

I have moved your discussion over to our children, parents and families category, which is well worth a browse through to find any discussions you want to get involved with.

I hope to see you getting involved more around the community. This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 A few notable pages I’d recommend visiting would be:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.