SHORT PIP ASSESSMENT MENTAL HEALTH — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SHORT PIP ASSESSMENT MENTAL HEALTH

Options
ccollo21
ccollo21 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
Hi all, I’m new here. So I applied for PIP on 28th march 2022, had my assessment yesterday (30th may) and this morning at 8am I had a text from DWP saying they’d received my assessment report and I just had to wait for a decision. 

From start to finish my pip assessment only lasted 40 minutes- the assessor did say average time Is 45 mins to an hour for mental health assessments, however I’m now anxious and overly worried about how short the assessment felt, has anybody else with MH issues been in this situation? How did your assessment/decision turn out? I’ve requested a copy of the report and was told it’ll be posted but with bank holidays coming up who knows when I’ll receive this! 

Thankyou in advance! Sorry it’s long 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The time the assessment took doesn’t mean anything at all. An assessment can last anywhere up to about 2 hours, sometimes longer. 
    My shortest assessment was 10 minutes my longest was more than 1 hour and was successful both times. 
    Lots of people claim PIP successfully for mental health reasons. It’s difficult to compare yourself to someone else because we are all affected differently by those conditions. PIP isn’t awarded based on any diagnosis.
    Decision timescales are anything up to 12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ccollo21
    Options
    Thanks so much @poppy123456 I’m just so worried and anxious because I don’t know if I said enough or if the person assessing me could understand what I was trying to say- I’m worried he may have wrote it down wrongly or not interpreted it correctly. Im on 9 weeks since applying and the DWP told me once I’d applied it’s taking 12 weeks on average from application to a decision letter so im just hoping the next few weeks go quickly, im anxiously awaiting a copy of my report
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I must admit 9 weeks since you applied is exceptionally quick. We have members still waiting several months after applying. DWPs timescale of 12 weeks in total is very optimistic.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ccollo21
    Options
    I’m not sure if it goes by different areas? I don’t really understand how it works 
  • inkedmama
    inkedmama Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
    ccollo21 said:
    I’m not sure if it goes by different areas? I don’t really understand how it works 
    Hello...I applied 5th Feb, was assessed on 25th May, had report 2 days later. The report was accurate and recommended points were 14 care and 22 mobility.
    I just hope the DM agrees. Have you heard anything yet?
  • ccollo21
    Options
    @inkedmama nothing yet, it’s bank holiday the next 2 days so I guess I may have the report on Saturday, if not it’ll be Monday or Tuesday I think- hoping the assessment went well & the DM will also see my struggles, mental health is so difficult for even the best or health professionals to understand and pick apart sometimes. Good luck! Keep us updated :) 
  • ccollo21
    Options
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    Hello...I applied 5th Feb, was assessed on 25th May, had report 2 days later. The report was accurate and recommended points were 14 care and 22 mobility.
    Hope you don’t mind me asking- what grounds are you applying on? Is it physical or mental health? X
  • Kendo861
    Kendo861 Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    Hi I requested my report on a Friday and received it the following Wednesday
  • ccollo21
    Options
    Kendo861 said:
    Hi I requested my report on a Friday and received it the following Wednesday
    Hi, I called this morning to make sure it had been posted- it was sent Tuesday and with today and tomorrow being bank holiday they said it may come Saturday if not start of next week. Have you had your decision yet? Did they go off your report?
  • Kendo861
    Options
    Hi fortunately they went off my recommendation and I was awarded@kendo861
  • ccollo21
    Options
    How long after dwp received your report did you get your decision?
  • inkedmama
    Options
    ccollo21 said:
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    Hope you don’t mind me asking- what grounds are you applying on? Is it physical or mental health? X
    Physical..I have atrial fibrillation, enlarged heart, fibromyalgia and ehlos danlos syndrome..I am due to have open heart surgery in next 8w or so x
  • ccollo21
    Options
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    Physical..I have atrial fibrillation, enlarged heart, fibromyalgia and ehlos danlos syndrome..I am due to have open heart surgery in next 8w or so x
    Best of luck with your surgery! Hope everything goes smoothly xx
  • inkedmama
    Options
    ccollo21 said:
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    Thank you so much..x
  • inkedmama
    Options
    ccollo21 said:
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    inkedmama said:
    ccollo21 said:
    Keep me updated with your claim

• Kendo861
    Options
    Asessment 18 may, report 25,and my award 1st June , haven't received letter yet but back money in bank 1st June ,so 2weeks after asessment
  • ccollo21
    Options
    Kendo861 said:
    Asessment 18 may, report 25,and my award 1st June , haven't received letter yet but back money in bank 1st June ,so 2weeks after asessment
    Did you call them to ask what you’d been awarded at all? Just wondered with you still waiting for the letter 
  • Kendo861
    Options
    No I haven't spoke to them I'm just happy to get something IL take what comes
  • ccollo21
    Options
    UPDATE: my assessment report came today, he worded majority of things right and described my condition relatively accurate however he’s given me 0 points for all of the activities apart from engaging with other people- do decision makers usually go with points recommendations or the actual write up? Because the assessor has contradicted himself on the write up compared to points recommendations eg says I can’t cook unsupervised, take medication unsupervised, etc in his write up but has ticked all the boxes saying that I can do it unaided? Really worried now. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Before making the decision they are supposed to look at all evidence you sent, including the form and the assessment report. They do mostly go with the recommendations in the report but not always.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.