Hi, my name is Sakima! Advice please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Sakima! Advice please.

Options
Sakima
Sakima Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2022 in Start here and say hello!
I had a very, very severe stroke in my early 40's. I am mid 50's now n very slim n very healthy. I had a brain stem stroke, n I am in a wheelchair all day as I  am 95% paralysed, with just a little movement in my left arm n hand. Carers come in 3x a day, as I live on my own.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I was just wondering, as I had an embarrassing incident the other day, n I am keen to find out if this has applied to other disabilities, or whether it's probably down to my brain injury.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           It's a bit embarrassing to talk face to face with someone, like my doctor, n I haven't got a partner, so I was hoping that I could get some advice from here.
It didn't bother me much at first. But since my stroke, a certain part of me seems to be more sensitive during bed washes! N the other day it became very, very sensitive. That's why I'm asking.
Could this be a stroke phenomena, n has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sakima

Welcome to the community, thank you for joining us.

I appreciate you taking the first step and talking about your experience, it can be hard to talk about something when it embarrasses us so good on you for opening up about it :) 

If it is something that concerns you or if you do want to get some advice about it, the best person to speak with would be your doctor or medical team. I know it can feel daunting talking with your doctor about something you consider to be embarrassing, but I have been there myself on multiple occasions and every time the doctor has been absolutely lovely and reassuring. 

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Since your stroke have you had less physical contact? Could that be what's made you more sensitive? I don't have experience so can't share my own but your carers will be used to it I'm sure and the different ways different people respond. Maybe could you ask one of them as they may be able to reassure you? 
  • Sakima
    Sakima Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I haven't had physical contact since before the stroke, n yes since then it has, or so it seems, got more sensitive, so whether or not it's as a result of the blood clot, which led to my 'severe' brain injury I don't know. That's why I am asking on here. I am sure that the carer in question is quite used to it, but normally it only gets to just over halfwayish before it starts dying down, n that's ok, but the other morning, with this particular carer, it kept growing n leaked before she covered it with a towel, n then it died down. I am quite sure that I wasn't excited. I think the carers that get me up, 2, understand as it doesn't seem to bother them. It's just me. I have asked other stroke groups, but it doesn't seem that anyone has had such a severe stroke. That's why I am here. Actually, the past couple of mornings haven't been quite so bad. As for speaking to a carer, or rather this particular carer, I just couldn't. I am ok writing about it, but it's too embarrassing to talk to anyone face to face about it. Hopefully the other morning was a one off.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have any answers about the medical side but arousal and sensitivity is a natural response to touch and I don't think anyone has control over these so try and keep that in mindd as you shouldn't be embarrassed.
    I'm not a doctor or scientist but it makes sense that changes to your brain can change how it and your body respond to things. I get why you feel like you can't ask them but you won't be the only one to have those questions and if it puts your mind at ease maybe it is worth it? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree that, though it's totally understandable, you shouldn't need to feel embarrassed about it @Sakima :) If mentioning it to someone face to face feels like too much at the moment, could you try writing it down in a note and giving that to your carers or doctor? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.