Hi, my name is wintermum80! How should I go about getting a PA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is wintermum80! How should I go about getting a PA?

Options
wintermum80
wintermum80 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello I’m new here nice to be part of this community  😊 

My council has awarded me 11 hours of support for the first time and I’m not sure how about getting a PA without dealing with all the paperwork that comes with it !!! 

I’ve contacted some local care agencies but they are not really interested as I’m looking for more bespoke support and I don’t fit into there elderly care support criteria 

does anyone have any suggestions how I can find a PA please thanks 😊 

Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi @wintermum80  

Welcome to the community, it's lovely to see you join us :) 

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

I can understand that this may be a difficult subject to navigate, especially if it is your first time. I have tagged your post as unanswered and edited the title a bit so that other members know what it is in relation to.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @wintermum80 and as Ross says, welcome!  My name is Pete and I hope I will be able to help you.

I am doing a little research for you; I am probably not as mature as you :smile: and still not up to speed with life!  I employ my own PAs and do not go through agencies; this does mean I do have paperwork that I am responsible for. 

HOWEVER, it is my understanding that your council should:
    • be able to assist you in making your direct payments work, 
    • help find you people to fit your bespoke wishes & 
    • help take paperwork out of your hands.

This should ensure that you are not placed under any more stress.  That is the last thing you want!

However, please let me continue researching this over the weekend. I will get back to you with a plan of action.

Out of interest, in which part of the country do you live?

Pete

I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • wintermum80
    wintermum80 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi thank you for responding 
    i live in East London 

i keep getting pressured my the payments officer to decide for direct payment or to use one of there agencies. 

I had a social worker visit me once about it but I don’t see her anymore. 
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @wintermum80

Don't feel stressed or pressured! You need to get the right support that works for you.

Your local AgeUK will be a good place to start, the local branches often have a range of support services including offering home and community support. If you are looking for this information online it will be useful to research your local branch rather than the nation organisation.  You may reach Age UK on 0800 678 1602 lines open 8am - 7pm and they will give you details of your local branch. 

Many areas will have a geographically localised independent lives or disability association who should be able to support with information on local support providers. 

For example https://www.independentlives.org is a social enterprise supporting disabled people across Sussex and Croydon. They for example have a platform where individuals may recruit support directly. They also have a 'care agency' aspect for people who need support but don't wish to recruit themselves. They offer guidance and information to help people navigate the system and advise on all things related to independent living.

Disability Assist https://www.disabilityassist.org.uk offers a similar support service for the Kent area. They have designated information and advice support workers to help people get the most of their situation. 

Many of these organisations will be part funded by local councils which will have a say in who the organisations can support. Mostly this will mean that they are very limited to people within a geographical area. So a good first step will be to find out which organisations are supporting your area. 

Many professions and trades have benevolent trusts behind them which offer a similar support to people (and spouses) who have worked in that industry. For example someone who has been in the army/territorial army even/navy etc will have the support of SSAFFA saffa military charity for information and advice on a range of life issues regarding support. 

https://perennial.org.uk Perennial are a benevolent society who support those who have worked in the horticultural industry. 

These are just to show the range of potential support out there!

If they are not right for you, I would advise your payment officer and ask for help in finding the right support.

Please let us know how you get on.

Pete 

I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.