If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA Self-Employment Review

Options

Comments

• carbow32
    carbow32 Community member Posts: 115 Pioneering
    Options
    Still query the payment problem though
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,001 Pioneering
    Options

If you were registered as self-employed with HMRC then you must change your status with HMRC or they will continue to notify DWP every month that you are self-employed.  

• JayJayJuliette
    JayJayJuliette Community member Posts: 53 Connected
    Options
    I am so stressed right now I just received a message in my journal saying once I make the change of being unemployed as that's all I could click on as there wasn't any choice of saying I am no longer self-employed. The lady said I will need to have a Gateway Intervention Appointment, when I looked that up online it said that it is an appointment to see if I am gainfully self-employed. OH my goodness I am so confused, can anyone shed light on this for me? I am also worried if this is a new claim and that I won't get my cost of living payment this month for making a new claim. Talk about stressful :(
  • WhatThe
    Options

You can only register as self-employed with HMRC therefore you need to change your status with them asap

• carbow32
    Options
    I am registered with Universal Credit as self employed.  I am not registered with the Inland Revenue yet because I have not taken over 1K in revenue.  
  • carbow32
    Options
    They can't really find you gainfully self employed if you are not currently working because you feel unwell.  You would have zero income.  
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi Guys this all becoming so confusing for me. I read online that if you are on LCWRA you can work 16 hours a week if capable so why would I close my business down if I ever get  to feel better. I have been self employed for a year and notified HMRC that I didnt make over 1K and they withdrew my tax return. my head is spinning. Maybe this is why my work coach who really helped me very much in setting all of this up regarding LCWRA told me I didnt have to close the business down. Can anyone also tell me why I would have to now have a Gateway intervention apointment when that clearly says online that is to find out if I am gainfully self employed. I have now done what was told to me and made a change in my UC account and said I am unemployed as that was the only option to click on.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,140 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You do not need an appointment when you tell them you are no longer self employed. A gateway appointment only applies to those that are just starting self employment or just claimed UC when self employed. 

The eligibility criteria for the cost of living payment this time is you must have been entitled to a payment of UC for an assessment period that ended between 13th Nov and 12th Dec.

You’re already claiming UC so you don’t need to make a new claim. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi Poppy thank you for telling me that, so the the lady Rachel is incorrect as this is what she wrote to me this morning, I have copied and pasted what she wrote ( Thank you for your message. To correct you claim you will need to go online and update your claim. Please log on and from the home page select Report Change of Circumstance followed by Work and Earnings. You need to report that you are no longer self employed. Once this has been done you will need to attend a Gateway Intervention Appointment.) 

Kind regards, Rachel.
  • WhatThe
    Options

Can anyone also tell me why I would have to now have a Gateway intervention apointment when that clearly says online that is to find out if I am gainfully self employed.

Because you are registered as self-employed with HMRC but don't earn enough to be considered 'gainfully self-employed' for UC purposes (UC's words not HMRC)

• WhatThe
    Options

Much of what they tell us is incorrect. Any change of circumstances (CoC) is an excuse to alter your claim, bury the facts and create havoc for claimants. However nice they pretend to be, they are not!

• JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Gosh well thats a bit frightening to say the least and especially when a person is really unwell :( Why would they be so cruel :(
  • carbow32
    Options
    Does it make more sense if you view the appointment as being found either not gainfully employed or gainfully employed.  Which you would be found not gainfully employed.

You still need to sort out them applying the minimum floor criteria because that should not be the case.  They have made an error.
  • WhatThe
    Options

They always have been in my experience - 17 years and counting..

We are just pawns in the UC experiment. "Test and learn" was as far as they got before the 10,000 claimant cap was lifted and the UC Programme accelerated last year, I believe.

It needs to be scrapped but nobody is listening. 

• JayJayJuliette
    Options
    Hi Carbow yes it it could but if you are given a letter to say they have decided that I am now granted LCWRA and I no longer need to work or look for work and have been told I am no longer gainfully self employed no it dosnt really  
  • WhatThe
    Options

Jay Jay you never were gainfully self-employed..
  • WhatThe
    Options

"gainfully self-employed" that should read
  • JayJayJuliette
    Options
    HI What The, you made me LOL thank you, needed that, when you said about the experiment because every govenment department is just like this across the world. And actually I was gainfully self employed in the begining as I did make a little money before I became unwell
  • WhatThe
    Options

But you were only ever "gainfully self-employed" if UC had assessed you for that and decided that you were but from what you've said, they didn't and want to now. 

It's a made-up term and different from HMRC's registration for tax purposes. 

I would ring HMRC on Monday to see what your status is with them. 

• WhatThe
    Options

I was EMPLOYED when I made my second UC claim but they decided I was self-employed, created an overpayment on my first award, applied the MIF and created a CoC on my account every month. 

And every month they notified my local authority for council tax purposes of my supposed self-employed earnings.

The only way I could stop this was to stop reporting my earnings every month to UC since it was my employer's responsibility to report my earnings to HMRC. UC ended my claim and I was forced to claim again with considerable financial loss to myself. I no longer work and could not trust them to manage my claim if I wanted to. 

It's not the same as your case as I have never been self-employed but it shows the lengths they are prepared to go to..

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.