Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, I'm Zila!

Options
zila
zila Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited July 2022 in Start here and say hello!
Joined ages ago, never got around to posting. I'm 29, have multiple physical and psychiatric disabilities (such as narcolepsy, phobic anxiety disorder and autism), and these days have a lot more support and accommodations to meet my needs, but it's still tough being a disabled woman in an ableist society with an underfunded healthcare system. I'm hoping to find solidarity and friendship in the community here.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @zila :) How are you doing today? Are you managing okay in the heat? 

Thank you for making your first post here, it's great to see you active on the community! Thank you also for telling us a bit about yourself and your experiences.
    it's still tough being a disabled woman in an ableist society with an underfunded healthcare system
    This is something we hear quite a lot from people. What would you say the main challenges you face as a disabled woman in an ableist society are? 

I hope that you manage to find solidarity and friendship here. You're welcome to take a look around the community, and get stuck in at your own pace. Here are a few good places to start:
    If you need any support, please just let us know!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @zila i am glad you've decided to join us, have you been looking around the site yet, you can join in with any of the chats/threads/debates or games.
  • zila
    zila Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome, @Tori_Scope :) I live in a basement flat, so although it's chilly in the winter it's nice and cool in the summer! Handy for me, as I'm heat intolerant and can't really handle temperatures above 21ºC or so.

The disability-related challenges I face are partly because of my disabilities themselves, but also largely because of lack of understanding from others. This ranges from ignorant comments (a stranger on a bus once pinched my arm and told me I might not need a cane if I lost some weight and prayed to Jesus) to outright discrimination; for instance, I once had a boss who yelled at me for having an epileptic seizure and told me using a mobility aid made me seem unprofessional and untrustworthy. I was also forced to withdraw from university in 2014 because the institution's policies for medical leave created an incredibly hostile environment.

As for issues of underfunding, I've been told it's not worth the money to figure out the cause of some of my health issues because there's "probably no treatment" for them. Others have been diagnosed, and treatment does exist, but it's not available from my local services. I've also been on a waiting list to see for a gastroenterologist for over a year, trying to identify the cause of the chronic nausea I suddenly developed in 2019, which my doctors initially didn't want to investigate at all because it didn't seem like a big enough deal to them.

This post got very long and sad, so to end it on a lighter note, here's my cat! He's an indoor cat, but enjoys venturing outdoors on a harness and lead. We've been enjoying the sunshine out in the garden lately. 

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What a lovely cat @zila I'm sure he loves your company :)

I'd just like to add my hello and a warm welcome to the community, it's great to have you join. I'm Alex, and I'm a part-time wheelchair user, with cerebral palsy (CP). Thanks for taking the time to be so open and honest about the ableism and discrimination you've experienced. 

I am glad to hear that you have support around you, and that you're able to live more independently, and I know that a lot of members on the forum can relate to the feeling of living in an ableist society, you are not alone here.

Sometimes we can almost become accustomed to these types of attitudes as it happens daily, but it's really not how society should be. I hope you find the community here a supportive and friendly place to spend time.  

Let us know if we can help with anything and hope you are staying cool today!

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.