My friend said I’m a fake — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My friend said I’m a fake

dp267p
dp267p Community member Posts: 69 Connected
Hi

One of my friends said I’m a fake for claiming PIP. 

He said how can you say you need prompting encouraging to wash/bathe, get dressed, help manage your budgets, engage socially etc

he said anyone can say they need prompting when they have depression and anxiety to wash and dress. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Doesn't sound like much of a friend to be honest

I have always avoided telling anyone what benefits we are getting to avoid being judged.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    dp267p said:
    Hi

One of my friends said I’m a fake for claiming PIP. 

He said how can you say you need prompting encouraging to wash/bathe, get dressed, help manage your budgets, engage socially etc

he said anyone can say they need prompting when they have depression and anxiety to wash and dress. 

I would have responded with an expression that starts and ends with the letter foxtrot.
  • Cartini
    woodbine said:

I have always avoided telling anyone what benefits we are getting to avoid being judged.
    Likewise.  I was recently privvy to conversation where a work colleague was moaning about people having mobility cars and benefits that go with it.  I just looked at him and thought ignorant "pregnant goldfish".

• Cartini
    we've done nothing wrong and yet we feel ashamed.
    Never feel ashamed, I`m not and don`t.

• dp267p
    They also said I’m a fraud because nobody even courages me to shower and dress anyway. It’s not like I have a support worker. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    That must have been really upsetting @dp267p :( These views often come from a place of ignorance or misunderstanding, which isn't helped by the media rhetoric that people who claim benefits are 'scroungers' or 'lazy' and so on, which obviously isn't the case. 

It's not your responsibility, but would you feel able to have an open discussion with your friend about the reality of the challenges you face, and how their comment made you feel?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:

Hi @w@woodbine isn't it sad though that we have to avoid saying anything so that we are not judged, we've done nothing wrong and yet we feel ashamed.
    If I'm honest I don't feel ashamed, I just don't see it as anyone else business.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• dp267p
    So should I not be claiming because I don’t brush my teeth and shower regularly. 
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    Hello dp276p

Does your friend live with you and see you 24 hours a day 7 days a week? If the answer is No then you can completely ignore that person. That person is not your friend to say something like that to you.

Kind Regards
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    Cartini said:

I would have responded with an expression that starts and ends with the letter foxtrot.

Foxtrot Oscar ;)
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Never feel ashamed, I`m not and don`t.
    This is spot on. 
    Nobody at all knows you and what goes on in your life, only yourself.

@dp267p My only advise is that you should make a new friend.
  • Cartini
    Cartini said:

Foxtrot Oscar ;)

;)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @dp267p We give meaning to our lives and life to others words, without a listener another’s words are simply noise. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• dp267p
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @dp267p. It is the very least you deserve. How are you doing today? I hope you are well but if we can do anything to help, please don't hesitate to let us know, we are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Lawny
    Lawny Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Your friend sounds delightful. Is it Piers
    Morgan? 
    On a serious note, your friend needs to go forth and multiply.
    You don’t have to explain yourself to anyone and normally people with this attitude can’t be shifted. Some people just lack empathy. 
    Hope you are having good days.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I was talking with a person about benefits ect and she said but you don’t look disabled riding my mobility scooter. My reply was you don’t look ignorant but you are. We left both of us happy with a better understanding of my disability discernment of information can be an educational journey for the uninformed.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Don't doubt yourself and imo your friend was wrong to say this to you. You have an illness and have been given an award according to your needs so hold your  head up high  and well done.

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.