Hi, my name is JaneS1965! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is JaneS1965!

Options
JaneS1965
JaneS1965 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone 👋  Just been diagnosed (by an NHS physio) with lumbar spinal stenosis after years of being told it was just muscle pain. Feeling a bit blue and found you! 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @JaneS1965

Welcome to the online community, it's lovely to see you join us and thank you for introducing yourself.

Receiving a diagnosis can come as quite a shock sometimes, especially when you've spent many years being told it was just muscle pain. It's important to allow yourself the time to process the situation and get as much support as you need now that you have your diagnosis.  In some ways, now that your medical team know what is causing your pain, they should hopefully be able to support you better.

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    JaneS1965 said:
    Hi everyone 👋  Just been diagnosed (by an NHS physio) with lumbar spinal stenosis after years of being told it was just muscle pain. Feeling a bit blue and found you! 

Hi Jane,
    Like you, I`ve just been diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis. 
    I`ve suffered with lumbar & cervical spondylosis for 24, and only recently have I been put forward to see the physio.  After an appointment with the surgery physio, he put me forward for an MRI, following which I was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis.
    Following the MRI, I made a request for pain relief medication; the Dr I spoke to gave me a load of balloney saying that pain isn`t really pain, implying that I didn`t really suffer pain.  After 15 minutes putting my argument foreward I was prescribed with 15mg meloxicam a day; It`s early days, but the medication appears to be working better than just 30mg of amitriptyline at night.

• JaneS1965
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies and I am sorry for my delay replying. Cartini I appreciate you sharing your story and I'm so glad that you're getting some help now. "Pain isn't pain" is only something someone whose never experienced excruciating pain would say! I'm sorry you had to experience that. When I get home from work I'll start having a good look around the site. Thank you again and have a good day everyone. xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good morning @JaneS1965 :) Welcome to the community!

There's no need to apologise at all. Please feel free to take a look around the community and reply to stuff at your own pace. I hope that you have a good day at work, and look forward to speaking to you later!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @JaneS1965! 👋🏻 

Thank you for reaching out and please remember you are not alone. 

A friendly welcome to you on the Scope online community. 

I feel your pain, personally I have chronic pain following a back injury. That must be a huge weight on your shoulders, and I acknowledge how difficult it is to live with pain.

You may find the links below helpful, they certainly helped me:

https://www.vidyamala-burch.com/

Also, have you thought of trying a Pain Management Program? Your GP Doctor can refer you. Take care 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• JaneS1965
    Options
    Thank you Jo and Tori and everyone whose said hi. I'll be looking into the links people have posted 👍
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    JaneS1965 said:
    Thank you Jo and Tori and everyone whose said hi. I'll be looking into the links people have posted 👍
    Good to hear you will be looking into the links people have shared :) I hope you enjoy taking part in the community, and please feel free to ask if you ever have any questions.

I hope you are staying safe and well in this heat :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.