Boredom

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,985 Championing

I know this has been done before in various formats but just to see if anyone has any new ideas.

Does anyone get bored in the day due to being unemployed and/or not being able to get out of the house for whatever your reasons are?

How do you cope with the boredom?

For those who are indoors a lot yet don’t get bored, what do you do to keep yourself occupied?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,611 Championing
    Great question @66Mustang :) 

One solution I sometimes use for boredom is to find entertainment in somebody else. For example, I'll go and interact with my partner and ask about what she is up to and how she is feeling.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 596 Empowering
    Hi @66Mustang,
    I was stuck in shielding for months on end, I read that many books that I consider myself to be fully qualified as a librarian in the history section ha ha. I’ve done all The Plantagenets, The Tudors, The Stuarts, The Mongolian Empire, The Turkish Empire and have now moved on to The Vikings. 
    Love a good book. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Karen7788 said:
    Hi @66Mustang,
    I was stuck in shielding for months on end, I read that many books that I consider myself to be fully qualified as a librarian in the history section ha ha. I’ve done all The Plantagenets, The Tudors, The Stuarts, The Mongolian Empire, The Turkish Empire and have now moved on to The Vikings. 
    Love a good book. 
    Which of those has been your favourite so far?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,537 Championing
    edited August 2022
    I do get bored I must admit, so I might potter in the garden or find a small diy job to do. Maybe post a bit on scope. Eat a biscuit with a cup of tea. Meditate for a while. Read a bit. Keep up with the news...not always a good idea. Sometimes I play an instrument. Strangely though the day is often quite long the weeks seem to fly by! 

In the evenings I watch tv mostly but I make it a rule not to watch it during the day. 🙂
  • Karen7788
    Hi @Ross_Scope,
    The Plantagenets, I’m a member of the Richard 111 Society. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,107 Trailblazing

I have a boredom threshold lower than a snakes belly in the grass.

I can`t suggest how other people can deal with boredom, but how I deal with it is I tend to just switch off; essentially a body without an inner person.  Many times I`ve been caught out in work meetings when I`ve switched off; I only show some semblance of life when I hear my trigger word: "Andy".

• Ross_Alumni
    Hi, I am feeling very lonely today.   
    Hello, thank you for sharing how you feel. I'm sorry that you are feeling lonely today. Hopefully taking part in the community can help you feel better. What sorts of things do you enjoy doing? What are your hobbies?
  • leeCal
    edited August 2022
    We have a thread called Kaleidoscope @Charlie1973 where you can post your art if you like. I’m not that good at drawing myself but I do have a go now and then. Do you find art therapeutic? I think it is, music too come to think of it.

https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/41283/kaleidoscope-our-own-gallery-for-members-art-work-crafts-and-photographs#latest
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hi @Charlie1973

Thank you for replying and telling us about your interests. It's a shame that you haven't the space to put everything, but based on your interests you sound like a very creative person indeed. Do you find sketching / drawing relaxing?

Also, as asked by 66Mustang in this thread, do you have any tips for overcoming boredom?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 58,061 Championing
    Yes I do get bored, I did think about trying a few hours at a job of some sort but then reality stepped in. I'd be off more then there. As proved in the past. 
    I read alot on Google, utube has lots of intresting things on it too. Watching dramas and documentary s on tv, doing art or writing.
  • Karen7788
    Hi @Charlie1973,
    Hopefully you will trying sketching again, anything that you find relaxing is good. I can’t draw at all but I do like the mindfulness colouring books when I’m feeling a bit stressed. My sister does them too and has quite a following on instagram with them. It was my sister that got me into them. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,388 Championing
    I'm a bit like woodbine I have to set myself at least one job a day so I don't get bored.
    At the moment my ironing board is set up in the lounge, I hate seeing it but it does help me to "press on" ha ha with my ironing, as i can only do a little at a time.
    The Doc has told me to try and walk through the pain more, so I try going out and doing a bit each day, my eldest son brought me one of those fit bands so I can see how many steps i do and it pings at me if i havn't moved ha ha.
    This also help's me with being confident in using my walking stick.
  • 66Mustang
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I haven’t replied to all individually as there are so many replies but I did read and appreciate them all.

@karen7788 have you read anything about the Romans? They are my favourite people from history I think!

@leecal I have found exactly the same about the days and weeks. The hours seem to tick by slowly but I don’t know where all the weeks go.

@woodbine good tip to do at least one thing a day, often I feel that the day is a bit dead when I haven’t achieved anything. 

@sueheath sorry to hear about your pain, I always wonder whether there are any doctors who have pain conditions themselves and would they still tell people to just walk through it? I’m glad the fit band helped though :)

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,388 Championing
    Are you feeling bored at the moment @66Mustang xx
  • 66Mustang
    @SueHeath I’ve managed to find bits to do today so not too bad thanks @SueHeath but yes generally I feel bored during the day
  • leeCal
    Don’t fancy building miniatures (airfix) or castles from matchsticks @66Mustang?
    i used to both those things years ago. 🙂
  • 66Mustang
    @leeCal I used to love Airfix, well I loved building them, when it came to painting them I always used to get it wrong!!
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,924 Championing
    What does getting it wrong look like @66Mustang:p
  • leeCal
    I know what you mean @66Mustang, you need very small paintbrushes and a plan from the beginning almost. Lol.
  • 66Mustang
    What does getting it wrong look like @66Mustang:p
    Imagine a plane that has been in battle and been totally wrecked

Actually maybe I could claim that’s what my models are supposed to be :p