Change of circumstance has triggered transfer from DLA to PIP

Options
Skysummer
Skysummer Community member Posts: 22 Connected
Afternoon all,

I have just posted my first PIP form due to me becoming more unwell and getting two new diagnosis. This has triggered a move from DLA to PIP.

How long are people waiting to hear back please? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Championing
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Unfortunately there is no fixed timescales but don't expect anything soon 

The priority is clearing new claim backlogs 

Some on here have been waiting around 10 to 12 months for changes but others dealt with quicker 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,649 Championing
    Options
    Hello @Skysummer

Thanks for telling us about your situation. I appreciate that hearing that it may take a long while isn't the greatest news, but fingers crossed you get through it quicker than many others are at this current time.

How are you feeling about the move from DLA to PIP? How did you find filling out the form?
  • Skysummer
    Options
    Hello @SkysummerRoss_Scope said:
    Hello @Skysummer

Thanks for telling us about your situation. I appreciate that hearing that it may take a long while isn't the greatest news, but fingers crossed you get through it quicker than many others are at this current time.

How are you feeling about the move from DLA to PIP? How did you find filling out the form?

I have been preparing for the move anyway for the last 18 months, screen shooting advice on my conditions and how others have explained things so that it fits in the right descriptors. 

With a lot of help from family and a support group members we have very slowly gone through and wrote under each descriptor in great detail how things affect me, it’s so easy to think how we live is normal, but we have to adapt and use aids all the times that we forget. 

We made a file on the pc and when the form came we just wrote please see attached, then it was easy to change things on the pc. 

Made sure I had gathered all my evidence before I applied, and wrote under each descriptor the name, occupation, date and page of the evidence I had enclosed. 

We also asked for an extension. 

I was lucky my GP sent a three page supporting letter and my M.E Practitioner sent an eight page report, plus I sent consultant letters and a letter from a family member, plus a typical day diary. A lot of work went into this, dwp will hate us lol.

People need to remember the 50% rule. I.e. if you can’t do something for half the time you will be assessed as not being able to do it. 

Remember to put your name, dob and national insurance number on each piece of paper you send. Also number each page and reference it as evidence under which ever descriptor it references.

It’s a horrible process and it makes you realise how disabled you are and how you once were before illness struck.

Also pay the extra and send signed for so you have evidence of posting, and don’t forget to copy everything for your file before sending 😃🤞

Sorry for the long reply, but if I can assist others with the process by reading this than that’s my good deed for today.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,649 Championing
    Options
    Wow you were very prepared indeed @Skysummer, thanks for sharing how you approached it  :)  I'm sure that others will find your comment very helpful :) 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 485 Empowering
    Options
    Good afternoon @Skysummer and welcome to the online community.

Thank for posting such an informative post and as Ross says I am sure our members will find it useful. The other important thing to remember is in addition to the majority of time rule is the reliability test.  You should not be treated as being able to carry out an activity unless you can carry out that activity safely and repeatedly and to unacceptable standard and  in a reasonable time period.

Good luck with your claim and I hope you have an a successful outcome but do keep us posted and we can support and give information and advice about any next steps. 

• Skysummer
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    Good afternoon @Skysummer and welcome to the online community.

Thank for posting such an informative post and as Ross says I am sure our members will find it useful. The other important thing to remember is in addition to the majority of time rule is the reliability test.  You should not be treated as being able to carry out an activity unless you can carry out that activity safely and repeatedly and to unacceptable standard and  in a reasonable time period.

Good luck with your claim and I hope you have an a successful outcome but do keep us posted and we can support and give information and advice about any next steps. 

Thank you. Yes sorry I forgot to add this to my post. I wrote this on every descriptor a,o g with % of days I was affected. No good writing “sometimes” or words like that, you need to put it in % or days😃
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,980 Championing
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this tip with us too @Skysummer. I am sure your thread will help a lot of our community members  :)
  • Skysummer
    Options
    Got a text today to say phone assessment on 23rd Sept.

Thats just six weeks after sending change of circumstance form, which has triggered changing from DLA to PIP 😳

Not sure if the very quick turn around is a good sign or not? Fingers crossed 🤞 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,308 Championing
    Options
    Skysummer said:

Not sure if the very quick turn around is a good sign or not? Fingers crossed 🤞 

It doesn't mean anything other than your claim has been extremely quick.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,392 Online Community Programme Lead
    Options
    Good luck for the assessment @Skysummer, please let us know how you get on.
  • Skysummer
    Options
    *UPDATE*

Had my phone assessment Friday morning,

The assessor (a nurse) said I sent a lot of info which was really helpful. She said if I found it too much to answer any questions in full, I could just say please refer to my form. I have never heard that assessors state this before?

She seemed very nice and no trick questions or pushing me for answers, but time will tell.

I did my best to answers the questions but did say a few times please see my form.

At the end, which was one half hours later, she said you must be exhausted so go rest for the day. I have been exhausted since.

Then five and half hours later, I was in bed asleep, so exhausted, but I was woken by a text from DWP to say they have received the assessors report already.

So all in all the whole process has been extremely quick.

Going to call on Monday and ask for the assessors PA4 report. Fingers crossed I get what I am entitled too, or it’s down the MR route and tribunal if needed.

Good luck to everyone going through this process, do your homework, find the assessors guides online and first and foremost take care of yourself, the process is harsh on our already fragile bodies.

Will update when I get the outcome.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Championing
    Options
    Once you have the PA4 you can use this to see what has been recommended although I am sure you are aware it really is down to the Decision Maker:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test-form

Decisions are taking between 2-12 weeks too; I look forward to hearing further updates.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    Thanks for the update @Skysummer it sounds like you managed the assessment really well :) If anything comes up between now and when you receive your decision letter, just ask, and we'll do what we can to help. 

I know it might be quite a wait now, but the community is here to support you whatever happens!

Alex
  • Skysummer
    Options
    UPDATE..

Enhanced on both. Well over the points needed as well. 

Good luck to those going through the process.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Good news. Your first PIP payment will be around 7 weeks after the decision was made. You should receive 1 more DLA payment in the meantime.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    That's wonderful @Skysummer you must be very pleased? :) 

Thanks for sharing your update with us, and for wishing good luck for others going through the same process. The lovely thing about the community here is that we all support each other!
  • Skysummer
    Options
    Good news. Your first PIP payment will be around 7 weeks after the decision was made. You should receive 1 more DLA payment in the meantime.
    Thank you. May I ask why the wait of 7 weeks? And why don’t you get any back pay from when you first applied, I thought I might possible get the difference between my DLA award and the new PIP enhanced, but seems not?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Championing
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Skysummer said:?. May I ask why the wait of 7 weeks? And why don’t you get any back pay from when you first applied,
    Because it is the way the legislation was written for transfers from DLA to PIP.  Why it was written that way is beyond my knowledge.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Skysummer said:
      I thought I might possible get the difference between my DLA award and the new PIP enhanced, but seems not?
    There's been a few other people in the past couple of weeks that thought exactly the same thing. Your claim has been extremely quick compared to other members, so that's a good thing at least.

• Skysummer
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Skysummer said:?. May I ask why the wait of 7 weeks? And why don’t you get any back pay from when you first applied,
    Because it is the way the legislation was written for transfers from DLA to PIP.  Why it was written that way is beyond my knowledge.
    This seems so unfair, and confusing.

If you put in a new claim for PIP you and get awarded, you get back pay from the day you phone and applied, but with a change of circumstance you are not treated equally. This surely is discrimination?

If you already get DLA you have been assessed as needing help, where as a new claim this is yet to be established.

So seeing the following, am I missing out on money due to the transfer?

Was on low care DLA and high moboility 

Phoned and asked for PIP form on 24th June.

Got awarded enhance on both 🎉🎉🎉

Letter states they will award me from 9 November 2022 - 22 September 2026. 

They will pay £303.60 into my account on 2nd December, this money is money we owe you from 9 November to 1 December 2022.

We will then pay every four weeks in arrears on a Friday. So when is my first regularly payment?

My next DLA payment is on Tuesday 18th Oct and I assume my last, the following DLA payment should be 15th November?

So is £303.60 the money from last DLA on 18th Oct - PIP starting on 1 December?

Thank you in advance, this has completely confused me.