Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

I'm 18 with ADHD and want to know if I'm eligible for pip?

Annabellalula Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I want to work but I my ADHD has affected my learning ability to spell and write I've always struggled academically but verbally I can talk and communicate with people very well terrible at being organised and travelling alone triggers my anxiety I'm also below average when it comes to maths certain noises can trigger me too I get lost very easy I also struggle cooking and hate living alone I'm on child support I'll be off soon and my mom cant work she has problems I know if I start working and live with her I will effect the rent because I will be seen as an income I wish to know am I likely to be accepted for pip with my issue.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,294 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    PIP isn’t awarded based on any diagnosis. What matters is exactly how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. 
    It’s also not about being unable to work. People claim PIP and work. 
    As we don’t know exactly how your conditions affect you it’s not possible to tell you whether you will qualify. 
    You can get some expert advice from an agency near you and they will tell you if it’s possible to score enough of points needed for an award. This link will tell you what advice agency is local to you.
    There’s some info here
    Once you leave full time education and your mums benefits for you stop, whether you working will affect the help she receives with the rent will depend on exactly what benefits she claims. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Annabellalula and welcome to the online community :) 

    Thank you for telling us a bit about yourself, and I hope the reply you have already received from Poppy has been helpful.

    When you are in work you can ask an employer to make adjustments so that you can look to overcome any barriers that would otherwise impact on your ability to carry out the job. If any of your conditions are a concern for you when it comes to finding work, it might be worth giving this page a read and considering what sort of adjustments could work for you. Scope have a range of employment services as well that you can read about here, in case any of them are of interest.

    Do you currently have any support in place to help you with managing your conditions and with daily tasks? For example, is your GP aware of how your anxiety can impact you and have they been able to provide any support for you to manage it?

    This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

    • The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

    If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.